It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militias...an interesting video I just watched...Milita talk thread here

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Have you read about the militia of the UK? I think it was the Home Guard. It had a very interesting history.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Any citizen able to bare arms is part of the militia.

Currently inactive but yet on the list...

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6
That was a fascinating read, thanks

originally posted by: buddah6

Have you read about the militia of the UK? I think it was the Home Guard. It had a very interesting history.
I've had a read now you've mentioned it, nothing exists like that now aside from maybe Army reserves.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy I wasn't aware that after WW2 until the 1950's the Home Guard was very political and actually held seats in the House of Commons. The militia movement here wasn't so involved with politics only to react to it.

As I now look at the book, it is written by, oddly enough, an American history professor at the University of South Carolina. His name is S.P. MacKenzie if you are interested.

Wasn't the BBC's series "Dad's Army" about the Home Guard in 1940?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Yes 'Dads Army' was the home guard, the organisation was mocked unfairly to a certain extent, they really would have been Britains last line of defence in the event of invasion.
On a side note, I read that Poland has just started to recruit 50,000 volunteers for their new Territorial Defence Force (Militia in all but name) seems like they want as many boots on the ground with guns in case Russia tries it on.
Can understand them to be fair, they've been invaded loads of times.
I'd join a similar organisation in the UK if the age limit agreed, I've done my time, but that Churchill line "We will fight them on the beaches..." I'd fight invaders off my beach any day, that's what island nation citizens do, or they don't deserve to be on the island...in my opinion of course.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Looks like some of those guys might be older than 45.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Those old men were not hesitant to put everything on the line to protect home and country or die trying.

The best response that I have heard was; " I'm old and can't walk quickly so I don't retreat". Personally, I feel the same way!

The best illustration of what the militia is here in the US was when an overreaching government agency wanted to move Clive Bundy off his ranch and family home for over a 100 years the militia stood beside him. At that time, the Bureau Of Land Management was on a land grab from large ranchers by strong arm tactics. This is and was truly a tyrannical government. Other confrontations happened as well! A rancher in Texas was being squeezed for his property along the Red River and was stopped by the suggestion of militia involvement.

These examples are why the American Left wants to restrict or abolish our 2nd Amt rights. It has nothing to do with gun safety or school shootings. The progressives want absolute power to accomplish their Marxist agenda.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

In my opinion, a true militia won't advertise themselves this way.

Actual militias might be more considered as a loose band of like-minded people with prior military backgrounds, who really believe in freedom and preserving and defending the Constitution.

In my humble opinion.

Real militia has nothing to do with military background. Militia for the most part are civilians trained militarily to defend the country internally. Has nothing to do with the military force outside. Yes, they have to advertise themselves today because the gov forces hunt people down secretly. If they don't show themselves, it means they don't exist based on Gov checklist.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I could never be into something like this, I work too much and am not really a good people person after all is said and done. I say do what makes ya happy.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

They are defended and legal, but most choose to avoid the amount of press these types of groups receive. You should check out Oath Keepers/III%ers (not a militia, but group of like-minded Citizens who pledge to defend the Constitution)

It certainly isn't about racism or anti-government, patriots are diametrically opposed to such things. The militias and patriot movements are inclusive and welcoming Constitutionally mandated organizations of Citizens. Supremacist, Neo-Nazi groups, etc are not militias or comprised of patriots. They are domestic terrorist groups. Although as with any group, you will have some assholes get involved that are quickly run off

Great to see you have such an open mind on the matter

edit on 5/12/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Being older than 45 doesn't preclude participation in Constitutional defense. It just mandates those between certain ages (I believe 17-45) be a member of the unorganized militia (not the National Guard). The Second Amendment's "well regulated" clause also demands a certain amount of training/proficiency with firearms and other necessary skills, as determined by the individual or organization he/she belongs to

Although some argue this is outdated, outdated does not equal untrue/irrelevant. Constitutional Militias are just as relevant today as they were in the 1700's. With technology permitting significant central consolidation of power, I would argue Constitutional militias/patriots are even more necessary today

And most importantly, despite their political views, these individuals have remained entirely neutral during public events in which they feared for the Constitutional rights of all the participants

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Great to see you have such an open mind on the matter

The whole concept seems amazing for any community looking out for each other, in any country.
To me at least...I can't imagine any argument against decent blokes looking out for their people.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

ya know the more I think about it the more I agree with ya, because what if something happens and you do have to deal with your community. Open my mind a bit and think. I just don't like people.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join