It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Republican vetos constitutional carry.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
So I guess this is what passes for a Republican in Oklahoma

www.tulsaworld.com...

Gist of this is a Republican governor in a traditionally red state vetos constitutional carry. Article goes on to talk about another law she signed that protects adoption agencies who want to not adopt to same sex couples based of religious grounds. I went on to do some quick research on this governor, Mary Fallin, and it looks like she has vetoed other pro gun bills....
www.nraila.org...
before. Are we starting to see the decline of the gun-rights party? I mean, if this can happen in Oklahoma what does that say about whats possible everywhere else?
edit on 11-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: Accuracy

edit on 11-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: Accuracy

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

I moved from oklahoma afee years ago. Its the "reddest state" but not in values, its the most republican rino establishment clearly swamp infested state hiding in plain sight. The gin laws there suck. Maybe not compared to Cali. But compared to AZ or UT they suck.

I had she would sign it, but had my doubts. I hoped that it would spur other red states to follow suit.

It seems that congress and MF (haha) are skeered or plain out have distain for their base.

I was afraid she would let the clock run out and default veto, i read some feared this. But man just was so bold to say no. I heard osbi lobbied to keep the 2a tax scheme permit fees going.

I also read that the legislators just needed to stay in session for a few more days and could have passed it veto overide but im sure they had better things to do.

Sorry its a soft spot. All gun laws are an infringement

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
That bill was going to allow people to open carry without a training course or license. It also stopped appropriate background checks on people. That bill was not actually a good bill, we need some control over who can carry in public or we will have mass chaos in the streets and country. I am not for having people brandishing a gun in public and intimidating others or making them fearful. Getting a reconciled weapon permit if eligible is all right, at least you are not tossing fear around when people can't see it. We have a decent law here in Michigan. In towns you have local ordinances for guns out in public. I think that is appropriate. If anyone could carry a gun out in the city, people would be packing all the time and those guns would create some people to fear leaving their homes. That is not right either.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I’m assuming that “constitutional carry” = the ability to open/conceal carry as long as you for example have a conceal carry in any state.

I know that was the latest push by republicans that some were dissenting on..

So what about states rights??

Does another state not have the right to have different criteria for when they allow someone to carry in public??

Because it kinda reeks of the fugitive slave act which stated that every state was required by law to return any run away slaves to their masters. Reguardless of if that state allowed slavery at all.

And yes it is the same since the constitution originally allowed slavery.

Slavery was 100% the reason “property” was added to the constitution. It was the meet inthe middle term between the free and slave states.

The free states didn’t want slavery in the constitution. The slave states did. So they all agreed to say “property” with it being accepted “property” = slaves.

Plus.. this robs the licensing fees from each state. Since you wouldnt have to apply in both states just one.. which is usually the reason the government rejects things. They will make less money.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Ive lived on oklahoma I disagree with your post.

Ive seen the criminals and their guns. Pointed at me. They dont do/ need background checks.

Ive lived constitutional carry State, Alaska. No one is brandishing, no one is afraid or has fear, its normal.

The stats back this up, having ccc deters crime.

States cant take away the bill of rights.

Culture can take care of itself, no state nanny req'd.

edit on 12-5-2018 by LilNicky354 because: Spellczech

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This whole country needs to go back to the days of the Old West. When men were men and they all proudly packed big iron on their hips. Right? MAGA!

Maybe not. Good song though.
Dodge City 1879:

www.smithsonianmag.com...
edit on 5/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Yeah because we've had mass chaos where it has already been the case. Get out of here with that crap.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Yeah because we've had mass chaos where it has already been the case. Get out of here with that crap.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LilNicky354

Ive lived constitutional carry State, Alaska.

Is that the only difference between where you lived in Alaska and where you lived in Oklahoma? "Constitutional" carry?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Your rebuttal photo of Dodge City failed miserably
Know what prickly ash bitters was ?
An alcoholic drink mix
Know the only place in a lot of the "Old West" where it was not legal to wear a pistol or have a firearm ?
The Saloon
So , back to the drawing board for you

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The Saloon
False.

