It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo: UK plan to launch rival to EU sat-nav system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
BBCNews link

The UK is considering plans to launch a satellite-navigation system as a rival to the EU's Galileo project.
The move comes after the UK was told it would be shut out of key elements of the programme after Brexit.
The UK has spent 1.4bn euros (£1.2bn) on Galileo, which is meant to be Europe's answer to the US GPS system.

Graham Turnock, chief executive of the UK Space Agency, said early feasibility work was under way into a UK system, which he said would cost a "lot less" than Galileo, thanks to work already done and "British know-how and ingenuity".
Asked by the BBC's Science Correspondent Jonathan Amos if it could be as much as £5bn, he said "tops".

So the EU is thretening to deny UK military access to the more accurate services of Galileo GPS after Brexit. It seems a pretty childish move in my opinion but on the plus side I like the confidence of government and industry saying okay we'll build our own.
This is exactly the sort of attitude I want to see from a confident independent Britain.

So what do people think? A good idea or a waste of money? I'm all for it if only to flip the finger to the EU.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I think it's more of the same from the EU "negotiators" , sad little runts that they are.
As we are already a contributor to the project both financially and technically I doubt legally they can exclude us , any claims of security concerns ring hollow in the face of ....

The EU’s argument that to allow British involvement would be a security risk are perverse, given that China, Israel, Ukraine and Morocco are participating in the project. Does anyone really think that relations between post-Brexit Britain and EU will sink so low that European governments will consider us more of a security risk than China?
blogs.spectator.co.uk...

They may want to take their ball away but we already own part of it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

How are they getting it up there when we don't have any rockets of our own that can launch the thing?

Could possibly use our Trident system for something other than completely nothing i suppose.

As to a strong and stable Britain after Brexit???

This nation will be on its arse for at least two decades to come, and then on its knees for the next 50 years.

Brexit is for Tories and rich people, the rest of us better invest heavily in Petroleum jelly and learn to bend over.

edit on 10-5-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

How are they getting it up there when we don't have any rockets of our own that can launch the thing?

Europe has the Ariane 5 Rocket system which has already launched part of the network.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think it's just more hollow scaremongering threats as usual, but I'd definitely support moves for us to go it alone if they follow through with it. Big investment in high paid technical jobs can't be a bad thing.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

And will we be guaranteed access to the Ariane 5 launching system after we depart the union?

Probably yes, but it might cost us sustainably more to utilize the service.

Money talks i suppose.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I agree with Gortex, there's no way the ESA would turn down an earner launching our satelites. They might stick the price up a bit though knowing Britain doesn't have many options.
EDIT
I see you read my mind about the inflated charge for using Arianne

edit on 10-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

And will we be guaranteed access to the Ariane 5 launching system after we depart the union?

Probably yes, but it might cost us sustainably more to utilize the service.

Money talks i suppose.

The European Space Agency is bugger all to do with The E.U. The U.K. is the third largest contributor to The European Space Agency after France & Germany.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

It is what it is after all, if the tech does what it says on the tin and offers an alternative with possibly even better positioning, then im sure people will be willing to invest monies in the technology and see the system launched.

No need for Brexit to do so all the same.
LoL

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

We are the 4th largest contributor to ESA so they may want to think on that.
publications.parliament.uk...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
A next-generation GPS satellite system is going to be the foundation stone of new services. With 1 meter accuracy, they would be able to provide navigation for drones, pay-per-the-mile billing for road taxes, better navigation for pedestrians in urban areas with smartphones.

Once you know how to make one satellite, you know how to make dozens of them. Then you just need to make the GPS chips for the electronic devices. GPS circuit boards/chips for electronics cost anything from $1.50 to $30. Those are sold in the hundreds of thousands if not millions, so that's another earner. Probably, those devices will support multiple GPS systems as a backup.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

And yet i still imagine there will be additional cost and procedure post Brexit.

Time will tell i suppose.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

That's why I think they'd jump at the chance to charge us for launching our own GPS satelites, money does indeed talk.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think as Stormcell said, it could be a massive earner, definitely a 'flagship' project for the nation.
...and as for Brexit, I've accepted it and look to announcments like this as a positive confident move for Britain, we have the talent and resources, just need the confidence to say do it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have been keeping an eye on this one. The motivation appears to be commercial - in they want to inhibit the ability of UK companies (e.g.satellite) to compete for contracts.

Personally, I would like to see the UK develop its own GPS, perhaps with some stable allies, like Australia. The UK has the ability to do so and will probably make a better run at it than the EU-driven over-budget-over-time effort.

Also, I would like to see the UK close the Galileo ground stations on the Falkland Islands and Ascension Island, while retasking those towards a national effort.

As the EU turns in on itself, it will lose the support of countries who have traditionally saved them from themselves.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Massive earner for who through?

Whether or not we will continue to produce the talent and resources after such in my main concern.

Where does such confidence emanate from given the current socioeconomic climate?

Hope might spring eternal but the Tories and Bankers are the ones that will profit from Brexit, the rest of us not so much im afraid.

The fact of the matter is that it's our children and coming generations that will pay the cost and foot the ultimate bill.

edit on 10-5-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, considering the world centre for miniaturised satellites is in Scotland, I am pretty confident we could do it ourselves.
www.bbc.co.uk...

As for launchers, chucking the Indians a few quid to launch them for us would be a good move and also help out a Commonwealth nation.

maybe we could pay extra to have a few morons who still cant accept Brexit shot up and clear some space in the house of Lords?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

"maybe we could pay extra to have a few morons who still cant accept Brexit shot up and clear some space in the house of Lords?"

Maybe you could try it yourself, and most assuredly get your arse handed to you in your handbag.
x

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Europe has the Ariane 5 Rocket system which has already launched part of the network.

That's probably why Galileo is so expensive. One EU project keeping a big national (France) ESA member alive by guaranteeing satellite launches. Give it ten years and new commercial operators and new technology (e.g. Skylon) will reduce Ariane to the scrap-heap, alongside the other traditional money-sponges.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: SprocketUK

"maybe we could pay extra to have a few morons who still cant accept Brexit shot up and clear some space in the house of Lords?"

Maybe you could try it yourself, and most assuredly get your arse handed to you in your handbag.
x

Wasn't aware you were an unelected member of the upper house.
You are still regurgitating the project fear claptrap they love so much, so maybe you will get called up soon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join