It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Senate has forced a vote to restore net neutrality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm guessing this isn't much of a surprise but I didn't see this up anywhere so I thought i'd post it. I know a lot of people here are happy America got rid of net neutrality but I personally hope America comes to it's senses with this.

www.theverge.com...

Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA) and 32 other Democrats have submitted a new discharge petition under the Congressional Review Act, setting the stage for a full congressional vote to restore net neutrality. Because of the unique CRA process, the petition has the power to force a Senate vote on the resolution, which leaders say is expected next week.

The Congressional Review Act allows Congress to roll back regulations within 60 legislative days of introduction, a process that today’s resolution would apply to the internet rules introduced by FCC chairman Ajit Pai in December. Pai’s rules reversed the 2015 Open Internet Order, which had explicitly banned blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization by internet providers. To successfully undo the Pai order and restore the 2015 rules, today’s resolution would need a bare majority in both the Senate and the House, as well as the president’s signature.

edit on 9/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Giving government control of the internet.

Yeah, nothing bad will happen.

Just like the FBI and IRS are impartial and non partisan.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Giving government control of the internet.

Yeah, nothing bad will happen.

Just like the FBI and IRS are impartial and non partisan.

Ya I'm not gonna bother discussing this on here. From what I can tell most people on here barely understand how a computer works let alone the internet and it's infrastructure. I'm posting that story, my thoughts and that's all...

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Fair enough.

I'm just imagining the Trump administration overseeing the internet and laughing.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Are you for or against net neutrality?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I don't think you understand the issue. With net neutrality, the government has laws to keep the free-market free. By removing net neutrality laws the corporations can build a cartel and charge whatever they want. This video explains it quite well:

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The only internet you've ever known has been neutral, where have your complaints been for all these years? It seems that only when Trump's administration started to want to repeal neutrality did all the keyboard warriors start speaking out against it.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Against.

"Net neutrality is the principle that governments should mandate Internet service providers to treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication. For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content."

-Wiki

Because the government is NOT impartial, I get nervous when the government mandates ANYTHING, and government does NOT treat all information the same.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Good.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

If you think NN is government control of the Internet then I have a bridge to sell ya.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

What is wrong with treating all data the same? The government is not doing anything. It is preventing companies from legalizing highway speeds. As a consumer of bandwidth, if I'm paying for one megabit per second, I don't want Verizon to decide who gets to feed my pipe faster. Just give me effing data no matter where it is coming from.

You are only against net neutrality because Fox News is against it. Stop being thought zombie and think for yourself for a change.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

My thoughts exactly!

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The government is NOT controlling anything. It is keeping the free market free by having a law preventing discrimination.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The only internet you've ever known has been neutral, where have your complaints been for all these years? It seems that only when Trump's administration started to want to repeal neutrality did all the keyboard warriors start speaking out against it.

If net neutrality does go away someone will just come out with a net neutral Internet and everyone will migrate to it.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Did you even read the definition you posted? It sounds like you want ISP's to be able to discriminate against certain users or websites and either block them or slow them down behind a pay wall.

You're asking for a slower, more expensive internet.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
think Youtube and Twitter will roll back the censoring if this goes through?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
For the record I am against it .

If I'm wrong then I will apologise, if I'm right?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If net neutrality does go away someone will just come out with a net neutral Internet and everyone will migrate to it.

That someone has to be an ISP providing fibre-optic cable or high-speed wi-fi going to every home. The present telco's and cable companies are presently granted a franchise monpoly in each area. Even if a majority of the local taxpayers vote to set up a community wi-fi network, these incumbents file court orders claiming that it is anti-competitive, Communism by the back door and just about everything else. They even remove copper telephone lines when someone switches over to fibre-optic. Not even Google was able to achieve this goal, even when they have their own national and international long distance backbones and peering.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

being that it is a natural monopoly essentially that these very small amount of companies have this needs to be regulated

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Fair enough.

I'm just imagining the Trump administration overseeing the internet and laughing.

Trump wants to dismantle the MSM, next would be the web, just like in China.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join