It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militias...an interesting video I just watched...Milita talk thread here

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

In short,the vid shows interviews and 'fly on the wall' footage of a militia in Georgia called "111%".
My first thoughts were a rag-tag bunch of wannabe's but after listening to them, they seem genuinely patriotic and defenders of the constitution. The leader of the group states he is pro government yet opposed to tryannical government, his wife is not white but they didn't say her heritage, but she stated their group is not racist.
One of their members filmed training with them was black African heritage and he said he's welcomed as a part of their team.

I've changed my thoughts about militias although I didn't know much about them, certainly this group in the vid seem to have intentions which I can have some respect for. There's nothing like it in the UK and would probably become a banned organisation, but it is fascinating for a spectator over the pond.

So, to my US friends, any militias in your area, are you a member of one, or what are your general thoughts about such organisations?
Any vids posted will be more than welcome, I've watched a few and some groups seem more organised than others, offering search and rescue assistance etc to their rural communities.

It is a totally US thing which I find interesting so please excuse me if I just sit back and read if anyone replies and wants to educate this Brit who can't even carry a lock knife for purposes of defence...I know, different worlds, but please don't do the 'subjects of the Crown' pissing match thing, I just want to learn more about militias in general, and would love to read members personal experiences.
Thanks in advance,
CCG.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

In my opinion, a true militia won't advertise themselves this way.

Actual militias might be more considered as a loose band of like-minded people with prior military backgrounds, who really believe in freedom and preserving and defending the Constitution.

In my humble opinion.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's interesting, I thought militias were accepted and defended groups in the constitution? I am only going on what I think I've read before though.
Do you think by being 'public' it's like putting a target on ones back in the case of tyrannical government?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I'm not a fan of so called militias like Cliven Bundy. Look, I know many people here want to see him as some sort of Patriot but he's a Mormon zealot that would have carved up his own fiefdom if given a chance.

It wasn't the federal government that was overreaching and abridging the rights of citizens. Rather, it was Bundy fanaticism that put innocent lives at risk, Ward says.

"They are extremists," says Ward, who was hailed by Grasty for exercising patience and restraint in the extremely volatile crises that overwhelmed this quiet community. "Any disagreement with them makes you the enemy."

www.cityweekly.net...
edit on 5/10/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Obviously. Just look how partisan and anti freedom our country has become.

And it's not Republican versus democrat, but government in general.

Heck, our government is getting just as bad with CCTV camera as the UK.

Just this week, our local police we're "asking" everyone with networked home security systems to link on with the police systems.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oops. Double post
edit on 10-5-2018 by DBCowboy because: Beer

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Cheers for the reply, I hadn't heard of him, I'll do some reading

I guess like in all walks of life there are decent folk and nutters who give them a bad name.
I personally love the concept of citizen militias looking out for each others community.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
People look at these militias and have no idea why they even exist.

Several states have state defense forces not tied to the federal government. Those are citizen militias where the training regiment is set by the state, officers appointed by the state, and the people who make up the militia provide the equipment and volunteer their time.

Most of these state-funded or chartered militias do things like, assist law enforcement during a major event, provide security during natural disasters, and other activities. They are meant to be the initial boots on the ground until NG and federal resources can be brought to bear.

The characterization of militias as strictly politically motivated armed groups is inaccurate.
edit on 10 5 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Its a good idea. The problem is you have nut cases like Timothy McVeigh who claimed to be part of the militia yet do terrible things.

I think a militia can be be useful in situations like let's say quelling a fascist insurgency.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just this week, our local police we're "asking" everyone with networked home security systems to link on with the police systems.
Bloody 'ell that sounds sinister as #, wouldn't get me doing that here.
CCTV isn't so bad once you get out of the cities and off the main highways here. I have plenty of known routes to travel hundreds of miles without getting picked up on Automatic license plate recognition cameras. You know, if something need burying on the moors or whatever.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

a true militia can and will, it's their right! screw em all.. they have rights too

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Me personally, I have a problem with defining myself by what a group larger than me thinks. I watched this video when it came out, and they just seem like weekend warriors to me. I probably don’t need anything else on my FBI record either. Lol.

So it’s a no to militias from me. But if you’re into that kind of thing, go for it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Now him I have heard of. Proper nutcase.
On that note, do BLM and Antifa etc have opposing militias? I hadn't really thought about that angle.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As per the 2nd Amendment, Militia's are a necessity.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Militias can be good or bad, all depends on the people.

A quick glance at the video makes me think its closer to a prepping group that has grown to something more, a militia (and maybe I'm old fashioned) will be closer to what DB said, a group of folks loosely bound only by the need for mutual protection/shared hobbies type of situation.

ETA: something about the way the leader was talking bothered me, struck me as the type that would try to become a robber baron if the stuff hit the fan.

edit on 10-5-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

That sounds like a fantastic scheme as well for rural states or whatever. The only remotely similar thing in the UK would be the Army reserve. They help out in disasters and the like, even the dirty work like burning all those cows when we had a foot n mouth epidemic.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The problem is a lot of people think all militias are right wing racists due to nutcases like the white supremacist group the Covenant, the Sword and the Arm of the Lord. I think there should be some sort of consensus agreeing what is a militia and what isn't.

We can't have lawless bands of ruffians calling themselves militias.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Lol at the FBI record...what if a militia saved your ass from a tyrannical FBI in the future though?
Just being Devils advocate here

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

BLM is not a militia group.

Antifa isn't a militia and while some of their members might be armed, they use their numbers and weapons to attack people for political motivations.

An armed mob and a militia aren't the same things. Militias tend to have clear purposes for why they exist and only operate within those parameters. Armed mobs just show up to intimidate or hurt people.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
something about the way the leader was talking bothered me, struck me as the type that would try to become a robber baron if the stuff hit the fan.

I thought similar, but when shtf there will always be leader of the hardest gang I guess, I'd rather be his mate than enemy if I lived in his neck of the woods, for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join