It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s pullout from the Iran nuclear deal has put Europe under pressure to salvage agreement.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Full title of the Article: US President Donald Trump’s pullout from the Iran nuclear deal has put Europe under pressure to salvage the 2015 multilateral agreement. But does the EU have what it takes to stand up to US sanctions?

When the nuclear deal was made with Iran, many European businesses went back into Iran trying to make money. Now that the USA has pulled out of the deal there are fears that sanctions will once again be applied to Iran.

European companies, thus governments are getting all bent out of shape due to fear of losing revenue.. Which is understandable..

The question in my mind is how will America get the rest of the NATO smorgasbord to go along with sanctions if the USA forces the issue..?

But Trump’s pullout has left international companies doing business in Iran vulnerable to the extraterritoriality of US law, which enables Washington to punish foreign companies operating in Iran if they have business dealings with the US or use dollar transactions.

Europe has long complained about the long arm of US economic jurisdictions, which made it difficult for major European banks and companies to operate in Iran even before the US pullout. Amid uncertainty over Trump’s impending decision, European banks have avoided Iran-related transactions, fearing “the American guillotine” that has severely punished firms evading US sanctions in the past, such as a hefty, almost $9 billion fine slapped on France’s largest bank, BNP Paribas, in 2014 for sanctions evasion.

On Wednesday, those gripes reached a pitch. Slamming the US withdrawal from the Iran deal as “an error”, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Marie complained that it was “not acceptable” for the US to play “economic policeman of the planet”.

www.france24.com...

I expect a lot of squealing on both sides before this is over..

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
And this should trouble me , why ?
Bully for Europe if they want to keep feedin money to a bunch of radical mullahs
The US is done with the lot of em

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
And this should trouble me , why ?
Bully for Europe if they want to keep feedin money to a bunch of radical mullahs
The US is done with the lot of em

President Trump announced yesterday that he was unilaterally pulling the U.S. out of the so-called Iran Deal, an international agreement that lifted sanctions on Iran in exchange for the cessation of Iran’s nuclear weapons program. But now that the sanctions are being reinstated, some American companies stand to lose a lot of money. Boeing alone is losing about $20 billion in contracts.

gizmodo.com...

The US Treasury says licenses held by aerospace giants Boeing and Airbus to sell passenger jets to Iran will be revoked after Washington announced its withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

"The Boeing and (Airbus) licenses will be revoked," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Tuesday.

"Under the original deal there were waivers for commercial aircraft, parts and services and the existing licenses will be revoked," he added.

The remarks came after US President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced that he was quitting the Iran nuclear agreement, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

www.presstv.com...

You were saying ?

On a lighter note IMO we can expect all kinds of fireworks once the bean counters start realizing how much their companies stand to lose all around the world..
edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Y'all realize this "deal" was not signed by Iran?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Europe needs to stand on its own two feet here. I find it more than just a little ironic that the Iran deal, when all is said and done, comes down to money...and NOT a nuclear apocalypse in Europe. Just never ceases to amaze me how that works. Sometimes I really wonder if nukes wouldn't just vanish if you removed money from the equation. So many like to point to nukes existing as a result of ideology (religion, governmental structure, etc.), and maybe that's true, IF the only ideology we're talking about here is...greed!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

Y'all realize this "deal" was not signed by Iran?

I don't think they read that part.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Europe needs to stand on its own two feet here. I find it more than just a little ironic that the Iran deal, when all is said and done, comes down to money...and NOT a nuclear apocalypse in Europe. Just never ceases to amaze me how that works. Sometimes I really wonder if nukes wouldn't just vanish if you removed money from the equation. So many like to point to nukes existing as a result of ideology (religion, governmental structure, etc.), and maybe that's true, IF the only ideology we're talking about here is...greed!

I wonder how many big big wars have been averted due to countries having nukes..?

Governments seem to have a great propensity for finding reasons to send their own young to die in a war that the government says is necessary.

