It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo: UK plan to launch rival to EU sat-nav system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Massive earner for who through?
As Sprocket said apparently it could be a good earner for Scotland seeing as you have world class facilities.

a reply to: SprocketUK
Good point about India, I hadn't thought of them, they'd for sure charge us less than the ESA.
I really hope Britain goes for it, and agree with Paraphi about the ground stations in the Falklands & Assencion, we could play hard ball with that if the EU want it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Massive earner for who through?
As Sprocket said apparently it could be a good earner for Scotland seeing as you have world class facilities.

Good point about India, I hadn't thought of them, they'd for sure charge us less than the ESA.
I really hope Britain goes for it, and agree with Paraphi about the ground stations in the Falklands & Assencion, we could play hard ball with that if the EU want it.

When you think of all the Commonwealth countries that would leap at the chance to host a ground station and provide other expertise....It could be a great project to build ties with.
ETA Australian Space Agency www.abc.net.au...
edit on 04pThu, 10 May 2018 08:09:04 -050020182018-05-10T08:09:04-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Maybe not the best of ideas to be promoting what amounts to committing terrorist acts against people who don't support Brexit, just a thought.

Brexit will fail, just like the majority of the U.K, and by design no less.

As to getting called up, well you are getting called out!

No need for anyone to be shot up and/or cleared out aside from the current political establishment at the helm of this supposed first world nation.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Maybe not the best of ideas to be promoting what amounts to committing terrorist acts against people who don't support Brexit, just a thought.

Brexit will fail, just like the majority of the U.K, and by design no less.

As to getting called up, well you are getting called out!

No need for anyone to be shot up and/or cleared out aside from the current political establishment at the helm of this supposed first world nation.

You may not have got the humour, though I suspect you chose to try and be offended rather than actually were

edit on 55pThu, 10 May 2018 08:45:55 -050020182018-05-10T08:45:55-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: I must not be mean to those less fortunate than myself

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Crap in one hand wee Man, wish in the other, see which one fills up first. x

I'm glad you are bored, go outside and spout your hatred to Men, then go get that burst, broken, snib repaired by our national health service whilst it still remains.
edit on 10-5-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The more I think of it a Commonwealth approach would really be the way to go if the EU dump us out of Galileo, I actually want them to now and reinforce our ties with the rest of the English speaking world.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Now now boys, play nice lol, lets celebrate the potentials of Britain and keep confidence high, pessimism doesn't get big projects like this done. Optimism has to be the way forward.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Fair play to that.

Just don't hold with peeps promoting hurting others that can actually see the forest from the trees or being shot up and/or cleared out.

Optimism through can be a double-edged sword, especially when our nation is all glass half empty the way it is now.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

The more I think of it a Commonwealth approach would really be the way to go if the EU dump us out of Galileo, I actually want them to now and reinforce our ties with the rest of the English speaking world.

Probably isn't one single bit of sky that doesn't have line of sight to at least one Commonwealth country. Anything involving satellite networks ought to put us at the head of the game, really.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Just don't hold with peeps promoting hurting others

In this case it is the EU promoting hurting the UK. Having taken the UKs money and expertise they are now running on an agenda of pettiness and revenge. However, it will come back to bite the EU in the arse, because it makes no sense to antagonise a fellow European country, and major partner and friend.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Agreed, our own overseas territories are pretty well scattered around the globe as well.

a reply to: paraphi
It could well bite them on the arse, I almost wish we do go it alone, then sell it's commercial services as direct competition to Galileo, would be funny if we captured the market.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

None of it makes any sense really. But one things for sure there is an agenda or even multiple agenda at play that the public is not privy to all the ins and outs of regarding Brexit and antagonism displayed.

What would seem to make sense would be a logical partnership between nations who are supposed to be partners and friends.

In the end its all about monies and power, nothing new on that score all the same.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

What would seem to make sense would be a logical partnership between nations who are supposed to be partners and friends.

Behave, that's way too sensible!
...and in any case, the European Commission wouldn't want to lose their grip on power in their grubby little hands.
Either way, UK satelite network for the win!!

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Well, it looks like the gloves are actually off. With the EU explicitly saying the UK is out of Galileo - even after the colossal UK investment - the UK is now looking at its own options. With allies like the EU, who needs enemies!

Officials have been looking at ways in could refuse the the EU access to ground stations in the Falkland Islands and the Ascension Islands
and

Whitehall has also been looking at ways to sabotage the EU’s satellite project and prevent the transfer of technology and expertise from the UK to the EU

Source Indie

Interesting article from FT

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

How are they getting it up there when we don't have any rockets of our own that can launch the thing?

Could possibly use our Trident system for something other than completely nothing i suppose.

As to a strong and stable Britain after Brexit???

This nation will be on its arse for at least two decades to come, and then on its knees for the next 50 years.

Brexit is for Tories and rich people, the rest of us better invest heavily in Petroleum jelly and learn to bend over.

The first stage of the Areine rocket used by ESA is British, the biggest part.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Ooh that is interesting, bring it on I say, I hope the UK government rises to the bait and goes for it ourself.
A bit of national pride and confidence, new flagship project, we could have the last laugh.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

This from the govt is interesting:
Gov.uk

Satellites and space-based services provide communications, imagery, precision targeting and friendly force tracking for the Armed Forces. As the reliance on satellites continues to grow, any disruption could lead to severe consequences, whether by natural or man-made hazards, or intentional threats from hostile states. The Defence Space Strategy will examine how we can work with our allies across NATO and the five-eyes partnership to protect and defend our mutual space interests.
I read that as "Yeah we've got other mates as well EU", and further up in the statement it mentions Falklands/Ascension islands ground infrastructure. Good old fashioned British diplomacy really saying, try it and we'll cut you off on the ground.
This is getting really interesting, but inside I'd love the UK to develop our own system.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A recent Galileo system outage, might be part of an EU orchestrated plot, to attempt to blame the US for jamming their satellite and give a perception of the fact that the EU lacks Digital and Electronic sovereignty over its territory ...

This is misleading ... most likely the EU itself is causing the outage on their own to appear as a victim ... AGAIN !

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Or it might be because the EU have cut the UK out. As the UK invested so heavily and built critical parts, the EU may be suffering frm their stupidity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join