It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cancels NASA’s greenhouse gas monitoring system after scrapping clean air regulation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm just a messenger....don't shoot the messenger! Well, it appears that in his efforts to continue his "climate change is a joke" narrative, Trump has now cancelled NASA's Greenhouse Gas Monitoring system. That system WAS known as the Carbon Monitoring System and it used aircraft as well as satellites to keep tabs on the amount of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.

Donald Trump has cancelled NASA’s greenhouse gas monitoring system, prompting concern it will hinder efforts to bring down global emissions.
The space agency’s Carbon Monitoring System (CMS) has until now used satellite and aircraft instruments to monitor carbon dioxide and methane levels remotely - spending $10m (£7.35m) each year.
But the White House has now scrapped the funding as part of its wider attack on climate science.
The moves jeopardizes plans to verify levels of emissions in the US.

"If you cannot measure emissions reductions, you cannot be confident that countries are adhering to the [Paris climate] agreement," Kelly Sims Gallagher, director of Tufts University's Centre for International Environment and Resource Policy, told Science Magazine.

I'm holding judgement on Trump until I see what he does with his power. I truly hope he doesn't do something really stupid. However, I gotta say that moves such as this make(s) it even harder for me to support him. It seems that Trump is crapping all over our futures. Sure, some of his actions is putting a little money in our pockets in the immediate but those same actions will bring us ruin down the road. Just my opinion. Maybe the Climate Change Budget is a cash cow for some scientists but at least it is something; without it, we have nothing being done about the climate...

But go ahead.......tell me how I'm a liberal-lefty, CNN lover for not agreeing with everything Trump does or says. What do I know anyway? I'm just a messenger..So, what says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Good.

Resources could be better used in other areas of research.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is a pretty Trump heavy night here.

But, I'm guessing this goes...

Trump supporters scoff, while non-Trump supporters gasp.

edit on 10-5-2018 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
ATTEN:

This is not the Mud Pit so any Political Trolling or tit for tat might just get you Posting Banned. Keep that in mind.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Ice cap isn't melting fast enough guys, release more CO2. High Methane means more explosions right? So does that means sewers lines will be set on fire?
I can't wait til he scrap Sulfur dioxide monitoring.
edit on 10-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthernLites

Good.

Why wouldnt the National Aeronautics and Space Administration be observing the atmosphere?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Trump might as well gut the EPA. We don't need our drinking water to be that clean....

oh wait....

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Personally for me the expenditure for these types of things often outway the benefit. The thing is if we really want to talk about effeciency we first have to look at the fact that our economy and the global economy is heavily benefited from waste and excess. Everyone needs to provide a value to society to eminate this, however effeciency is not economically feasible considering there can only be soo much production in the world. This leaves a lot of people out of the loop essentially making them valueless.

How can you effecient with people of no value using resources. The answer is we can't. We are now at a point where to continue with the way we're going we'll have to constantly spread our seed throughout the cosmos consuming every resource in sight, or the more likely eventuality of large swaths of ideological genocide.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Trump might as well gut the EPA. We don't need our drinking water to be that clean....

oh wait....

www.reuters.com...

Well, I'm glad he didn't go touch nuclear energy yet. Oh $%^&! Are we winning yet?!

www.powermag.com...

washington post
edit on 10-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The European Environment Agency admits that Europe is falling short of the goals. Many countries are. We are polluting less than all of Europe. So Ms. Gallagher will have to do better than that.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

Good.

Why wouldnt the National Aeronautics and Space Administration be observing the atmosphere?

I was going to say the same thing. I don't understand how studying CO, Co2, and other byproducts that we release into the atmosphere isn't viable and necessary research.

I get adaptation, or simply not giving a # about the environment, but at least admit it.

US tax dollars are being used for all sorts of stupid crap, including embezzlement...not sure why studying the atmosphere and documenting changes and effects is a waste of time. In fact it seems completely backwards to think otherwise, but then again, maybe being at all concerned or interested in the composition of the atmosphere for the sustaining of life as we know it on Earth is foolish, because reasons.

$$$ and the good ol adage "ill be dead when it all goes to #, so what do I care?" come to mind.

smh

edit on 5102018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
The Ice cap isn't melting fast enough guys, release more CO2. High Methane means more explosions right? So does that means sewers lines will be set on fire?
I can't wait til he scrap Sulfur dioxide monitoring.

That would be EPA , not NASA

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

Good.

Why should they ?
There are lots of organizations around the world that do
Organizations that have CO2 monitoring as THEIR responsibility.
Since when does that fit under the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ?
Their responsibilities are in the name

edit on 5/10/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Good question.

Id imagine NASA would be a useful asset at least in terms of fact checking data and corroboration in general with those organizations tasked with this specific field of study.

edit on 5102018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

oh wait....

www.reuters.com...

The wonderful org that we created in my time to protect the environment has been turned into a political weapon
It is about time that someone regulated the regulators and demilitarized the EPA

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
How about the CIA gets cut before we get around to any of this other stuff.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
How about the CIA gets cut before we get around to any of this other stuff.

*everyone in thread including lurkers all look at eachother*

🤔

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro
a reply to: Gothmog

Good question.

Id imagine NASA would be a useful asset at least in terms of fact checking data and corroboration in general with those organizations tasked with this specific field of study.

Why ?
So the government can launder more money through NASA to their back pockets?
Let NASA be NASA
We got some space explorin to do....

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Good.

Recourses get wasted every day. Why would any reasonable person not want to keep watch of this? But don’t worry the ESA and others will undoubtedly keep watch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join