It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest unusual discussion about firearms

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

And do you feel anything important was lost in this form of gun control?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wait, so are we supposed to also take opposite positions from what we'd normally have? Or is it only you who gets to have fun here?

Take whatever position you'd like!

For me, it helps create a better overall understanding of the issue.

Ok!

Anti-EnlightenedServant says that we should solve Chicago's shooting problem by giving everyone in Chicago more guns. That goes for the gang members, cartel and organized crime affiliates, ex-cons, inmates, sex offenders, mentally ill, homeless, drug abusers, and domestic violence abusers too. Background checks should be waived and shoulder fired rocket launchers should be also become available to all Chicago citizens. Oh and all students, teachers, and visitors on school campuses should also be allowed to have firearms.

After all, "adding more guns" is supposedly the solution, right?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

How hard is it to become a licensed hunter where you live?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: Edumakated

Will removing firearms lower death rates due to firearms?

Only if you can remove ALL guns which we know is impossible. Yes, it will lower death rates but at what expense?

It is like saying if we sterilize all men can we prevent rape?

This is the crux of the issue.

At what expense?

What is lost if we remove firearms from the equation?

Essentially nothing. Sport shooters and hunters would need to find a new sport. Gun collectors would have to find a new hobby.

But if all guns were to just *vanish* from existence.
Life would go on just as it is now.

We might get invaded by Canada though. There s always that risk.

What city do you live in?

Because out in the country, life would become exponentially more dangerous as months ticked by. It ain't like the mountain lions and bears are going to just call a truce. And it ain't like the law does a good job of keeping the meth cooks out of the forest.

I got in my truck yesterday morning to find all my stuff rifled through while i slept.

I live in a small town, have lived in the country, but not mountain lion country.

The thread started as a premise of "taking the other sides viewpoint as your own" which I was participating in. Rather tongue in cheek.

I see your side of it, as I actually share it.

This thread turned into just another gun thread and we've beat that horse so much around here it looks like a chupacabra now.

This one started out a little different. Looked kinda fun

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

More gunz is always better, cuz gunz are awesome!

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

This thread turned into just another gun thread and we've beat that horse so much around here it looks like a chupacabra now.

This one started out a little different. Looked kinda fun

We'll have peace in the Middle East and have cured cancer and there will still be this issue before us.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Haha there you go. Get you some gerns girl!

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Not one thing. If anything we GAINED a greater sense of safety - and we saw the numbers of death by guns drop, as well as far far fewer mass shootings.

If I so choose, and which I intend to do soon actually, I can go get a license to own a gun so I can hunt on my farm. Anyone who had a legitimate need to keep guns, and gets a license, doesn't suffer ANY of the woes that some Americans seem to think we have.

It's a fantasy in their heads that gun control = gun ban = the end of the world. Unfortunately, for them, the fact that we are still here and going strong doesn't bode well for their fantasy.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

How hard is it to become a licensed hunter where you live?

Well, for a start, I'm not big on hunting just for the sport...the odd rabbit or two for lunch. And to get a hunting license, you have to jump through quite a few hoops. Written permission from a land owner demonstrating the need for hunting among other things. I think your ammunition is also very tightly controlled. Also the firearm has to be unloaded, with the bolt removed until your actually ready to shoot. But the biggest problem is that you have to be on the property before you can use it, so if I just want to go down the creek to do a bit of camping, I can't carry the firearm because I'm not on the designated hunting property.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The psychosexual component to gun love is hard to deny;

the integral part of the dominance and control fantasy.

I'm a gun owner but they stay locked in the closet....

edit on 11-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I cannot play with what i see as illogical. Lord knows i play plenty of devils advocate. But i have to be able to close the logical gaps I see.

I've offered an opinion on why gun discussion goes nowhere: because its not about saving lives. If it were, the whole discussion would be framed differently, and would not include terms like "gun deaths" unless also included in a pool of other modes of dying and viewed in relation to the whole.

The discussion will never be fun if the initial premise is "we need to enact gun control, how do we do this".

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Can you lock and load the gun while your on the property waiting and looking for game? Or are you supposed to install the bolt and load the gun after you see the bunny you're about to blast?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You're asking a non-gun owner if they feel like anything was lost due to gun control?

Boy, really asking the hard hitting questions aren't ya?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

And to get a hunting license, you have to jump through quite a few hoops. Written permission from a land owner demonstrating the need for hunting among other things. I think your ammunition is also very tightly controlled. Also the firearm has to be unloaded, with the bolt removed until your actually ready to shoot. But the biggest problem is that you have to be on the property before you can use it, so if I just want to go down the creek to do a bit of camping, I can't carry the firearm because I'm not on the designated hunting property.

You only really need permission from a landowner in the initial stages of getting your license. You don't have to submit a new form every time you want to hunt on someone else's property. As long as you have obtained their verbal permission you're fine. It's only when you first go for your license that you need proof that you have permission somewhere to hunt.

Ammo is meant to be kept separate in another locked box.

You can also hunt in some national parks and in more remote areas of Australia (which is like 70% of our landmass) without permission.

I have neighbours come onto my property regularly to shoot foxes, rabbits, kangaroos etc all the time. There was a ute here last night shooting in the back paddocks. When we first moved here, the neighbours all came and said hello and asked if it was OK to shoot here - and I said that's fine. That is all that's needed.
edit on 11/5/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You're asking a non-gun owner if they feel like anything was lost due to gun control?

Boy, really asking the hard hitting questions aren't ya?

Looks like you made the mistake of assuming I'm a non-gun owner.

Tsk tsk.

I used to have a license and a gun, sold the gun when I needed some money a while back and let the license lapse. Now I intend to go get it again.

These things have been said multiple times before in multiple threads. I'm sorry it flies against you're deeply held fantasy that we live in some sort of dystopian nightmare down here where all guns are totally banned and non-existent.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

But we can have peace in the Middle East if we give everyone there more guns. And once we master nanotech, we can create nano-sized guns then shoot the crap out of cancer cells. What cancer cell can stand up to a nano-sized hollowpoint bullet?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Bullets deffinetly are a cure for cancer.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Can you lock and load the gun while your on the property waiting and looking for game? Or are you supposed to install the bolt and load the gun after you see the bunny you're about to blast?

No mate. That's ridiculous. More "dystopian nightmare" fantasy.

The bolt should be taken out WHEN THE GUN IS STORED IN ITS SAFE and WHILE BEING TRANSPORTED. This is just simple safety stuff really.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Flatcoat

And to get a hunting license, you have to jump through quite a few hoops. Written permission from a land owner demonstrating the need for hunting among other things. I think your ammunition is also very tightly controlled. Also the firearm has to be unloaded, with the bolt removed until your actually ready to shoot. But the biggest problem is that you have to be on the property before you can use it, so if I just want to go down the creek to do a bit of camping, I can't carry the firearm because I'm not on the designated hunting property.

You only really need permission from a landowner in the initial stages of getting your license. You don't have to submit a new form every time you want to hunt on someone elses property. As long as you have obtained their verbal permission you're fine. It's only when you first go for your license that you need proof that you have permission somewhere to hunt.

True, but as I said, I'm not to keen on hunting for fun. The thing is, when we go camping, we go to places like Arakun, The Gulf...middle of nowhere sort of stuff, and we've had huge crocs come into camp in the middle of the night...we even had a mob of pigs absolutely destroy our camp one night. So I really appreciated having the old SKS on hand. The thing is now all I have is a crowbar.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

We should make cats get their claws licensed.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join