It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Was Not America's "Word"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on May, 9 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There's a new piss and moan in town this morning. It's the "OMG, Trump shows the world that America's promises are meaningless." I've seen it referenced by excitable lads here on ATS, I've seen it spouted by a few excitable idiots on the news, and I've seen it in online commentary pieces such as the following:
www.nytimes.com...
time.com...
www.bostonglobe.com...

The position and posturing aren't logical, they're simply part of the death rattle of the Obama cult's last gasps. I'm starting to realize that while these same asshats cajole Trump's "America First" policies, they have been sitting on a policy of "Obama first." In their mind, Obama was the ultimate representation of America and Americans and his word was the only thing that mattered.

Sorry, brainwashed masses, but there's no legality behind that position and, in fact, the laws of the United States actually were written specifically to ensure that would never happen.

constitutioncenter.org...

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur

If Obama had not gone rogue and had actually followed protocol and laws (granted, not the man's strong suit), then the Senate's concerns would have been addressed and we'd have seen an honest to God legal treaty, ratified by lawmakers and binding! Imagine this, failing to follow the law and failure to follow the protocols and authority matrix specified by the codes of the United States risk serious consequences!!! Who knew? Had Obama actually done his job as a president rather than as a glorified community organizer in Chief, operating at a pay grade astronomically above his skill levels, we'd not be in this situation now. President Trump would not have had any reason to right this ship back onto waters within the legal framework of authority granted to presidents because that ship wouldn't have strayed from those waters in the first place.

As for "OMG, the world can't trust America's word!!!" STFU. This is exactly why the authority matrix exists in codified US law. The President of the United States is not a lone sword light reflecting this country's word and commitments, although the ass sure acted like he was exactly that for his final 6 years, his world of make believe doesn't make it so. This is why we have multiple branches of government and why we have such things as vetoes and ratification processes. A POTUS can negotiate a treaty, but a POTUS cannot sign this country into any commitments without direct oversight, consultation, and approval of the United States Senate. Trump didn't break America's word yesterday, get over yourself John Forbes Kerry... Go throw some ketchup on your butt ugly wife and grab some French Fries, you no longer work here... Trump brought to heel a man who had overstepped his authority and overthrew his coverage. Yes, Obama's face is likely a bit red, his cheeks stinging today, too damn bad, this is a lot bigger than Obama's massive ego.

It is laughably ironic that the same crowd who has perched themselves on a pedestal of #notmypresident, with such gems as
thetylt.com...

Many have rejected President Trump and don't believe he represents America.

would have the stones to claim that the Unconstitutional, entirely one-man-show "commitments" of the past president should be honored as "America's word" is at stake otherwise. No, no individual president may commit America to anything. This is the Catch 22 here, really. The President, as an individual leader, has a single commitment: a commitment to the US Constitution and her laws. Obama broke that promise to the Constitution, Trump just identified that fact and returned the nation to the track of law where this Iran situation is concerned. The sanctions were violated by Obama, unlawfully and only went unchecked while he was in office because he found 34 partisan lickspittles in the Senate who would ensure the Senate lacked a 2/3rds majority for an unblockable, unveto-able resolution that would restore the sanctions and deny the deal. That's not how things were supposed to be, and Obama knew that...

+29 more 
posted on May, 9 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Trump will not leave Iranian Patriots to die in the streets.

Obama led those young people to their slaughter.

Another Obama mistake Trump will fix...

+25 more 
posted on May, 9 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Obama was a miserable President who followed another miserable President. Sixteen years of horrible Presidents that almost destroyed America. One can only hope that their legacies will be completely destroyed.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Obama was far from perfect, but let's not pretend that Trump is better. He's just a different kind of Jerk.

All I'm saying is Hate Obama all you want, I'm fine with that, but don't pretend that Trump is the greatest president that we ever had.

Let me just say that America was already great too. How do you make something great again that was already great?

