It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Breaks Major Campaign Promise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Before the election:

“We are not allowed to negotiate drug prices. Can you believe it? We pay about $300 billion more than we are supposed to, than if we negotiated the price. So there’s $300 billion on day one we solve.”

–Donald Trump, remarks at Plymouth State University, Holderness, N.H., Feb. 7, 2016

“So I said to myself wow, let me do some numbers. If we competitively bid drugs in the United States, we can save as much as $300 billion a year.”

–Trump, remarks in Manchester, N.H., Feb. 8

“We’re the largest drug buyer in the world. We don’t negotiate. We don’t negotiate. You pay practically the same for the country as if you go into a drug store and buy the drugs. If we negotiated the price of drugs, Joe, we’d save $300 billion a year.”

–Trump, interview on MSNBC, Feb. 17

source

And a lot more

Today:

President Trump's drug pricing plan will not include a call for Medicare to negotiate drug prices, a leading Democratic idea that Trump previously supported, a senior administration official said Thursday.

“We're not calling for Medicare negotiation in the way that Democrats have called for,” the official said on a call with reporters previewing Trump’s speech on drug prices scheduled Friday.

thehill.com...
edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Trump doesn't break promises.

He only renegotiates.
#Winning #Maga

Right??

+6 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

He only renegotiates.
#Winning #Maga

Right??

Its a president, same as always.

Aside from his cult following and his horrendous tweets, I'm indifferent on him to be honest. I've seen horrible and great.

But it is rather annoying not being able to discuss it without either hate or unwavering support.

Its gray and should be discussed as such.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I went and read the plan listed in that article. It does not sound right, it means some drugs included under part B won't be in part B anymore, so D will get way more expensive. I doubt if part B is going to get cheaper for anyone either.

This is definitely far from what they had promised in the campaign promise. But remember, most campaign promises are never followed through with anyway. I was impressed at how many Obama got done, but then again most of his solutions turned out to be expensive and did not work well. I give Obama a D as a president, putting him lower than Bush or clinton were. Obama started out promising but sure got bad in the end. His last few months were terrible, I hope we do not have to go through that with Trump before he leaves office.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yup, bad move. He should be called out on this.

But, as a healthy person who doesn't need or take prescription medication, I don't care.

+11 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

you all sure lost your #hit when a few couldn't keep their doctors, tho.

but, paying more for prescriptions, no biggie. lol

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Jefferton

He only renegotiates.
#Winning #Maga

Right??

Its a president, same as always.

Aside from his cult following and his horrendous tweets, I'm indifferent on him to be honest. I've seen horrible and great.

But it is rather annoying not being able to discuss it without either hate or unwavering support.

Its gray and should be discussed as such.

It was a business joke.

I have no stock in what Trump does, so no hate here.

See what I did there? Probably not.

+39 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You seem to be skipping some things, such as:

However, the official said there will be other proposals to increase competition in Medicare, likely using private sector players rather than Medicare directly negotiating prices.

Trump is not going to do it the way the Democrats want. He is going to do it the right way.

Trump will propose a range of other ideas to bring down drug prices on Friday

Officials said the “vast majority” of the ideas laid out in a “blueprint” on Friday will be actions the administration can take on its own, without congressional approval. Secretary of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said earlier Thursday that the plan will go after “all aspects” of the drug pricing system, including going after drug companies directly.

Officials said Thursday that the proposals will include ways to crack down on “gaming” where drug companies prevent cheaper generic drugs from getting to market. Another proposal will go after foreign countries that officials said are free-riding on U.S. innovation in drug development.

edit on 5/10/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

We're not calling for Medicare negotiation in the way that Democrats have called for,”

Reads to me like,,, we have our own way of negotiating their way is stupid..

Sounds like every other partisan bs you hear..

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
NOBODY CARES ANYMORE

seriously is this trash all you guys have left to justify your hatred?

it looks foolish
edit on 10-5-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Trump is not going to do it the way the Democrats want. He is going to do it the right way.

He promised that Medicare would negotiate drug prices. He just said he's not going to negotiate drug prices.

Democrats have been pressuring Trump ahead of his speech to renew his call for Medicare to negotiate drug prices, something that Trump touted on the campaign trail in 2016, in a break with Republican party orthodoxy.

thehill.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Although I do remember Trump saying something about making the insurance companies show their profits because for some reason they dont have to.

Now that I think about it, its a little odd that that never gets mentioned as a Trump promise that he did not fulfill.

No one ever really discusses it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Haha, I see what you did there. Joke on profit from position.

I never implied you weren't joking. Just making a point.

I know your lean, but for the most part you don't speak with emotion. I like your posts to be honest.

I consider myself rather independent but will still catch myself speaking of lean on matters of individual issue.

That being said, that was a funny joke.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

#Impeach45

link   
A politician breaking a campaign promise....

Well I never heard of such an outrageous thing in my life!

Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flabbergasted!!!!!!

Dumbfounded!!!!

Not.
edit on R352018-05-10T21:35:50-05:00k355Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

link   

So much for his promise of better, cheaper, beautiful insurance for everyone!

link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
NOBODY CARES ANYMORE

seriously is this trash all you guys have left to justify your hatred?

it looks foolish

So does bitching about what some politicians do and giving a pass to others.

Its why the two party system not only succeeds, but thrives.

Both parties get a pass, and both parties wrongdoings justifies the others.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Bush lied us into a war that created isis. Cost the US billions and gallons of blood and no telling how many Iraqi civilians...

THEN he gave his private company the rebuild contract..

There is nothing Bush Sn, Clinton, trump or obama has done to touch that..

The only thing more destructive to America recently that I can think of is Nixon’s war on drugs.

+10 more 
link   

How does “We're not calling for Medicare negotiation in the way that Democrats have called for” equal “We're not calling for Medicare negotiation”?

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. I'm not for impeachment.

Just really tired of people who insist that he's the best president ever, who keeps all his promises. (not that you do that, of course)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join