It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militias...an interesting video I just watched...Milita talk thread here

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
I think there should be some sort of consensus agreeing what is a militia and what isn't.

We can't have lawless bands of ruffians calling themselves militias.

You hit the nail on the head, exactly what this uninformed Brit is trying to establish re: militias, are there clear organisational guidelines or is it just a group of armed citizens with common cause to defend fellow citizens?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: underwerks

Lol at the FBI record...what if a militia saved your ass from a tyrannical FBI in the future though?
Just being Devils advocate here

Hey, I guess I’d have to give them my support then. But it’d have to be a pretty big militia to actually take on the government and win. And I doubt any group of para-military people would be able to grow that large here in the U.S.

Most of them are probably FBI agents anyway.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I think there should be some sort of consensus agreeing what is a militia and what isn't.

That legislation has already been passed:

en.wikipedia.org...

This law repealed the Militia Acts of 1792 and designated the militia [per Title 10, Section 311] as two groups: the Unorganized Militia, which included all able-bodied men between ages 17 and 45, and the Organized Militia, which included state militia (National Guard) units receiving federal support.

This law also reshaped the National Guard into the regimented system we know today, with federal authority looming over them.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Ah, sorry maybe I should have phrased it differently, are there 'left wing' militias or is that an oxymoron?
Militia concept is alien to Brits so I'm enjoying learning, and thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Thanks for answering my question

Do big cities like NY have militias training in urban conflict or whatever as well?
Most I see online are more rural.

EDIT
Just searched, and gosh yes, NY has official 'state' militia, and privately run groups.
NY Guard, New York Light Foot Militia, and NY militia. It seems like a seperate 'arms length' armed force of the states.
edit on 10-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Have you played the game Far Cry 5? Its about a Radical "Militia" taking over a fictional Montana country called Hope County and terrorized the local populace and the player's mission is to liberate Hope County from them.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

There are left-wing militias.

It's just that those two groups mentioned earlier don't really fall into the category of a militia.

One is a protest movement the other is a fascist violent mob.

My advice to anyone who joins a militia is this:

Ask what they do. If all they do is bitch about government or other political groups while playing soldier in the woods, then they aren't a militia. If they aren't actively helping their community or providing a service that is beneficial to people, stay away.

Ask what their training regiments and physical fitness requirements are. If they can't answer that, then they aren't a militia. They are just a bunch of fatasses pretending to be stalwart guards of freedom. People like that can be dangerous to themselves and others. Don't join garbage militias.

There is NOTHING wrong with militia membership. You can build up a militia for almost any reason. But I am really put off by right wing and left wing militias because all they really care about is the advancement of their political goals and enforcement thereof through violence.

edit on 10 5 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 5 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

No I haven't, I'm not really a gamer, but interesting concept for a game.

Thanks again for the interesting reply, it really is fascinating to me in 'controlled' Britain, such a concept of militia would be stamped on quicker than you could say make Britain great again.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Thanks for answering my question

Do big cities like NY have militias training in urban conflict or whatever as well?
Most I see online are more rural.

Most militias are rural and train in shoot-houses and other constructs for the purposes of urban-warfare.

There are also private military contractors(PMCs) that train civilians in small group tactics and other techniques.

www.magpulcore.com...

www.academi.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Why are militias always labelled as "right wing"?
They exist by government mandate, there are 2 types the first being an official state militia under direct command of the governor of that state.
The second type is the unofficial citizens group which may or may not answer the call of the governor.
Some of them are admittedly right wing but certainly not all.
You would be shocked to discover who might belong to one, most don't advertise the fact.
I have done a good deal of training with various groups and there are a few I refused to teach.
The less they know the better off we all are.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Again nice one for the interesting reply and vids, it really is a different culture in the US and I'm finding it fascinating reading/watching the differences.
I see 'militias' as strong community in the right environment, nothing like that here in Britain.
I'd love to read some member comments of actually being in a militia, there is a member I've seen assert that he is a 3 percenter, I'm hoping he'll notice this and share his thoughts.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

That would seem to me to be the sensible choice if facing tyrannical government.
I also wondered about the whole left/right thing with militias, interesting to learn that they actually do cross the political divide.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That would seem to me to be the sensible choice if facing tyrannical government.
I also wondered about the whole left/right thing with militias, interesting to learn that they actually do cross the political divide.

I meant in reference to the groups I refused to teach.
Basically Neo Nazis prepping for a race war.
No thanks.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I meant in reference to the groups I refused to teach.
Basically Neo Nazis prepping for a race war.
No thanks.