In the early days, all of Dodge City had laws against carrying firearms, gambling and prostitution.

www.dodgeglobe.com...

Dodge City, Kansas, formed a municipal government in 1878. According to Stephen Aron, a professor of history at UCLA, the first law passed was one prohibiting the carry of guns in town, likely by civic leaders and influential merchants who wanted people to move there, invest their time and resources, and bring their families. Cultivating a reputation of peace and stability was necessary, even in boisterous towns, if it were to become anything more transient than a one-industry boom town.

The practice was started in Southern states, which were among the first to enact laws against concealed carry of guns and knives, in the early 1800s. While a few citizens challenged the bans in court, most lost. Winkler, in his book Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America, points to an 1840 Alabama court that, in upholding its state ban, ruled it was a state’s right to regulate where and how a citizen could carry, and that the state constitution’s allowance of personal firearms “is not to bear arms upon all occasions and in all places.”

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Except that there are plenty of states that allow open carry without a permit, and they haven't devolved into the thunderdome yet. And plenty of states allow for permitless concealed carry, and have large cities with less gun violence than Chicago or New York which have insane gun control gun. Look, as a preference i like carrying concealed over open carry. It doesnt make the carrier a target, and no one knows they have a gun until they WANT someone to know. But that not my place to mandate how people carry. Where im from, you need to have some sort of threat against you in order to get a carry permit, and that is ridiculous because any criminal or crazy person isnt going to pay $400 and go to a police station to fill out paperwork to carry a gun to aid in their crimes. They are just going to put the gun in their pocket and go outside. That puts all of their victims at a disadvantage. And thats not right, telling good law abiding people that they need to be victims.
As for people fearing guns... well.... there is no where in the constitution that says you have the right not to be afraid. Honestly, an attacker has the advantage no matter what weapon they have. A guy walking past you could make a sharp u turn and stick a long piece of metal right in your kidneys or slit your throat, and theres very little you could do about it unless you where prepared to deal with it. That idea that someone open carrying is a bigger threat to you than the person without one is an illusion.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I’m assuming that “constitutional carry” = the ability to open/conceal carry as long as you for example have a conceal carry in any state.

I know that was the latest push by republicans that some were dissenting on..

So what about states rights??

Does another state not have the right to have different criteria for when they allow someone to carry in public??

Because it kinda reeks of the fugitive slave act which stated that every state was required by law to return any run away slaves to their masters. Reguardless of if that state allowed slavery at all.

And yes it is the same since the constitution originally allowed slavery.

Slavery was 100% the reason “property” was added to the constitution. It was the meet inthe middle term between the free and slave states.

The free states didn’t want slavery in the constitution. The slave states did. So they all agreed to say “property” with it being accepted “property” = slaves.

Plus.. this robs the licensing fees from each state. Since you wouldnt have to apply in both states just one.. which is usually the reason the government rejects things. They will make less money.

Negative. Constitutional carry means you dont have to beg for a permit to carry a weapon.
As for states rights..... i dont care. I care about the rights of individuals above EVERYTHING else.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Also people still have to go through background checks to buy guns at a store if that bill would have passed.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

What about not at a store?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Well you cant sell guns as a business if you are not a "store". The term store here will mean licensed dealer. If you are a private party who wants to sell a gun occasionally, then you dont need to go through the background check when selling , but if you have reason to believe that the person you are selling to cant possess a firearm, and you sell to them, then you have committed a crime. I see what youre getting at, but this "Gunshow" loophole is not where the vast majority of guns used in crimes are coming from.
edit on 12-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: Spelling

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I see what youre getting at, but this "Gunshow" loophole is not where the vast majority of guns used in crimes are coming from.
Who said anything about crimes?
No background checks. Right? Why not?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
And a small number of people drive cars legally without registering at the dmv. Whats your point
edit on 12-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Why exclude gun shows from background checks?
What is the rationale?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Gunshows aren't excluded. Theres are plenty of dealers who are required to conduct background checks at gunshows. The guy that wants to infrequently sell his old guns to buy a new gun or the guy that wants to sell a shotgun to his friend are excluded because it would be too much of a burden on them to go through all that trouble and the extra cost.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join