It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest unusual discussion about firearms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Edumakated

Let’s just look at mass shootings for a moment. Mass shootings affect people other than “black thugs”. How many mass shootings does the U.S. have compared to Australia (since Australia banned most guns)?

That is a fair point. However, mass shootings are still a very small number.

First, what objective source do you want to use for the number of "mass shootings"? When I think of a mass shooting, I think of a nut job shooting up a place of innocents. We have to be careful, as some shootings classified as mass shootings are not what most people think. For example, a drive by kill four gang members could be classified as a mass shooting but that isn't really what that is...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Let’s just look at mass shootings for a moment. Mass shootings affect people other than “black thugs”. How many mass shootings does the U.S. have compared to Australia (since Australia banned most guns)?

For me personally, seeing the term "mass shooting" used is an instant turn off. It tells me that the conversation has nothing to do with saving lives, but rather simple and pure disarmament.

If we cannot discuss gun control as a smaller part of "reducing murders" or "reducing needless death", then i can only call any recommendations "political", and not "common sense".

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Aussies don't need 50 caliber light machine guns because the Emus are not planning another uprising...

If Crocodile Dundee taught me anything it's not the emus you have to be concerned with...

Bwahahahaha...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

This is America not Australia..

We are not like OZ or the UK or anywhere else on this planet.

We dont do what they do we do what we do.. And in just a few hundred years we have become the baddest of the bad asses.

They should all strive to be more like us .......

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If a concerted effort was put in place to eliminate firearms, then even in urban areas, the death rate would surely decrease.

There would still be multiple issues regarding inner cites, but deaths by firearms would be reduced.

How so, 99% of the firearms used in those crimes are already illegally owned. Your surely don't think gang members and thugs are going to voluntarily turn in their illegally owned firearms do you? Are you planning to go house to house to confiscate?

Firearms are a tool. Without bullets, then they become nothing more than paperweights.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I like when you start happy hour at 7:30AM PST.

Bloody Mary's aren't going to drink themselves and I wanted a "Me" day away from work.

Thanks for reminding me. I will have mine in just about 5 hours. :-)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If a concerted effort was put in place to eliminate firearms, then even in urban areas, the death rate would surely decrease.

There would still be multiple issues regarding inner cites, but deaths by firearms would be reduced.

How so, 99% of the firearms used in those crimes are already illegally owned. Your surely don't think gang members and thugs are going to voluntarily turn in their illegally owned firearms do you? Are you planning to go house to house to confiscate?

Firearms are a tool. Without bullets, then they become nothing more than paperweights.

A 12 gauge makes a helluva club.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's all about money and, in high crime areas, the money is all about dope. Drugs are a self-inflicted problem perpetrated by the weak-willed on themselves. Remove the profit motive and remove the money to buy illegal guns and the necessity of inner city thugs and drug cartels to kill each other. While watching the predators eat each other is entertaining for some, having children getting caught in cross-fires of thugs who can't shoot is not.
The black family was destroyed by the give-away games of LBJ that were instituted just to get the black vote. Black "culture" isn't. Rap is crap and perpetuates the lowest common denominator lifestyle and mindset. Family values are hard to find when there is no family and no apparent pathway out of the 'hood but gangsta stupid.

How can the profit motive be removed? Free dope and no Narcan? Cold turkey withdrawal every time someone gets a Narcan dose? "Cruel and unusual" will be the cry. "It's a disease and should be treated as such" will follow. Yes, the disease is lack of spine. Ok, then, free dope for anyone who turns in voter ID and any licenses [driver, pilot, medical, etc.] so the normal people aren't put at risk.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Definitely an issue with black on black gun violence. .

However whitey appears to kill amd target completely innocent people (ie school shooting , work place, public ic areas, etc.)

So i do think its more than just a thug problem we got IMO.

link   
I'll play.

You're exactly right! Banning guns is the solution.
For it to succeed it must be done completely however.

All guns must be removed from society.
This would include all guns possessed by criminals, buried underground by the "you'll never take mine" crowd.
Additionally no guns shall be taken off any military base for any reason expect to go to the Middle East to free brown peeps.
All law enforcement will be completely disarmed. This includes all levels of police from federal on down to university cops. Swat, fbi, secret service as well.
No armed body guards, nothing.

