It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carried My Late Wifes cats To the Vet Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I had to take my late wife's 2 cats to the vet today for their annual checkup and shots. I got there early and had around 1 hours wait before the vet got back from lunch but didn't mind the wait as the male receptionist was quite cordial and provided me with adequate trivial conversation while I waited.
The visit was brief and the 2 cats were examined and given their annual shots in around 30 minuets. After loading the 2 cats back into their carriers I carried them back out into the reception area where there was one older gentleman around 70 or so and also a young girl clutching her young puppy close to her bosom while the receptionist figured up my bill.

The total for 2 shots each and 1 wormer pill for 1 cat came to a total of $180. I knew it would probably be $150 or better because they can't keep a clinic open with a staff of 6 for peanuts, but $180 was a little more than what I expected.

I turned to the older gentleman and "said having pets is almost as expensive as keeping a wife" and he looked at me with a wide grin.

I glanced over at the young girl that was probably no more than 17 or 18 years old and noticed she didn't look at me but had a noticeable look of consternation after I said that in jest so after a second or 2 I looked at her and said,
"that was a joke sweetheart" and she cracked a grin from ear to ear.

I signed the credit card receipt, picked up the cat carriers and thanked to older gentleman for opening the door for me as I walked out.

I do enjoy spontaneous humor.

Any good tails to tell out here?
edit on 10-5-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I though the punch line was going to be that the 17/18 year old was the geezers wife....

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think pet insurance is a good investment. Not sure if it covers annual shots and checkups, but I’m sure there are packages that include them.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Most pet insurances only pick up if you start them early in your pet's life.

Our senior kitty, the neurotic tabby whom I can no longer call fat, is too old for most coverages now. However, if we do decide to get a ragdoll kitten, I've told my husband we will waste no time in getting pet insurance for it.

Some will help cover routine costs and others are more for catastrophic care. It just depends on the package you get.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Most pet insurances only pick up if you start them early in your pet's life.

Wasn’t aware of this. Something to consider when getting a new young pet.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Our oldest cat is twenty one years old. She told us she doesn't like vets and if we try to take her she will scratch the hell out of us and die. She is so spoiled, every time she goes for her jog in her sleep, almost every hour, she gets up hungry and wants to eat. She has one of those tumors on her back right next to the spine, I think they call them ganglious. She has another fat tumor near her leg. The one on her back is sensitive, she does not like us touching it, but it doesn't seem to hurt her unless it is bumped. I have been giving her supplements because of some problems I had noticed, and she is doing fine now. Some day I will come downstairs and find her laying on the couch dead, I know that will happen within a year. I need to go make some cat coffins this month, about three fancy oak ones and a couple of pine ones.

It is getting sadder for us when the pets die as we get older. We have learned how to communicate with cats better, it took effort how to figure out their ways. I never had time and I did not believe they were such intelligent beings before, I was wrong. The same goes for dogs, some are very smart, others are dumb as a rock.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thank you for loving your senior kitties; they feel it and need it-like all us oldsters I guess. And they do return it-in spades.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Years ago we found a kitten. Somehow, we decided to let our 3 year old (at the time) son name the cat.

Later we took that kitten to the vet to get fixed.

My wife dropped off the cat, I was to pick up the cat after work.

After work I went to the vet, gave my name and said I was there to pick up our cat.

As I sat down in the crowded waiting room, a voice came on the overhead speaker. . .

"Will the daddy of Cookie Meow-Meow please come to the desk to pick up your kitten".

Every ####ing head turned and looked at me as I went up to the desk.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Your oldest cat is freaking 21 years old!!! Wow that cat must be hard as nails dude. My oldest just passed last month at 19. And she was the boss. Even my full bread calico was scared of her.

(post by DeeCop removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Your oldest cat is freaking 21 years old!!! Wow that cat must be hard as nails dude. My oldest just passed last month at 19. And she was the boss. Even my full bread calico was scared of her.

Her partner Kashi, died about two and a half years ago, he was around nineteen and a half. He was healthy as hell but jumped off the upright freezer and hurt his back then got a blood clot in his spine. He only suffered about a day. He could still shoot up a tree at full speed and jump eight feet onto the shed roof at that age. It was his agility and desire to keep jumping onto things that killed him. Those two lived outside in a shed and our heated garage for most of their lives, but moved into the shed when the garage furnace took a dump and they went outside half the day winter and summer till that time. Those cats had guts, every dog that came around never came back again if they saw it. Together they chased away foxes and coyotes. The three bears that came around one evening were the only thing that scared them. A mother and two older cubs.

The male cat could fly, it was one of those with the weird skin under it's armpits and it would jump out and glide to the ground. It could soar like a flying squirrel, it only weighed about six pounds and was a big cat. It loved to eat flying squirrels, it was infatuated with them. Since he died, we have gotten overrun with mice and squirrels. He used to go get chippies and squirrels and lay them on the path if he heard we were having a fire in the fire pit and cook out. One time he hauled five dead animals on the path to the fire pit when he heard the wife and I talking about a bbq. Other times he would only haul maybe one or two there. He was a little disappointed that I would never cook them for him. Those outdoor cats loved watching the fire and getting food fresh off the grill.

I kind of miss that guy, he was a good friend.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ok, being targeted by some gambling app or something on this thread. What the heck is that about, has anyone else had this happen? I don't even gamble, all I do is play spider solitaire and occasionally buy a lottery ticket from the store.

new topics

top topics

join