It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest unusual discussion about firearms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is not a troll attempt, nor is it a troll thread.

But in this thread I'm going to take the position of the anti-gun crowd. In this thread I want to ban guns. I will honestly try to argue for a banning of firearms. Sometimes, taking the other side of an argument brings a better understanding of the issue.

Yeah, I placed it in the Pit because things are usually contentious here and it's a bit more relaxed in the Pit.

en.wikipedia.org...

I was looking at guns, gun deaths by country in the above link.

Primarily Australia, because of a recent thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Australia has 13 firearms per 100,000 people.

America has 101 firearms per 100,000 people.

Australia's death rate (total) per 100,000 is 1

America's death rate (total) per 100,000 is 12

So it does, on the surface, look like there is a direct correlation between the amount of firearms and firearm-related deaths.

If you have ten times as many firearms, you will have ten times as many deaths.

Is owning a firearm worth it?

People can say it's to keep our government in check, but really, our government is really bad and guns aren't stopping it.

Personal protection? Sure, there are plenty of stories about how guns saved lives. But they are matched by stories about guns taking lives, so I'd call that a wash.

Hunting? About the only thing I could see having a firearm for is for hunting.

I know it is the 2nd Amendment. But just because it is in the Bill of Rights, doesn't make it a commandment from god or the ultimate truth. The Constitution was written by men for men and men are flawed.

So let's start. Let's start by getting rid of firearms ala Australia.

What say you, ATS?

Wanna play?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Most actual murders from guns happen in just a few select zip codes. Maybe we should make those particular zip codes illegal.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A red tablecloth can also be used in a bullfight.

But good luck.

+1 more 
posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I like when you start happy hour at 7:30AM PST.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

But changing the pool of where we get the numbers from is simply data manipulation.

I'm sure someone could massage the numbers enough to make it look like Australia has a higher rate of firearm-related deaths than America.

But if we just look at the raw data, then there's no real escape from the results.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

But in this thread I'm going to take the position of the anti-gun crowd. In this thread I want to ban guns. I will honestly try to argue for a banning of firearms. Sometimes, taking the other side of an argument brings a better understanding of the issue.

Yeah, I placed it in the Pit because things are usually contentious here and it's a bit more relaxed in the Pit.

en.wikipedia.org...

I was looking at guns, gun deaths by country in the above link.

Primarily Australia, because of a recent thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Australia has 13 firearms per 100,000 people.

America has 101 firearms per 100,000 people.

Australia's death rate (total) per 100,000 is 1

America's death rate (total) per 100,000 is 12

So it does, on the surface, look like there is a direct correlation between the amount of firearms and firearm-related deaths.

If you have ten times as many firearms, you will have ten times as many deaths.

Is owning a firearm worth it?

People can say it's to keep our government in check, but really, our government is really bad and guns aren't stopping it.

Personal protection? Sure, there are plenty of stories about how guns saved lives. But they are matched by stories about guns taking lives, so I'd call that a wash.

Hunting? About the only thing I could see having a firearm for is for hunting.

I know it is the 2nd Amendment. But just because it is in the Bill of Rights, doesn't make it a commandment from god or the ultimate truth. The Constitution was written by men for men and men are flawed.

What say you, ATS?

Wanna play?

What is the inner city black population in Australia?

You can't just look at per capita gun deaths as you also have to look at the demographics of those gun deaths. Once you do that... you start getting to the root of the issue which won't be a fun, nor easy conversation as it brings up topics that people don't like to talk about.

America doesn't really have a gun problem. We have a black thug problem.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I like when you start happy hour at 7:30AM PST.

Bloody Mary's aren't going to drink themselves and I wanted a "Me" day away from work.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

But good luck.

It's worth a shot.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Bloody Mary's aren't going to drink themselves and I wanted a "Me" day away from work.

'Us' day away from work.

I'm so glad I have a troll account so I don't get a bad reputation with this one.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If a concerted effort was put in place to eliminate firearms, then even in urban areas, the death rate would surely decrease.

There would still be multiple issues regarding inner cites, but deaths by firearms would be reduced.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

'Us' day away from work.

I'm so glad I have a troll account so I don't get a bad reputation with this one.

So the "good" reputation personality is a Mason?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

But good luck.

It's worth a shot.

The USA has one of the lowest boomerang death rates in the world!

link   
I beg of you...

Please don't take my fantasies away, it's all I have....

link   

Let’s just look at mass shootings for a moment. Mass shootings affect people other than “black thugs”. How many mass shootings does the U.S. have compared to Australia (since Australia banned most guns)?

link   

You're obviously a dirty Commie Obama Supporter, and I will not entertain your evil ways!

#Trump2024 #Bible #2ndAmendment #TeaParty

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

True.
Buy them back no questions would probably yield a large unexpected amount.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Why do I find that awkwardly arousing? I'm not even Catholic.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

If a concerted effort was put in place to eliminate firearms, then even in urban areas, the death rate would surely decrease.

There would still be multiple issues regarding inner cites, but deaths by firearms would be reduced.

How so, 99% of the firearms used in those crimes are already illegally owned. Your surely don't think gang members and thugs are going to voluntarily turn in their illegally owned firearms do you? Are you planning to go house to house to confiscate?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I found the homicide rate in two different places and they had the rate at 3.8 and 4.2.
Where did you get the rate of 12?

www.npr.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It was going so well and was a reasonable thread till this :

Extremism comes in many forms

No but seriously, not many nations outright ban firearms and I've never understood that conclusion, a firearm is a tool, much like a hammer, axe, drill or knife. If one chooses one can make an offensive weapon out of anything.

Australia is probably one of the worst examples you can use since it's got common sense gun laws. Such as the mentally Ill cannot own a gun and neither can criminals, aspiring gun owners are vetted.

Aussies don't need 50 caliber light machine guns because the Emus are not planning another uprising...
edit on 11-5-2018 by RAY1990 because: Damn emu was pecking at me... No we don't have an alliance

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join