It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased Chance Of More MAJOR Eruptions From Hawaii’s Kilauea Volcano...May 9, 2018

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I just read on Reuters, that the U.S. Geological Survey said that "explosive eruptions" could propel rocks and ash for "miles" in the coming weeks.

There is a growing chance of explosive eruptions of Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano in coming weeks that could shoot rocks for miles and cause ashfall for dozens of miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Wednesday.

www.yahoo.com...

Hawaii has had 85 earthquakes in the past 24 hours, for a total of 1186 earthquakes, in the past 7 days. Most of these earthquakes are between 1.5 and 3.0 magnitude, but this still, must be very unsettling for Hawaii's residents, who are also coping with dangerous levels of sulfur dioxide.

Hawaii, Hawaii has had: (M1.5 or greater) 85 earthquakes in the past 24 hours 1,186 earthquakes in the past 7 days 1,768 earthquakes in the past 30 days 3,544 earthquakes in the past 365 days

www.earthquaketrack.com...

I didn't realize that the Kilauea Volcano is "the most lethal volcano in the U.S."

"Kilauea has had long periods of explosive activity in the past, much longer than we had previously realized," he said. "Some of those explosions during those periods can be very deadly." Even more deadly than the explosion at Mount St. Helens in 1980 that killed 57 and destroyed 150 square miles of forest. An explosive eruption at Kilauea in 1924 killed one person. But in 1790, another killed 200. "We know that it's the most lethal volcano in the U.S.," University of Hawaii Geology professor Michael Garcia said.

www.hawaiinewsnow.com...

Thoughts and prayers for those affected by this volcanic eruption in Hawaii.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well they cannot say they where not warned by now. .

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I didn't realize that the Kilauea Volcano is "the most lethal volcano in the U.S."
Garcia seems to be using a bit of hyperbole. It's likely that there are more lethal volcanoes on the mainland, it's just that there aren't historical records.

That 1790 eruption occurred at an inopportune time for an army marching home after a battle with Kamehameha. They were near the caldera when it blew. They got caught by ash and gas from the eruption. Obviously Pele favored Kamehameha.

edit on 5/9/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I was reading at a Volcano Blog that there could be phreatic eruptions if the lava manages to interact with groundwater.

Perhaps it's now in danger of doing so and this is what they're referring to?

No major changes. The lava pond in Kilauea is now reported as 220 meters down, and may still be dropping. The most recent images suggest it is still going down. Below 400 meters there would be a risk of ground water getting into the hole with phreatic consequences, but so far there is no indication things will get that far.

Here it is.
edit on 9-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I know what's happening is devastating neighbourhoods and communities, but seeing some of the footage from Hawaii it's looks crazy. Usually when people think volcano you expect a large mountain spouting out lava at the top but seeing all the cracks and lava coming out in random places is insane some videos and photos I've seen have amazed me

It almost looks like a flood but with lava .. scary
edit on 9-5-2018 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

For example this video. Guy comes home to this, like having a water feature in your back yard but .. hotter

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The earth is angry. The only way I know this has ever been dealt with in the past was to throw few virgins into the volcano.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Pele is not into virgins.
She likes gin though.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I saw a video that made it look like tge entire island was breaking up

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I saw a video of an asteroid destroying the Earth.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Scary stuff!

"Unfortunately when Mother Nature gets mean, there's nothing that can be done."
-Kurt Pickering

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Grow up dude

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I saw a video that made it look like tge entire island was breaking up

That's definitely not happening.

Besides the vog, so far this has only impacted a very small area of a very large landmass.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Grow up dude

Good, healthy sarcasm....

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

start at 50 it's like it's splitting the island in half

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

a reply to: VariableConstant

start at 50 it's like it's splitting the island in half

I'm on the island, man. It's not splitting in half.

Here, look at this, it will help you:

m.imgur.com...
edit on 9-5-2018 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You are looking at part of a residential subdivision on an island that is larger than all the rest of the Hawaiian islands combined.

It's not called "The Big Island" for nothing.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
I know what's happening is devastating neighbourhoods and communities, but seeing some of the footage from Hawaii it's looks crazy. Usually when people think volcano you expect a large mountain spouting out lava at the top but seeing all the cracks and lava coming out in random places is insane some videos and photos I've seen have amazed me

It almost looks like a flood but with lava .. scary

The bottom of the magma chamber inside the volcano collapsed. So that high-density rock has filled in the space where magma would normally be. As a result, the magma has been displaced 10 miles underground. So now all that trapped sulphur dixoide gas it is trying to escape and is forming all these cracks and crevices in the ground. Maybe a new volcano will form.

It makes me wonder whether all these problems with jet engine turbine blades suffering sulphase corrosion haven't been caused by escaping sulphur dioxide gases being transported by the jet stream.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

The bottom of the magma chamber inside the volcano collapsed. So that high-density rock has filled in the space where magma would normally be. As a result, the magma has been displaced 10 miles underground.

No.
Magma which had collected beneath the caldera was diverted to the east rift (the cause is not known). This caused the floors of the crater and Pu`u O`o to collapse. The movement of the magma, the deflation of the summit, and the inflation of the east rift had been tracked for a week before the eruption. The magma is quite near the surface. That is why it is erupting in Leilani Estates.

Maybe a new volcano will form.
No. But there already is a "new" volcano. It's called Loihi.

It makes me wonder whether all these problems with jet engine turbine blades suffering sulphase corrosion haven't been caused by escaping sulphur dioxide gases being transported by the jet stream.
The volcano has been erupting for more than 30 years. The sulfur dioxide is not reaching the altitude of jet stream. There is no jet stream over Hawaii.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You are looking at part of a residential subdivision on an island that is larger than all the rest of the Hawaiian islands combined.

It's not called "The Big Island" for nothing.

If things somehow go directly south, It may be known as that island formerly known as 'big'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join