It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: One Step Closer to the 6 Million Dollar Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Scientists have successfully tested an artificial limb that is controlled by the mind of a monkey.
Note, there was no harm done to the patient.
They are now just testing with a limb that only has a 2 prong "hand" but are looking into expanding this to something close to the normal hand.
They think that they may have this ready for human testing in 2 years.

www.msnbc.msn.com
By Michael Schirber
Updated: 10:29 a.m. ET Feb. 18, 2005
Robotic arms used by amputees are typically controlled by moving some other part of the body, like the opposite arm. Researchers would like to make such prostheses respond to the whim of the brain.
Now it turns out researchers have found a method so easy (well, relatively so) that a monkey can do it.

In a new study, a monkey fed itself using a robotic arm electronically linked to its brain. The work was presented here Thursday at the annual meeting of the American Association of the Advancement of Science.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We may not actually have the "6 Million Dollar Man" as in the TV series, but this will be a great step in improving the lives of amputees.
Add this to the recent (sorry, searched for links but came up empty) of simple computers being controlled by thought, will go along way in increasing the quality of life for them.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by kenshiro2012]

[edit on 18-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
About time with the advancements we are making in Robotics. Looking at modern Artificial Limbs limbs they seem rather arcane.

I mean we can give a robot like ASIMO as better human hand then we give a human.

I really hope some day we can have something like "Lukes" robotic hand in Star Wars for these people.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I really hope some day we can have something like "Lukes" robotic hand in Star Wars for these people.

Whatya "those people" - I would get it done myself if they could connect the nerves up properly, hell I would replace my whole body if they could do it right.

At least machines can't get cancer...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
this will obviously present some interesting moral issues. for instance, what will stop us from incorporating this into biomechanical soldiers? essentially, elite, extremely strong, high endurance, feeling no pain, kings of the battlefield. what about creating vehicles with animals trained to operate them, sorta like r2d2? or what about a cloned brain that is only incorporated into a vehicle and never has a body? i think that this could be the most frightening advancement of humanity since the nuke.
daved

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Good thought there Dasher
Remeber the old argument that Asimov presented in I Robot, book not movie, the argument during the court hearing. They were trying to prove the robot was alive. The lawyer presented an argument that went something like this.
There are many people alive today who have artificial limbs, artificial hearts and so on. Are they still human? Are they still alive? They are no longer totally human. At what percentage does a person lose their "humanity"?
10, 25, 50, 95 percent? The answer came back that even at 100% a person was still considered alive and human.
The next step in the lawyer's argument, was if a person who is now 100% artificial can still be considered a person, alive, and aware then by that definition, a robot that is aware of itself should be considered alive.
Mr. Asimov, please forgive me for not quoting you fully.

We may be getting closer to where there will have to be a legal argument presented in our courts today as we are getting closer and closer to making thought controlled limbs a reaility. Not to mention cloning etc.
We will also have to have this point examined and determined by our various religions.
I know I am opening a can of worms here.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokinjoe

Whatya "those people" - I would get it done myself if they could connect the nerves up properly, hell I would replace my whole body if they could do it right.

At least machines can't get cancer...

Thats when you will know you created a great artificial limb when people want to get them even when they dont need them.

I mean our bodies work with electrical signals so it must be possible to hook them up or convert that signal to run a machine. I really dont see any reason why it cant be done.

It will be a hard and complex task for sure but stuff like in this article is the first steps.

new topics

top topics

join