It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Woodcarver

I believe in a supreme being.

Why?

Because it provides answers to questions that
make perfect sense in comparison to the
alternative. Where there are no answers. To not
believe that life can only come from life is
delusional.

Baby steps for you? We do'n okay so far?
And what are those answers and how did you come about them?

I do not think that life can only come from life. In fact we know beyond any reasonable doubt, that we are made of completely inanimate material. We know that it is possible to create an environment that is condusive to molecules forming RNA, all by themselves.

You do realise that you are made of billions of inanimate molecules?
edit on 10-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

You may

He plays this way all the time. Give him an
explanation he can't argue and "It doesn't
make sense." or he throughs a different word
at the explanation. Assertion WTF?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

If I may interject...

If you were to be given a detailed account of an experience that led to a belief in God, would you be genuinely interested in what was said?
Are you actually looking to understand the reasoning, or are you readying to make ridicule as your mind is already made up that the experience is nothing more than psychosis?
I am always open to listening. However, those details are very important to whether i will believe the accounts. Is that a reasonable position?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Interesting interjection

I will never understand Randy's experience with whatever it was made him believe in a god, but I imagine he can understand that while I have so far never experienced such a thing in my life I remain a non-believer.
I'm cool with Randy and his faith, we just differ when it is presented as fact.
I keep an open mind, I just don't start blindly believing unknown people's testimonies.

...crap god though, I'd be an A list star on TV and social media if I was a god, I'd reel them in with miracles like back in the day, billions of followers my name trending like a bad boy.
Strange how miracles kinda stopped a couple of thousand years ago...did god die or something?

Great answer!

I'm not sure it's a case of blindly believing unknown people's testimonies though. It's personal experiences. Personal. Subjective.
You know what I mean?

Silent God?
God using social media? Lol
Interesting, got me thinking...

Gotta be following to hear the Tweets.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You don't think that life can only come from
life?

So even if there was demonstrable scientific
evidence for a supreme being?

You wouldn't think there was one any way.

No need for us to discuss this any further.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

I think you are misunderstanding the philosophy of atheism. While I am not an atheist, the way you are describing it is not accurate nor correct. The video issue may well be your mistake too. I can't tell.

So as far as I can tell, you have a mad on against them. Speaking as a polytheist. If God as issue with someone, it is that Gods problem to deal with. Not one of their minions. This includes (and I am assuming) your little god of Israeli

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If I may interject...

If you were to be given a detailed account of an experience that led to a belief in God, would you be genuinely interested in what was said?
Are you actually looking to understand the reasoning, or are you readying to make ridicule as your mind is already made up that the experience is nothing more than psychosis?
I am always open to listening. However, those details are very important to whether i will believe the accounts. Is that a reasonable position?

Of course the details are important.
You misunderstood my question.

I was asking about your intentions in your line of questioning, not your opinion of the answers you get.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

If I may interject...

Of course the details are important.
You misunderstood my question.

I was asking about your intentions in your line of questioning, not your opinion of the answers you get.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

You don't think that life can only come from
life?

So even if there was demonstrable scientific
evidence for a supreme being?

You wouldn't think there was one any way.

No need for us to discuss this any further.
If you can demonstrate this supreme being, let’s have it?

We know beyond a reasonable doubt that living things are made up from inanimate atoms and molecules. Do you doubt this?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Interesting interjection

I will never understand Randy's experience with whatever it was made him believe in a god, but I imagine he can understand that while I have so far never experienced such a thing in my life I remain a non-believer.
I keep an open mind, I just don't start blindly believing unknown people's testimonies.

...crap god though, I'd be an A list star on TV and social media if I was a god, I'd reel them in with miracles like back in the day, billions of followers my name trending like a bad boy.
Strange how miracles kinda stopped a couple of thousand years ago...did god die or something?

Great answer!

I'm not sure it's a case of blindly believing unknown people's testimonies though. It's personal experiences. Personal. Subjective.
You know what I mean?

Silent God?

All i hear is people saying they have the answers and then when i ask what those answers are, they give me their beliefs, or they get mad and run away.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I actually get that as a theological idea, so although I don't follow it, I understand it as a concept.
If I don't request friendship with a god then said god will not request me anytime soon.
It is actually a very interesting question.
...my argument to a god in such a situation would be "Why give me a questioning logical mind then ffs?"
I'd argue it out with any god over a pint and a game of pool at the pub.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I actually get that as a theological idea, so although I don't follow it, I understand it as a concept.
If I don't request friendship with a god then said god will not request me anytime soon.
It is actually a very interesting question.
...my argument to a god in such a situation would be "Why give me a questioning logical mind then ffs?"
I'd argue it out with any god over a pint and a game of pool at the pub.

Lol
He's rubbish at pool, he's more of a darts man...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Interesting interjection

Great answer!

You know what I mean?

Silent God?

All i hear is people saying they have the answers and then when i ask what those answers are, they give me their beliefs, or they get mad and run away.

But Woodcarver! You don't want those answers anyway do you!!
You are not interested!
So why exactly are you asking!

Be honest with yourself.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
a reply to: Incandescent

there's one God

Just one?

'If you go back through history, there are about 3,000 Gods to choose from.'

“Basically, you deny one less God than I do. You don’t believe in 2,999 Gods, and I don’t believe in just one more.” - Ricky Gervais

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Lmao!
I've got my own arrows, I'd offer him/her a game, loser buys the next round for sure, bring it on dart god.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
a reply to: Hammaraxx

nobody is God

How do you know this?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Interesting interjection

Great answer!

You know what I mean?

Silent God?

But Woodcarver! You don't want those answers anyway do you!!
You are not interested!
So why exactly are you asking!

Be honest with yourself.
That is what everyone keeps telling me. Usually right after i ask them?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

What good would it do to talk to someone
who trys to explain animation with a molecule?

It is lunacy.

Unless you want to try'n explain your belief
that life doesn't have to come from life? Of
course extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence.
But if you can't do that it's okay.
You can still go on believe'n what you want.
But you can't say no one can explain their belief
to you. Because it didn't matter when they tried.

edit on Rpm51018v46201800000016 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

You wrote:

"nobody is God"

AND

"there's one God"

Make up your mind. It sounds like you don't really know what you believe.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Proving atheism is similar to religious a persons who try to justify their irrational ideology, people who espouse pseudo-science often advance a rather spurious argument. They try to argue that, although they may not be able to prove the validity of their claims, neither can science disprove their claims. This argument conveniently disregards a basic axiom of logic: The burden of proof is always on the claimant. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

It is logically impossible and logically contradictory to require another person to prove that something does not exist. We can only prove that something exists; nobody can prove that something does not exist.

An analytically inclined mind will stipulate that unless something manifests itself objectively, it does not exist. It may still exist in somebody’s mind as a hallucination, or in another dimension, or in the deep sea. However, as far as human beings are concerned, if an object or event does not manifest itself in any form, manner or shape to human beings, it simply does not exist. If it does not manifest itself to human beings, it obviously has no effect on our life and we can safely disregard it. So here we have an impasse obviously, and debate for the sake of debate. Nonproductive...

Faith... the belief in something not seen or detected by the senses. Yet a powerful motivator.

Holy *#&@$# ... so you are saying the agnostics have been the correct path all along.

Marvelous

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join