It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass GUN killings in Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Even pump action shotguns are banned, and yet...

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5af51c6ae4b032b10bf9150d

When will these gun control advocates realize that these events are not due to guns, but a loss of humanity, mutual respect, a loss of morals, and just plain insanity.

We need to address those issues, not gun control.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Speaking of advocates who don't realize...well reality.

Dear Alyssa Milano,

There was a mass shooting in Australia. Could you please go there and fight for gun control in Australia . The kids of Australia really need you. #NoRA

Thanks
America and Australia

Dear President Trump,

If Alyssa Milano goes to Australia, can you pull some strings and pull her passport?

Thanks

America but definitely not Austrlia

PS

If you cannot pull the passport, how about a trade? Alyssa Milano for Delta Goodrem?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

From your link...

“We have no information to raise concern about wider public safety issues at this point in time.”
Sounds like a crazy person killed their family and themself to me, the cops aren't looking for anyone else, and for all we know the killer held the guns legally.
I don't think this story in any way can be an argument against Australian gun laws. Nice try though, I'm against regulation myself, especially when illegal guns are so easy to buy, just expensive.
edit on 11-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typos

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

It was a murder/suicide of one family.

These things happen. Terrible yes, but hardly a reason to go calling for lesser gun control.

I know you're drooling at the mouth for any old excuse to bring up gun control and your hatred of it, perhaps next time use a little more common sense when deciding which incidents to use?

A mother and her four children are among the victims of a mass shooting that left seven people dead on a property in rural Western Australia on Friday – an apparent murder-suicide.

Officers from the Homicide Squad and Forensic Unit arrived from Perth on Friday. Police said they would not comment on possible motives, but were not seeking to apprehend a suspect.

"We have no information to raise concern about wider public safety issues," Mr Dawson said.

edit on 11/5/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Double.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
Even pump action shotguns are banned, and yet...

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5af51c6ae4b032b10bf9150d

When will these gun control advocates realize that these events are not due to guns, but a loss of humanity, mutual respect, a loss of morals, and just plain insanity.

We need to address those issues, not gun control.

They never will understand. You have to have humanity, mutual respect, and morals first.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

They never will understand. You have to have humanity, mutual respect, and morals first.

Clearly someone didn't read the other replies before jumping on the bandwagon.

FYI - It was a murder/suicide of one family.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Uhhhh

Did I just read the responses correctly?

- The murderer obtained the guns legally so no big deal.
- The murderer only killed his family and himself. As long as he's dead, no more threat. Non issue.
- It happens.

Yet when these things happen in the US, everyone comes out of the woodwork to complain about how our gun laws are so horrible, in a country most of you don't even live in. The irony of it all is, it's the same issue no matter how you paint it.

- Gun obtained legally.
- Shooter ends up dead in the end.
- Gunman kills family - Murder suicide.

Sure... we have our share of 1 person wanting to take out many but that has nothing to do with their choice of weapon. There are plenty of alternatives, should someone really want to take out a mass of people.

edit on 11-5-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If only his wife and kids also had guns... and then their guns had guns to protect their guns...

Seriously though. How many mass shootings since Port Arthur?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck
I'm actually with you fella, I think restricting guns in the US is ridiculous when so many are available illegally anyway. Same in Britain, expensive but easy to buy an unlicensed firearm, so the restrictions we have here seem equally ridiculous to me.
The person in the OP was obviously nuts and would probably used a knife or whatever if he didn't have access to guns.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Uhhhh

Did I just read the responses correctly?

Uhhh....

Did you somehow miss the thousands of times Aussies have said that our gun control doesn't COMPLETELY stop crime, just drastically reduces it?

It's not like we haven't said it literally hundreds of thousands of times. One HAS to wonder whether you are either completely illiterate or are deliberately ignoring it because it doesn't fit with your agenda?

What our gun "CONTROL" (note - not "BAN" which is another favourite misconception you guys like to cling to) has done is prevented another mass shooting the likes of the Port Arthur Massacre against innocent and unrelated civilians - unlike in America where they still occur every few months.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

And the vast majority of shootings in America, including mass shootings, are domestic in nature and done with handguns. Yet for some reason, people want to act like 50 people getting killed by a guy with a rifle in a nightclub is the norm and we need to ban rifles.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

And the vast majority of shootings in America, including mass shootings, are domestic in nature and done with handguns. Yet for some reason, people want to act like 50 people getting killed by a guy with a rifle in a nightclub is the norm and we need to ban rifles.

Most "domestic" households in Australia don't have a gun and wouldn't know where to get one. This happened on a rural farm in the middle of nowhere - farmers can have guns for livestock/pest control and other farm-related activities.