I can totally understand that.
It always boils down to the people and their ideology I guess, militias as a concept seem like something any country could benefit from, just ironing out the crazies is the issue.
Fascinating topic for me though so any US members want to throw your opinions in the ring I'm grateful to read them. ATS is brilliant for that, much better than lame Googling it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Shameless thread bump, any US members who haven't seen this but want to chime in please do!
It is genuinely interesting as the Brit culture is so different, no laws stopping troops from backing up and acting as police in the UK.
We'd be #'d in a tyrannical government scenario.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

I understand, I mean before moving to Germany I had a some friends who had some friends and we had a loose affiliation and plan in place if things ever truly went sideways.

Diverse group, diverse skill set, all of us Armed, and we would use each others property to basically hop scotch across the state to the back country to try and ride out what ever set the plan into motion.

But first and foremost conflict was the last resort, protect the family, help where we can, and get our families to a safe place. Once settled we planned to approach the local sheriff and offer assistance if they needed it, but where we were going I doubt they would need it, folks were very independent minded.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Good plan, a loose affiliation of friends

Being armed makes a massive difference in such a scenario, I'm lucky I'm up in the food chain of dodgy people in my area so criminal friends will absolutely be beneficial if society collapsed. I've been tempted to buy an unlicensed pistol for a while just they are so damn expensive on the black market. Only for emergency situations like total societal collapse because whoever has the arms will be calling the shots.
I know which mates to band together with if I ever need to though, we chat about it sometimes, our criminal community is a bit like a militia in my mind, and I trust some 'crims' more than I trust any 'straight' people.
Sounds like an oxymoron I know, but I understand the criminal code here, I know people who shift coke by the kilo but would help old 'Mrs Smith' carry her shopping home in between deals.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

the only friends I still have from childhood, were guys and gals that walked confidently in the grey areas of the law. The kinds of friends I could call if I had a body to get rid of, and their first response would be Ive got the shovels and know where to drop it.

Forgot to add, I do not consider that loose affiliation a Militia because we all do our own thing as far as prepping and fire arms practice.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

the only friends I still have from childhood, were guys and gals that walked confidently in the grey areas of the law. The kinds of friends I could call if I had a body to get rid of, and their first response would be Ive got the shovels and know where to drop it.
Haha yes, me and my best mate were chuckling about the same the other day, listing who would help bury a body without question.

Forgot to add, I do not consider that loose affiliation a Militia because we all do our own thing as far as prepping and fire arms practice.
Yep, I get that, and I think the general concept of an organised militia is a fantastic right for people to exercise in their communities if they wish.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

The problem is a lot of people think all militias are right wing racists due to nutcases like the white supremacist group the Covenant, the Sword and the Arm of the Lord. I think there should be some sort of consensus agreeing what is a militia and what isn't.

We can't have lawless bands of ruffians calling themselves militias.

First of all, much of the information being thrown out here is solely and largely political. Yes, there are some militia groups in the US with extreme right wing views and just about the same number of left winger groups living in momma's basement. Overall, most militia groups are made up of ex-military people who believe in the constitutional foundation of the US. They are not terrorist!

The only time the average person sees them is when they make the news. These events usually involve the US government over-stepping their legal or moral grounds. They are the last line of defense against a tyrannical government. For this reason, the government (leftists) want the removal of the second amendment to make their misdeeds easier to accomplish. When the government's behavior becomes onerous the enrollment in the unorganized militia swells particularly over the last 9 years.

Several years ago, Janet Napolatano, the Homeland Security Secretary, stated that the biggest threat to the Obama government was the returning veterans. This was followed by the attempt to classify vets with PTSD as dangerous and should have their 2nd Amt. rights revoked...a government acting onerously.

Many state have both organized and unorganized militias. The organized militias, under the National Guard Bureau oversight, have been reduced to the level of donut dollies. They are organized into "sustainment units" where 40 years ago had infantry and MP units. They get little or no support from the government only heavy bureaucracy. Militiamen must buy their own uniforms and equipment but not modern equipment issued to the NG, that is restricted. It's leadership suffers as well. It is by appointment and restricted to mostly lawyers and school teachers at the upper levels. When I first came into contact with the Ohio militia (OMR) the commander was a lawyer who was defending Governor Rhodes in the Kent State shooting at the time.

The Ohio unorganized militias are doing surprisingly well! As far as I know, there are five statewide. Four have more members than organized militia total roles. One group has several times the number of members and has modern equipment as well. None of the unorganized militia want any association with the official group or it's poor support and leadership under Gov. John Kasich (RINO). It is highly political!!!

Several other states have organized militias that are functional. Tennessee and Georgia are the first to come to mind. However, Ohio seems to be stuck in a political malaise and only rises to the level of a military club.

The militia has been around since the early 1700's and has served us well. The National Guard has only been around since the Dick Act of 1906. Many states kept their militias around due to the NG having an obligation to serve during Federal Crises and may be otherwise absent from the state.

The Unorganized groups came about due to the politicization of the NG and it's uses by national and state governments.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join