It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump threatens to 'take away media's credentials' over negative news stories about him

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its called "consequences",a nd it keeps people honest in most fields.

Or we could keep doing what we've done thus far. Its worked so well.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If a doctor is prescribing snake oil to you to heal you instead of the proper medication that he knows will heal you... Wouldn't you take away his license?

All he's really doing is taking away the "this is truth" label. So they go from being a supposed honest "NEWS" source to being a Star or Onion type source. I don't know about you, I like to know when news is real so I really know what's going on. I'll stick to The Onion for laughs all other times, thank you.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Trump doesn't have the power to yank licenses from a corporate business authorized by the FCC.

He can't even get Crooked Hillary indited like he promised.

www.reuters.com...

As we say in Texas....all hat, no cattle.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Its called "consequences",a nd it keeps people honest in most fields.

Or we could keep doing what we've done thus far. Its worked so well.

I certainly agree that the press has failed, there need to be consequences and an independent regulatory body/ethical framework that journalists must abide by. Many prominent journalists have been calling for such a body to enshrine an ethical obligation to produce 'x amount' of good, hard news with caps on gutter press/gossip/shock-horror-sex-scandal-stories.

However no government should be given the authority to censor and dictate what the Press can or can't write about or revoke the constitutional duty of the press to stonewall any questioning, dissection and counter arguments to government PR. It always leads to the collapse of democracy as it ends up being abused and turned into oligarchy.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, I suppose. We just happened to be on the same tangent.

I'll let you go fight the fight...never want to be a copy cat.

Sorry for the duality. Just a coincidence.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Shame you're such a caustic fellow toward me because I rather like(d) you, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Best to you.

ETA...your point is clear, you have nothing but contempt for me and what I stand for, to the point we could never discuss matters civilly. Fair well. Again, best to you.

edit on 5/10/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I hope they at least ban Jim Acosta from spoiling anymore easter egg hunts.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Curb stomp one of them and bomb Brussels.

Should shut some idiots up.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Do you think that media reports what is true? Or what will draw views? Their motivation tells me all i need to know about the support ill give them.

I'm unsure why i should care what they say. Especially when it cant be supported with truth.

They report on what will draw news as the primary concern is money. Most newsdesk staff are unpaid interns with no idea what they're doing and the vast majority of content is rewrites of press releases/advertorials and astroturfing.

It's true that studies have shown the media is so distorted that control groups who've read no news for six months have a far more accurate picture of reality than those exposed to it. However hidden between the lines of these stories are the biases which reveal the greater agenda of the proprietors and lobbyists who are trying to subvert democracy by buying votes, manipulating public opinion and character assassinations to bring elected representatives into fold or have them outsted/position untenable. When producing a paper in the newsroom, the first thing that goes on the pages are ad edverts, all content is secondary (I once used this to sneak my write up of a police raid on a brothel right next to an advert for the said brothel past my editor and onto print in a local rag to take the piss).

Personally if I want to read news I read it straight from newswires like AP or Reuters. If I wan't to find out who's trying to manipulate who, what's going on behind the scenes and catch some insight into what the people who hold far more control and access over politicians than thice public could ever dream of are up to I read and analyse newspapers.

I'm not explaining it very well so as a cop out there's a fantastic lecture/video on the importance/benefits of reading 'Flat Earth News', how dissect and utilize 'fake' or biased news to your gain: 'Flat Earth News Nick Davies talked about his book Flat Earth News, published by Random House, in which the award-winning reporter describes falsehood, distortion and propaganda in the global media. With the help of researchers from Cardiff University, who ran an analysis of the contents and sources for the daily news, Mr. Davies found most reporters most of the time are not allowed to dig up stories or check their facts. The other panelists both supported and opposed Mr. Davies' views and discussed the influence of foreign media on global issues. After their presentations the panelists responded to audience members' questions.'

www.c-span.org.../flat-earth-news

They can be hoisted by their own petard and revealytheir hidden hand with that approach. Highly recommend it to anyone who can find the time.
---

Trump has a good record of outplaying the media. While I'm not a fan of his style, since day one hes controlled the media narrative. He campaigned on headline grabbing statements and used his knowledge of how markets and the internal function of newsdesks to provide wall to wall coverage of every campaign announcement and manifesto commitments. The Dems campaign provided no clear ideas, message or policy and he reduced them to relying on 'dont vote for me because I'm not him' being the sole 'offer' to the public.

Odd as it sounds getting negative press coverage is beneficial to him; the only profession the public see as less trustworthy than journalism is politics and he campaigned and won on the message he's not a politician and talks straight. Though the US Press has failed the US Public in it's duty since the 1950s and is in desperate need of some kind of reform, code of ethics, basic standards of reporting and control over how proprietors abuse their influence and neglect their duty.

He used them as a fish to get elected, he knows how markets and the media work. In his campaign clickbait online articles were the dominant revenue stream for media.

A proprietor isn't going to hire staff or spending tens of thousands to millions to send people out in the field to do real stories when they can fill several pages a day getting unpaid intern, Phillipa Column, to scroll through twitter and gain more clicks.

edit on 10-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
actaully, he didnt say take them away because of negative reporting

he said

Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?

they are corrupt

and no one can argue that theyve been lying constantly about all things related to this administration

Goebbels would be proud

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

they are corrupt

and no one can argue that theyve been lying constantly about all things related to this administration

The media embellish everything and have done through previous administrations, this is nothing new so what makes this administration so special ?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
He's bridling fake news, so what?

Didn't Obama legalize it?
edit on 11-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So because past administrations did nothing about corruption no one ever should? Good argument.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Erich94

I fail to understand how poising the question to take away press credentials from places that are constantly spewing fake news *cough* CNN and about 85% of the stories they have ran since 2016 *cough* could be a bad thing

Yeah, that the problem.
He can't do this. Anyone who even wants to entertain the idea is hopelessly lost.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Rope sounds good. I have a better idea for its use though.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Erich94

I fail to understand how poising the question to take away press credentials from places that are constantly spewing fake news *cough* CNN and about 85% of the stories they have ran since 2016 *cough* could be a bad thing

Yeah, that the problem.
He can't do this. Anyone who even wants to entertain the idea is hopelessly lost.

Just curious but why can't he? Are you saying reporters MUST be let in? If that is true then why do they have to get credentials to begin with?

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Every time I watch yall argue about free speech I always get this weird feeling like it's empty and hollow and vain...

I also can't help but think we've all gone insane.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I am with him news organizations should report the news in a unbiased manner instead since before the election 90 percent of main news organizations have been totally anti Trump. Trump could make a cure for death and most of the media would post greedy Trump makes a drug that will destroy planet thru overpopulation. 2 things need to happen acc needs to step in and remind the news agencies of what they are supposed to be about and 2 the news monopoly needs to go same way as ma bell and be broken up.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So would you right wingers be ok with the next liberal President shutting down Fox, Rush, Savage, Alex Jones, and ATS now that it has gone all Trump.

didn't think so....
edit on 11-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So would you right wingers be ok with the next liberal President shutting down Fox, Rush, Savage, Alex Jones, and ATS now that it has gone all Trump.

didn't think so....

Awesome job not being able to comprehend at all what Trump said but being outraged anyways because .. Trump.

Here is a hint, Trump never stated or even alluded to shutting down any news station or personality. Go read about what he actually said and we can have a conversation.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join