The point is the chances of this happening in most places in Australia are EXTREMELY SLIM - proven by the fact that we don't suffer mass shootings (however you want to define them) in nearly as large a frequency as over in the US.

Yes, shootings still occur. But we're not dealing with a mass murder every few months - we get one every few years if that.

Once again I have to point out that we Aussies have said all this a hundred thousand times and yet you lot still keep coming back with nonsense and easily disprovable theories.

Keep trying though. What is that saying? "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result......."

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think this is a reflection on Australia's legal system and how it is skewed to destroy men.
That doesn't mean I advocate what happened but till the system treats parents fairly, this is going to become a constant reality

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
As a plus, at least no one has blamed the completely inanimate gun, a tool that was entirely harmless until a deranged human picked it up.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

To be honest I'm still a little confused as to what happened. They said 7 dead - the two grandparents/owners, the daughter and her 4 kids. The papers, however, keep pointing out that the daughters ex-husband had been stalking her and implied he had shot them all - yet the police say they aren't looking for anyone else.

So who shot who? I'm guessing we'll know more in the morning when the police have another press conference, but for now suffice it to say there are unanswered questions in my mind.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The point is the chances of this happening in most places in Australia are EXTREMELY SLIM - proven by the fact that we don't suffer mass shootings (however you want to define them) in nearly as large a frequency as over in the US.

And it's a pretty slim chance that most Americans will ever be involved in a mass shooting.

Yes, shootings still occur. But we're not dealing with a mass murder every few months - we get one every few years if that.

A point I haven't made so I don't know why you're trying to debate me over it?

Once again I have to point out that we Aussies have said all this a hundred thousand times and yet you lot still keep coming back with nonsense and easily disprovable theories.

"We lot" don't, and I didn't advance any theories in my comment other than what I said.

Keep trying though. What is that saying? "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result......."

Some would argue that posting a diatribe that is almost entirely irrelevant to the comment you're responding to is the definition of insanity, but that's neither here nor there. If you'd like to address an "argument" at Americans in general, that's great but if you're going to do so in a direct reply to me, at least make an attempt at replying to what I actually said rather than talking points you've seen others make.

I know it's easier to debate people when you make things up and act as if the other person said what you're making up, but it's pretty silly.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

And it's a pretty slim chance that most Americans will ever be involved in a mass shooting.

What about a shooting without the "mass" part? Australia doesn't suffer them in nearly as large a number (even per capita with population differences taken into account) either - yet American news reports shootings there every day.

A point I haven't made so I don't know why you're trying to debate me over it?

"We lot" don't, and I didn't advance any theories in my comment other than what I said.

"You lot" implies more than one. I never said you said it specifically, just that it is spoken a lot by people who are on your side of the debate. This is something you cannot deny.

The rest of your post is answered above as it was an extension of your previous misconception.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

From your link...

“We have no information to raise concern about wider public safety issues at this point in time.”
Sounds like a crazy person killed their family and themself to me, the cops aren't looking for anyone else, and for all we know the killer held the guns legally.
I don't think this story in any way can be an argument against Australian gun laws. Nice try though, I'm against regulation myself, especially when illegal guns are so easy to buy, just expensive.

So, It is ok that it was a murder/suicide of a family? That justifies your gun laws?

Most shootings in the US are personal also....notable exemtions are the Vegas shootings and terrorism (Pulse Night Club, San Bernadino).

When you have something like Parkland, the shooter was bullied and took it personal, was mentally unfit...had cops called over 30 times and they did nothing...and decided to get personal revenge.

There are many ways to kill someone if you want to...knives and cars come to mind in London...and those are random.

My point is, don't take my rights away because you do not want to deal with the fact that modern liberal (not left or right) culture has taught people that they are most important, nobody matters as much as them, and we glorify revenge in music, movies and other pop culture outlets. Even if you do not believe in a Higher Power, we still need to teach right and wrong, morals and values...not me first everyone else second.
edit on 11-5-2018 by theatreboy because: i cant spell

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

What about a shooting without the "mass" part? Australia doesn't suffer them in nearly as large a number (even per capita with population differences taken into account) either - yet American news reports shootings there every day.

So now you want to pivot yet again into something else? Okay. What about them? What's the single common denominator? A person pulled the trigger. The chances of the average American being shot are still pretty slim.

"You lot" implies more than one. I never said you said it specifically, just that it is spoken a lot by people who are on your side of the debate. This is something you cannot deny.

Yea, I know. Why you chose to direct it at somebody not doing that is what the hang-up is for me.

The rest of your post is answered above as it was an extension of your previous misconception.

Not really, since the only misconception here is you thinking I'm saying something I'm not, but whatever helps you sleep.

edit on 11-5-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join