It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Woodcarver

Aww you sound butthurt. Did I crash your dogma?

I'm here to help, if you can stay rational for a second: what didn't you understand?

I don't think he understands he's in the Metaphysics forum...

Woodcarver! Exposing lack of reasoning everywhere!
Coming soon to a forum near you.
i’m fine with you guys ganging up on me instead of addressing the issues here. It just shows everybody else your inability to put your beliefs on the table to be scrutinized, which will lead many to realise that there is no foundation beneath your beliefs.

One second Woodcarver. I'm just popping to the Science forums to discuss Georges Bataille's book The Solar Anus and expose some lack of reasoning myself.

Be right back. ok?
Does anyone even want to discuss this?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
apatheism makes much more sense. the idea of god is irrelevant to our condition as a society and our relationship to the universe in general.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yeah I edited for clarification. If you read the whole thread, there's more. I see no reason why I should repeat myself endlessly just because you're ignorant.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

a reply to: Woodcarver

Aww you sound butthurt. Did I crash your dogma?

I'm here to help, if you can stay rational for a second: what didn't you understand?

I don't think he understands he's in the Metaphysics forum...

Woodcarver! Exposing lack of reasoning everywhere!
Coming soon to a forum near you.
i’m fine with you guys ganging up on me instead of addressing the issues here. It just shows everybody else your inability to put your beliefs on the table to be scrutinized, which will lead many to realise that there is no foundation beneath your beliefs.

I'm back!

My beliefs?
My beliefs are completely irrelevant to the issue here. The issue is that you claim that you want to know why people believe in God, yes?

Now, may I draw your attention to two questions I posed to you a few posts up that you willfully chose to ignore?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Anecdotal evidence isn't definitive proof either. In fact, it is the flimsiest type of evidence you can collect since your brain tends to lie to you on top of your biases tainting your memories.
edit on 11-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Like I said there's more, look back at my posts.
For your convenience

It's actually kind of funny I almost said the same thing as you just did

a reply to: randyvs

Because your experience and my experience become truth

where they overlap. There's a lot of empty meaningless space left which is simply your brain filling in blanks which are part of your experience but not truth.

edit on 11-5-2018 by Peeple because: Add

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Stating your personal opinion isn't definitive proof of existence.

Hold up a sec?
When did this turn into wanting definitive proof of the existence of God??
The issue here was wanting to know WHY people believe in God.

Move the goal posts much? Very scientific!

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Great. You see what I mean. The point is that until you can prove that consciousness can exist outside of the brain then there is no point in believing it is true.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

You hold up a sec. I was responding specifically to someone declaring that they proved that god, angels and demons exist in relation to consciousness existing outside the brain. I wasn't even addressing you. And frankly, the topic of the conversation is supposed to be about atheism, so the goal posts have already been thoroughly readjusted before I reentered the thread.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No sure. Each to their own. My intention is not to convince anybody. I was asked for logical reasoning. I provided.
Don't know why it bothers you so much?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Who said it bothers me? This is a discussion forum is it not? Are we not here to discuss things?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

What do you want to discuss? I mean specifically?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

You hold up a sec. I was responding specifically to someone declaring that they proved that god, angels and demons exist in relation to consciousness existing outside the brain. I wasn't even addressing you. And frankly, the topic of the conversation is supposed to be about atheism, so the goal posts have already been thoroughly readjusted before I reentered the thread.

My apologies.
My perception in that moment made me believe otherwise.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Lol at everyone still slugging it out here, it is impossible to verify the existence of any deities so many people (including myself) do not believe the claims. How any theist can argue with that rational position I have no idea.
I say believe what you like, and brainwash your kids if you like, but don't pass faith of as anything remotely close to being verified.
I was honest with my child "There is no verifiable evidence to support any claims of gods, dragons, ghosts, monsters or other woo" He doesn't believe any of the claims either. Children are all atheist until someone teaches them to believe old stories.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Stating your personal opinion isn't definitive proof of existence.

Hold up a sec?
When did this turn into wanting definitive proof of the existence of God??
The issue here was wanting to know WHY people believe in God.

Move the goal posts much? Very scientific!

as a matter of fact, the initial contention was that atheism is presumptuous and conceited. followed by discussion.

is it safe to assume that you clicked the thread because you were interested in sharing why you believe in god? perhaps.

is it safe to assume that definitive proof of god is no longer relevant based on your specific interest? probably not.

is it safe to assume that definitive proof of any kind would make even a little difference in the debate?

...lets just say its okay to dream.
edit on 11-5-2018 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Lol at everyone still slugging it out here, it is impossible to verify the existence of any deities so many people (including myself) do not believe the claims. How any theist can argue with that rational position I have no idea.
I say believe what you like, and brainwash your kids if you like, but don't pass faith of as anything remotely close to being verified.
I was honest with my child "There is no verifiable evidence to support any claims of gods, dragons, ghosts, monsters or other woo" He doesn't believe any of the claims either. Children are all atheist until someone teaches them to believe old stories.

Or if they experience something.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Lol, do you know any kids who came home from kindergarden saying "God spoke to me today mom, I am now a believer"?
I'll call god a prick then because he didn't give any loving experience to my son who was unfortunate enough to be born to an atheist dad.
I say bollocks, and every child that believes in any god only does so because human adults have taught them to.
All children are atheists until they get brainwashed, you know it, everyone knows it, but it doesn't fit your lame 'experience' narrative, it's okay, I understand why the truth troubles you, it indicates that 'god' belief is a purely human social construction.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

if they experience something and just jump to conclusions, you mean.

that is why the scientific method was invented so we can recreate events and verify or refute causality between factors and outcomes. its called doing your homework.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You know the saying right? You can lead a horse to the water you can't make it drink.

I would add "you don't want to learn you have to burn", but I'm krass. Just drop it.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Lol, do you know any kids who came home from kindergarden saying "God spoke to me today mom, I am now a believer"?
I'll call god a prick then because he didn't give any loving experience to my son who was unfortunate enough to be born to an atheist dad.
I say bollocks, and every child that believes in any god only does so because human adults have taught them to.
All children are atheists until they get brainwashed, you know it, everyone knows it, but it doesn't fit your lame 'experience' narrative, it's okay, I understand why the truth troubles you, it indicates that 'god' belief is a purely human social construction.

YES!

However, some adults experience an "Energy Euphoria" because they get involved in religion and misinterpret it as a "God experience".

You can get the same "Energy Euphoria" at a sports event. Where everyone is focusing their energy toward the same purpose.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join