It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science tells us that an objective physical universe doesn't exist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Why would the universe spend so much energy to create something that could create a simulated universe when it could just use that energy to create a universe where something that creates simulations can evolve into being?

It's a circular argument.

edit on 5/10/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

Nice thread! It's a subject that I contemplate often.

"So what's real? The quantum information that tells the particles how to be configured or some "physical" object like a cat, dog or tree? Quantum mechanics tells us that information wins the day. What we call "reality" is the end result of some information being processed. "

I like to take it a step further, first the quantum information tells quantum energy to act like particles. When what we used to call fundamental particles are broken down further and further, we are left with just energy. The physical universe is really just quantum energy arranged into patterns, so nothing is really 'physical'.

Very good points!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I think it's becoming clear that the universe is a hologram of information on a 2D surface area. This is all you need. So the 2D surface area would be physical but it's a computational device that simulates what we perceive as "reality."

You should do Lincoln ads.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I'm sorry but the simulated universe has been debunked many times.

A team of theoretical physicists from Oxford University in the UK has shown that life and reality cannot be merely simulations generated by a massive extraterrestrial computer. The finding – an unexpectedly definite one – arose from the discovery of a novel link between gravitational anomalies and computational complexity.

cosmosmagazine.com...

Now i'm not an oxford scholar like the people who wrote the paper but I know the math. A simple human brain has several billion axions, now multiply that by seven billion people-and that's just one species let alone the other millions of species on this planet-let alone other species on other planets. If there was a computer that large it would have either blown up via thermodynamics or be detected through infra red or via some other form of wavelength.

But we can all dream we have the answer, but we may never know.

It's also an infinite regress and purely self-defeating. If the universe is a computer simulation, then surely the computer running it is a simulation, or else the simulation would be a simulation. Or perhaps the computer is outside of the simulation. Then some guy in that universe states that his universe is a computer simulation, and we're right back to where we started, and so on to infinity.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Nice, really nice. Just one small problem, it is complete hogwash. If it were a simulation/non-physical, you could prove that pretty easy: run through a wall.

Please do it and report back.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

A team of theoretical physicists from Oxford University in the UK has shown that life and reality cannot be merely simulations generated by a massive extraterrestrial computer. The finding – an unexpectedly definite one – arose from the discovery of a novel link between gravitational anomalies and computational complexity.

cosmosmagazine.com...

Now i'm not an oxford scholar like the people who wrote the paper but I know the math. A simple human brain has several billion axions, now multiply that by seven billion people-and that's just one species let alone the other millions of species on this planet-let alone other species on other planets. If there was a computer that large it would have either blown up via thermodynamics or be detected through infra red or via some other form of wavelength.

It's also an infinite regress and purely self-defeating. If the universe is a computer simulation, then surely the computer running it is a simulation, or else the simulation would be a simulation. Or perhaps the computer is outside of the simulation. Then some guy in that universe states that his universe is a computer simulation, and we're right back to where we started, and so on to infinity.

I think we like to project today's technology onto things we don't understand. Something arranges the quantum energy into particles that are the basis for what we call the physical world, and then those particles into atoms, molecules, cells, etc.. We try to imagine a "computer" doing this but it could be something a million levels above our understanding.

One thing is clear that we do know at this time. It is all energy and the particles are just human described behavior.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Who encoded the program?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

cosmosmagazine.com...

This makes zero sense.

Everything can be a simulation within a simulation. Why does there's need to be anything "real."

We can create computers that run simulations and this could go on ad infinitum.

Quantum Consciousness can create the simulations.

Are We All Quantum Computers? Scientists Are Conducting Tests to Find Out

www.sciencealert.com...

Why a “genius” scientist thinks our consciousness originates at the quantum level

bigthink.com...

Is our Consciousness a Quantum System?

edgylabs.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Who encoded the program?

You did. And I. We all did. It will all be explained in your earth exit debriefing.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All I can say is I’m trusting less and less scientists and their “ science “ these days.

Common sense seems to be a thing of the past .

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If we are in a simulation or not, how will this impact us? What differences would there be if this was a created reality with physical properties or a simulation with code, also with properties?

How would you live your life differently? Would the answers you seek be in a completely new direction?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: dragonridr

3rd time, it really sunk in.

And in candy crush you have to match 3 candies to remove them. Coincidence?

a reply to: bluesjr

Isn't energy also just human described behavior? What is energy, really?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No Server needed
Think quantum entanglement

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Think about it it takes things (computers) to simulate other things. You can never put the entire universe into a computer because it's made up of too many discrete things. people are made of cells that are made of molecules that are made of atoms that are made of sub atomic particles and so forth. Think about what it would take to simulate the smallest component. Next consider that it would take at an absolute minimum more than one atom to create the simplest circuit. Plus all the interfacing connections and stuff that are made of matter it's just a dumb idea.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

cosmosmagazine.com...

This makes zero sense.

Everything can be a simulation within a simulation. Why does there's need to be anything "real."

We can create computers that run simulations and this could go on ad infinitum.

Quantum Consciousness can create the simulations.

Are We All Quantum Computers? Scientists Are Conducting Tests to Find Out

www.sciencealert.com...

Why a “genius” scientist thinks our consciousness originates at the quantum level

bigthink.com...

Is our Consciousness a Quantum System?

edgylabs.com...

“Quantum consciousness”? Let me guess, it’s like consciousness but all quantum-y.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

Nice thread! It's a subject that I contemplate often.

"So what's real? The quantum information that tells the particles how to be configured or some "physical" object like a cat, dog or tree? Quantum mechanics tells us that information wins the day. What we call "reality" is the end result of some information being processed. "

I like to take it a step further, first the quantum information tells quantum energy to act like particles. When what we used to call fundamental particles are broken down further and further, we are left with just energy. The physical universe is really just quantum energy arranged into patterns, so nothing is really 'physical'.

The universe seems to be more a fuzzy cloud of electrons and photons until something is actually observed, then the actual state is known and it collapses to physical presence.

But what happens to a photon that takes light years to travel across billions of miles across space, after the originating electron is annihilated by a positron. Does it disappear or continue rolling along - I'm guessing it is the latter as photons are simply energy ripples in space-time.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

When information is teleported it destroys the original copy. That's just amazing. The quantum state of say an electron or photon goes from point A to point B and the original electron or photon is destroyed and becomes an incoherent mess.

But how are memories transmitted? Wouldn't the new cat be just an exact physical copy but brand new? Sorry if this has been explained, it's going over my head, i don't get it

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
So this computer the size of the moon replicated itself from nothing, the programming, well, where would the programming come from ? the flat surface, what is that made from ? how was it made ? I have a feeling some one, perhaps that 'god' thing made it all ?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
A simulation is just data sent to project a picture that does not have physical presence. The very fact you can press against a wall and feel the resistance along with the texture of that wall contradicts the theory we are in a simulation. You can simulate pictures, you cannot simulate physical presence. The very fact that somebody will say that the physical attributes an item gives off is simulated so you think it's real is just copping out and refusing to accept being wrong.
edit on 11-5-2018 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Science is turning into an unprovable thought dream. We should try to get back to facts, observation, and experiments. I like a lot of the electric universe stuff that calls this type of thing nonsense and doesn't even believe that black holes exist.

Just because we've seen so many talk about this stuff doesn't mean it's real. More like the entire field has gone off the deep end. It's all mathematical fantasies backed by computer simulations not real facts. This prevents real science from making progress.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join