Now the really big wars seem to be off the table unless you are one of the unlucky ones being killed by the many funded proxies doing the dirty work all around the world... Sucks IMO.. If the Mother ship destroyed all the nuclear weapons tomorrow or made them inoperable you have to wonder how long it would take for countries to start going toe to toe once again like old school ?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

... I wonder how many big big wars have been averted due to countries having nukes..?

Well, one could argue...every war since 1945, right?

Nukes aren't a particularly effective tactical weapon, but they very much are a huge strategic deterrent. Conflicts since 1945 have been, as you note, proxy wars, not real ones. The bottom line is; conventional warfare is not possible in the shadow of nuclear weapons.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Trump is not the President of Europe.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Funny thing happened to me last night.
I was thinking about how it could be done that european companies, which are blackmailed by the "U"S with these Iran sanctions, could be prevented from making losses and from staying "loyal" to the "U"S(because of greed, money).

I found out that something like that existed to the times of the Cuba crisis. The "U"SA wanted to sue the whole world at that time too, if somebody would do business with Cuba.
Helms–Burton Act
Then europe created an insurance for all of the losses companies could suffer from, because of that "U"S "king of the world" behaviour. And they did something i thought about too. They had the right to sue european companies which would follow the "U"S dictatorship.

Means, if somebody was too greedy and wanted to dance to the "U"S tunes because of more profits, against moral and logic, he could end up in court. If i understood that right late last night, the EU is working on something similiar, or at least thinking about it.

And it would be right, who is the Trump-"U"SA to tell the world with who the rest of the world is allowed to do business with? The world is not stupid enough anymore, while the "U"S forces others to sanction soverain states, themselves never stopped their businesses with the sanctioned states. For example, europe has to sanction russia(for whatever reason, because the "U"SA wants it) but at the same time the number of deals, the profits between russia and the "U"SA rise. While stupid europeans harm only themselves with the anti-russia sanctions.

edit on 10 5 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

You mock the "U"SA...

...but are you not from the E"U"???

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I suspect this is one 'potential' factored in with the Trump move. Use the EU to add pressure to Iran to 'renegotiate'.

As far as the EU complying with the sanctions. It's really not a direct 'EU' issue. With U.S. sanctions in play, any Corporation, doing business with Iran is blocked from doing business in the U.S.. It becomes that individual Corporation's call. They can keep dealing with Iran if the choose. I'd presume many will continue, if they do little or no business in the U.S..

If it's , say an Airbus, for example, they 'could' still sell aircraft to Iran but lose far more business being blocked from U.S. sales. What Boeing would lose in Iranian sales, they would gain by picking up what 'was' Airbus sales in the U.S..

There's really nothing the EU can do to force the U.S. to buy those 'Airbus' aircraft.

I think that I have this right. Not positive, though.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Well last I checked he is the leader of the country who owns the currency everyone does business in...as well as the country everyone comes to with their problems and for help. So I guess when these EU countries can stand on 2 feet and provide enough protection for themselves they can ignore these sanctions and not worry. Of course they also lose all the ability to manipulate the world stage to benefit them without the US military behind it though...don't see them letting go of that teet any time soon.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Nothing in that interesting premise changes he fact that the U.S. still wouldn't buy from Corporations that sold to Iran. Then there's be the so-called insurance costs, etc. So go ahead, the U.S. isn't forcing anyone not to sell to Iran. You feel Iran is righteous in this, align with Iran.

It shoud be noted that Saudi Arabia, U.A.E., Bahrain...so far have come out in support of Trump's decision.

You want a nuked up ME? Fine. Have at it.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the EU and their concerns for profit in Iran. You go your way and we'll go ours. Fair enough?

edit on 10-5-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Claims that the US pulling out of the agreement are designed to hurt or will hurt the Iranian economy are baseless, just like the Russia sanctions have crashed the Russian Economy , total bollocks.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm taking a fortnight's vacation from caring about the EU. They can fend for themselves for a while.

new topics

top topics

join