It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Becomes First State to Mandate Solar on New Homes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
a reply to: howtonhawky
Ignorance....Priceless!!!

I will send you a bill..
nothing is free

perhaps you should design your indoor pv system that does not get wet

edit on 9-5-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DBCowboy

Solar panels are not the same thing as uhh, walls or foundations.
Right. Neither is insulation. It's been required for a while now.

Electrical work isn't structural. No code needed? Plumbing? Ok to use lead paint if you want to?

:

You fatty fat fat fingered it there chief.

Tbh, i dont think this is necessarily the way to go about fighting the evil oil empire (which a lot of people here are unknowingly shilling for lol).

Probably from watching tv, brainwashing frequencies and subliminal messages like "protect your oil you maggot!"

edit on 592018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

You fatty fat fat fingered it there chief.

Tbh, i dont think this is necessarily the way to go about fighting the evil oil empire (which a lot of people here are unknowingly shilling for lol).

Probably from watching tv, brainwashing frequencies and subliminal messages lkke "protect your oil!"

I have oil is good no idea oil is good what you're oil is good talking about!

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Must. Kill. Snoopy...

😂😂😂

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Electrical work isn't structural. No code needed? Plumbing? Ok to use lead paint if you want to?

:

Colon malfunction, again?

Two words: Metamucil

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
With each installed a monitor so they can spy on you all the time.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Does this mean that California is now all in for Trump's idea to put solar panels on the border wall with Mexico?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: katsung47
With each installed a monitor so they can spy on you all the time.

I have never understood why they want to spy on the sun so much.

for the record they no longer need any additional devices to spy on us.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

California became the first U.S. state on Wednesday to require solar panels on almost all new homes, sending the clearest signal yet that rooftop power is moving beyond a niche market and becoming the norm.

Right!!!

I'm not against Solar power but the reality of what they are doing is more like forcing a niche market to become the norm,lol.

Most new homes built after Jan. 1, 2020, will be required to include solar systems as part of energy-efficiency standards adopted Wednesday by the California Energy Commission. While that’s a boost for the solar industry, critics warned that it will also drive up the cost of buying a house by almost $10,000.

linky

Interesting none the less and wondering how the power Corps will lobby and bastardize this towards their favor? I'm assuming once the power customers start providing power to the grid versus consuming, they won't be compensated for it and the Power company will resell it . Not necessarily a bad thing if that concept was allowed to be used as a SAFE mesh type electrical network directly between the consumers with a reduced role and cost of the power company in the middle.

Personally I'm a big fan of homes being able to generate their own power. I think that's a great idea. I dunno if forcing solar panels is the way to do it though. There are a lot of different mini turbines and small home power generation systems being developed. Forcing one may stop progress in these others. Solar panels are also expensive and kinda wasteful to produce, a lot of other options are less so.

I'm also not sure how I feel about power being returned to the grid. That's what happens here. If you produce excess power it gets returned to the grid then you're given credit to buy electricity. I think that's kind of a stupid system myself.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

C'mon, Phage. You are being pedantic and intentionally missing his point. Shame on you. I have no problem with building codes for structure OR plumbing OR electrical OR insulation OR any number of points in building codes that make sense, especially necessary things like above and a whole lot more.

But Solar is strictly political and you know it.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: interupt42

People love to make fun of California. Yet they provide about 14 percent of the United states GDP.

So what? What does GDP have to do with the obvious control and political issues California has? Apples n oranges. California's wealth means a whole lot of people can't afford to live there and many millions who do have a very crappy quality of life.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

But Solar is strictly political and you know it.

It is for the purpose of energy conservation. As is insulation.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Just duck tape one of those solar calculators on your roof, the dollar ones from dollar stores.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's interesting since some states power companies have used shady tactics to outlaw solar panels unless you pay through the nose to have them install it.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

What do you mean, "now?" The state has been dictating what you can or can't do with your house since there was such thing as "the state." Or don't you have building codes where you live?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly. Builders will be able to afford it.
I'm waiting to see how they monetize it for the long run.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

What do you mean, "now?" The state has been dictating what you can or can't do with your house since there was such thing as "the state." Or don't you have building codes where you live?

So optional items like solar panels are mandated now.

Like I said, it's Obamacare for houses.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Everything is "optional" until it gets mandated lol. Where I live, homeowners are mandated to have pest control services. That used to be optional, but now it's mandated.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Apparently it saves about $650 a year, so about 14 years to pay for itself.

I would like to see how they came up with those numbers. Does that assume that the system will not require any replacement parts ,100% productivity, maintenance, or failures over that 14 year span?

I personally would love to get Solar and other alternative energy sources and be energy independent. However, the ROI doesn't appear to be there just yet.

14 years is a long time for an average home owner, If they got it down to a 5 yr period that would be more reasonable IMO.

edit on 25531America/ChicagoThu, 10 May 2018 08:25:16 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I'm also not sure how I feel about power being returned to the grid. That's what happens here. If you produce excess power it gets returned to the grid then you're given credit to buy electricity. I think that's kind of a stupid system myself.

I don't know? I think a distributed mesh type system might not be a bad thing across a community, as long as there are redundant safety measures.

However, what I see here is the consumer will not be getting any credit down the road.

Instead I see the consumer paying the upfront fee for the hardware and maintenance and the power company using the labor and investment of the consumers fruits to sell it to others ,without paying for the excess electricity being put back into the grid.

I would be ok with the power company getting to utilize that excess electricity for maintaining the grid, but we know how it always ends with greed based on survival and corporations at the helm.

edit on 05531America/ChicagoThu, 10 May 2018 09:05:01 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join