It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite data backs theory of North Korean nuclear site collapse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Kharron

Actually this does lend credence to sanctions being the reason. If the facility was compromised and they required a lot of money to repair/rebuild then they would if they had the funds, which the sanctions would impact.

Which sanctions? The ones that started in 2006? I really doubt having money to rebuild is a reason, but TIME necessary to rebuild could be.

New and more restrictive sanctions have been put in place in the past year or so that have put the extra squeeze on them, and we finally got China on board (sort of).

See here
and here.

So it's not so farfetched. Sanctions can work, they just take time. They brought Iran to the table finally, but then we gave up the farm up front and lost all our leverage on them. Let's hope we don't make the same mistake with NoKo.
edit on 12 5 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Thank you, I understand those sanctions have been continued. It is, however, far fetched, that newly imposed sanctions had more effect than all these years of sanctions combined with a collapse of their nuclear capability.

That is the whole point of the thread, that all the claims that international pressure worked fade compared to the actual proof that they cannot perform those test any more, even if they wanted to.

There would be no nuclear program even if we lifted all sanctions.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

No tests does not equal no nukes.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No tests does not equal no nukes.

Well, very true, but just because they can detonate them doesn't mean they can use them effectively.

They're almost there, it's scary... but once the test sites are re-built I doubt any sanctions will have any effect, judging from the effectiveness of the sanctions pre-collapse.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I don't know if it's your inability to understand or more likely your hatred that keeps you blind.

If it will cost $1 billion to rebuild, and the sanctions make that impossible whereas without the sanctions they would have the funding for it, then the sanctions are the reason they can't rebuild.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

They're almost there,

There is every indication that they are there.

Including a sit down with the POTUS.

edit on 5/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

edit on 12-5-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Ive made some mistakes in my life, but ive never screwed up so bad it broke a mountain. Honestly, thats impressive.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

So the sanctions worked!

prevented them from maintaining their test site so it imploded!

oh what's that? bombs implode things?

ok so why not build another? that's what nuclear capable countries do.

oh you mean those pesky sanctions might have effected that?

I guess the sanctions must have made them cut corners, rush things, and they miscalculated and blew up their test site...due to the sanctions playing a HUGE role.

The test site could no longer be used.

And unfortunately it was The Last Test Site On Earth!!!

They assumed they could detonate the most powerful bombs known to man, underground where the blast is exponentially more powerful, and it was supposed to last forever... it was a totally unforseen accident they never thought would happen...

After billions spent, countless lives lost, a fortune of international political goodwill spent on this venture... oh but they have to give up now because 1 (one) cave collapsed. Ok, party's over, eveeyone go home...

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I keep thinking that we dropped a few bombs on it... Directly after the collapse Rocket man turned into Firecracker kid.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: starlitestarbrite
I keep thinking that we dropped a few bombs on it... Directly after the collapse Rocket man turned into Firecracker kid.

that thought occurred to me too.
'Rods from God' maybe?
no finger pointing which sort of surprises me. would be in character to blame USA on incident even if completely natural.

hopefully Kim is ready to play nice.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Personally I think Kim has finally figured out that playing nice will get you more, than screaming and waving a big stick with threats.

Baloney!

Everyone said that's he's totally insane nutter over the rainbow he is crazay, surely gone fishing. And the moment he could reliably launch on on Hawaii he'd just nuke the place for good measure. For which hed have to be insane as we'd just reall quick counter-strike and completely level the place in moments if we felt like to.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
a reply to: face23785

Thank you, I understand those sanctions have been continued. It is, however, far fetched, that newly imposed sanctions had more effect than all these years of sanctions combined with a collapse of their nuclear capability.

It's really not. Obviously the earlier sanctions weren't tough enough. The latest ones broke their financial back. Can you point to any specific part of the two articles I linked with which you disagree, or do you just disagree because you don't want to believe it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join