It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I'm with you on that, if I was down the beach and some guy walked on the waves turning donuts into fried battered cod and chips/fries, then Slush Puppies into high strength cocktails I'd probably be convinced.

Yeh, me too!

And your operative conjunction, *if* sums it up!

IF I saw a guy in a blue suit and red cape flying in the sky I'd believe in Superman.
IF I saw hippie in sandals and dodgy beard walking on water, I'd believe in the supernatural. Or superheroes.. whichever..
IF I saw a guy in a white beard and red suit come down the chimney with presents I'd believe in Father Christmas.

Operative word: if.

Haha yes!!
I'm open to believe anything woo woo if I see something to draw me towards believing, but, and a big but, I'd want a few mates to experience it as well so I knew I wasn't having some psychotic episode or something lol

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Like I said the problem with god is that most people look for it outside the human consciousness vs it becoming quite obvious it exists inside the human mind if you compare us to other lifeforms.

But don't worry I don't ask anyone to understand what I am saying. Maybe you need to take a good trip to meet it?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: randyvs

Simply put you take a supreme being from
the equasion. And you take away the only
real existential explanation.
You seem to forget that chemistry and other natural events explain things quite well. Hence your computer and all of the medical advances we all take advantage of.

Quite well? I didn't forget anything. And now you
can describe your belief in chemistry outside a lab
In a hostile environment without a chemist in regards to existence and an explanation for consciousness.

It's like saying a magic show can go on with
out a magician. And you claim my belief to
be ridiculous? Well to me you're ridiculous.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Woodcarver

You have never explained anything. All you do is assert that you believe things.

Don't play at words like a child. I just explained
again for the whole world to read.
Why do you insist on slinging insults and then calling us childish for asking what you are talking about?

I still don’t see where you have explained why you hold on to your beliefs. Only assertions that you can believe what you want. Which is fine, but you come on here and tell people your beliefs, and when we ask why, you get mad?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

No you got it. And you just answered your own
question. Our petty knowledge isn't comparable
to all the knowledge of the universe. And it's
delusional to believe in wild accusations that
represent conclusions to ultimate questions
based solely on absence and very weak and
very limited knowledge. It's just an easy out
to say heh no evidence, doesn't exist! And
try to pass that off as the truth? That isn't
even science. It's Politics.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

There is certainly no proof of God. Most of your common religions are less than 2100 years old and written by fallible men.
We in our current human form have been around for 200000 + years and as upright pre-Humans for a few Million years.
You may as well worship the Sun or the moon like your ancestors or the Earth or the Universe.
Some of use are Good and gracious without religious control..

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Lol, you still crossing swords with Randy?!
I usually stick my oar in with him for a short while, then paddle off chuckling.

EDIT
No offence Randy, I know you passionately believe so I get it, but I'll never get it without experiencing whatever it was that gave you your passionate belief. We're cool, Your belief doesn't affect me, and my lack of belief doesn't affect you.

edit on 10-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Do you really think I'm mad Carver?
Did you catch me mad dog'n? To
understand my replys you first
have to be honest with yourself.
As if your history isn't full of
hostility n%=/* please.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I usually stick my oar in with him for a short while, then paddle off chuckling.

Two peas in a pod esse

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

EDIT
No offence Randy, I know you passionately believe so I get it, but I'll never get it without experiencing whatever it was that gave you your passionate belief. We're cool, Your belief doesn't affect me, and my lack of belief doesn't affect you.
I do it for the kids.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I starred you fella, see my edit

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

still adding to the confusion

sad really

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think you are very mad. Mad that your point of view doesn’t make any sense. Even to you. Which is why you can’t explain your beliefs.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

EDIT
I do it for the kids.

Ooh, yes, I can see that, I know some people who think indoctrination of god belief is even a form of child abuse, like a cult would do.
I explained all religions to my son, and what the various beliefs are about...he's early twenties know and doesn't believe in any of them, just as I don't. His mother believes in the Jesus/god but doesn't go to church unless it's a wedding or a funeral...people baptising their kids is rare here now, and most people only like the church wedding for the picture postcard old building setting.
Even I pretended to believe and had to attend church for a few weeks to get the prime classic English countryside church wedding setting many people want. I used to laugh with soon to be wife that we should burn in hell for bull#ting our way to a church wedding.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
Atheism is the distantiation of God. These people claim to worship nothing, so are in fact claiming to be souvereign/supreme beings, actually God himself.

What exactly to you mean by "God?" Please be specific.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I think you are very mad. Mad that your point of view doesn’t make any sense. Even to you. Which is why you can’t explain your beliefs.

Please demonstrate the non sense?
edit on Rpm51018v29201800000026 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The nonsense starts when I ask you to explain your beliefs , and then you do everything but that.

So let’s start this all over, and you can explain what your beliefs are and why you think they are rational.
edit on 10-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I believe in a supreme being.

Why?

Because it provides answers to questions that
make perfect sense in comparison to the
alternative. Where there are no answers. To not
believe that life can only come from life is
delusional.

Baby steps for you? We do'n okay so far?
edit on Rpm51018v52201800000003 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

If I may interject...

If you were to be given a detailed account of an experience that led to a belief in God, would you be genuinely interested in what was said?
Are you actually looking to understand the reasoning, or are you readying to make ridicule as your mind is already made up that the experience is nothing more than psychosis?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

Interesting interjection

I will never understand Randy's experience with whatever it was made him believe in a god, but I imagine he can understand that while I have so far never experienced such a thing in my life I remain a non-believer.
I'm cool with Randy and his faith, we just differ when it is presented as fact.
I keep an open mind, I just don't start blindly believing unknown people's testimonies.

...crap god though, I'd be an A list star on TV and social media if I was a god, I'd reel them in with miracles like back in the day, billions of followers my name trending like a bad boy.
Strange how miracles kinda stopped a couple of thousand years ago...did god die or something?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join