Even the guns in private collections and museums must be destroyed.

When all the guns are gone. The gun deaths will stop.

link   

Australia felt that even one mass shooting was too much, as it was a mass shooting that prompted such a drastic ban on guns, I believe. America apparently feels a few (several?) mass shootings a year are not such a big deal. Cultural difference in attitudes towards violent deaths maybe?

First, what objective source do you want to use for the number of "mass shootings"? When I think of a mass shooting, I think of a nut job shooting up a place of innocents. We have to be careful, as some shootings classified as mass shootings are not what most people think. For example, a drive by kill four gang members could be classified as a mass shooting but that isn't really what that is...

I’m thinking of the nut job shooting up a place of innocents. Movie theaters, malls, nightclubs, schools, churches, outdoor music venues, sporting events, etc., etc.

link   

According to the WaPo, there have been 151 mass shootings since 1966 in the US using my definition of excluding gang disputes, robberies, etc. WaPo Study on Mass Shootings

1081 killed from 1966 - 2018. 52 years. So an average of 19.58 people per year in a nut job mass shooting.

While tragic, it doesn't seem like a really significant problem when put in perspective now does it? Especially when you consider we have like 300 million guns or something like that in circulation.

There is no universally accepted definition of a public mass shooting, and this piece defines it narrowly. It looks at the 151 shootings in which four or more people were killed by a lone shooter (two shooters in a few cases). It does not include shootings tied to gang disputes or robberies that went awry, and it does not include shootings that took place exclusively in private homes.

edit on 11-5-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

A true badass with a knife... Who strolls through the outback.

Yeah. Australia is scary. Guns would be the last of my worries.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Australia felt that even one mass shooting was too much, as it was a mass shooting that prompted such a drastic ban on guns, I believe. America apparently feels a few (several?) mass shootings a year are not such a big deal. Cultural difference in attitudes towards violent deaths maybe?

I’m thinking of the nut job shooting up a place of innocents. Movie theaters, malls, nightclubs, schools, churches, outdoor music venues, sporting events, etc., etc.

Automobile deaths are about 37,000 per year. No one has to die if we banned cars... tens of thousands of people die every year because of drunk drivers vs 20 a year from guns. If savings lives is the issue, we need to ban cars. Why should your convenience of driving take priority over saving lives?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I look at the “black thug” problem as a much larger issue than guns. It requires so much more to solve. It deserves its own thread.

Mass shootings, to me, is a 2-pronged problem of mental illness and guns. I think it fits better in the discussion of gun control. Gang issues are just too big to fit, in my opinion.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Imo guns have really two purpose now a days

1. protection from your neighbor
2. Hunting

Taking back a roque govt is a fantasy with todays millatary power amd capabties. Not even sadam with a full blown millatary had a chance. The US govt can take u out without you ever seing it coming.

The question worth discussing IMO is how much or what limits can or should be placed with self protection?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Definitely an issue with black on black gun violence. .

However whitey appears to kill amd target completely innocent people (ie school shooting , work place, public ic areas, etc.)

So i do think its more than just a thug problem we got IMO.

The point is mass shootings aren't even a rounding error in the gun violence death total. It is more than just whitey doing mass shootings. Plenty of blacks do it too... although the black community loves to try to paint serial killers and mass shooting nut jobs as white, the reality is that blacks are highly represented as well.
edit on 11-5-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The conversation isn't about saving lives. Its about disarming. You notice she is only discussing gun related violence. Not violence in general.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

99% of automobile deaths are accidents, not intentional killings. And, we have greatly reduced automobile deaths with safety mechanisms in place (requiring seat belts by law, adding safety features like airbags, etc.) The point is, we haven’t just ignored these deaths by saying “oh well, sh*t happens, no need to do anymore about it.” We are constantly making changes to address the problems. Just talking about making changes to gun laws gets people outraged.
edit on 11-5-2018 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The conversation isn't about saving lives. Its about disarming. You notice she is only discussing gun related violence. Not violence in general.

Yes, but her position makes no sense logically. Banning something under the guise of preventing a handful of tragic events is a slippery slope. Especially when you consider that those deaths are but a very small percentage of the problem.

Vast majority of gun violence/deaths are committed with ILLEGALLY owned firearms. As such banning firearms does nothing as the crimes are not being committed with legally owned firearms.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join