Sure America has problems, but over all...pretty great country. If we could only get rid of the democrats and republicans in congress we'd be even better.

Oh and let's stop with Obama destroyed America crap or the last several presidents almost destroyed america. I've been alive for decades, have a family a business, kids in school, own a house...and...America was never almost destroyed. not even close. I have just as many rights as I did when I got out of high school. LOL Trump isn't going to destroy us either or take away all our rights. Relax.
edit on 9-5-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on May, 9 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I think you missed the point. He is not saying trump is the greatest...rather he said that trump is not fouling the "word" of our country because the last jackass didn't bother to follow the law and therefore none of his deals were binding or legit...from a legal standpoint. Maybe other countries should not make deals when the laws of that country preclude a deal from being legal without following proper protocol.

Where you get the idea OP said trump was the greatest idk...I think its more you just wanting to make sure we all know you don't like trump, which I hope made you feel better.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I think you missed the point. He is not saying trump is the greatest...rather he said that trump is not fouling the "word" of our country because the last jackass didn't bother to follow the law and therefore none of his deals were binding or legit...from a legal standpoint. Maybe other countries should not make deals when the laws of that country preclude a deal from being legal without following proper protocol.

Where you get the idea OP said trump was the greatest idk...I think its more you just wanting to make sure we all know you don't like trump, which I hope made you feel better.

Just because you don't like Obama doesn't mean all of his deals were bad. He was average , like most presidents. Some good, some bad.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Obama's legacy being squeezed and squeezed hard.

😎🔐

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Obama was a miserable President who followed another miserable President. Sixteen years of horrible Presidents that almost destroyed America. One can only hope that their legacies will be completely destroyed.

It's probably going to take another 16 years to wash the Trump stink off your country.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

America's promises and treatys have always been meaningless..... just ask the native Americans
edit on 9-5-2018 by Unflushable because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with the deal being good or bad...that is subjective and will vary based on who you talk to...but being legal and binding is pretty black and white. When a president makes a deal or starts/changes policy it should be done according to the rules governing such things laid out in our fine constitution...not doing so kinda by definition makes him a pretty horrible president...even if your opinion is positive on what he did.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Just because you don't like Obama doesn't mean all of his deals were bad. He was average , like most presidents. Some good, some bad.

Again, that's not the point.

Good deal, bad deal ... either way, it's not a legal deal, so to pull out of it is not reneging on our country's word because the country never gave its word. Obama was the only one who did.

It's like saying that if the contract has to be signed in order to be binding and no one signs, a bunch of people are getting their kickers in a twist because Jorge over there is saying that someone said it would be signed and started acting like it was and then everyone stopped.
edit on 9-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You're completely missing my point here, man. No POTUS has the legal authority to solo any commitment or promise by the USA, period. It is Unconstitutional and we are seeing what happens when one does so right now. Trump is taking grief over actually following the law. Obama did not have the authority to overrule the Congressionally applied sanctions on Iran, he did so illegally and all Trump has done here is return to legality. He did the exact same thing with DACA and with Paris. How fascinating to see people portray him as the jackass on topics where he is simply following the letter of the law as he swore to do when he took the oath of office.

I've never said Trump is the greatest POTUS ever. Personally, I don't see how any POTUS will exceed George Washington, Thmas Jefferson, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Truman, or Reagan. That said, I think the man is the best for the job today.

Being honest, I'd struggle to come up with any good Obama policies, but I can name quite a few Trump actions and policies I fully celebrate.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Again, that's not the point.

Good deal, bad deal ... either way, it's not a legal deal, so to pull out of it is not reneging on our country's word because the country never gave its word. Obama was the only one who did.

Sure.

The USA has every right to withdraw.

Let them.

I just don't want the USA to expect and force the other country's to withdraw from that treaty as well.

The USA should go it alone if it's so "great"...... well alone with your Isreali friends that will stab you in the back the first chance they get.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

well they won't, so you can wipe the spittle off your chin while imagining it...gee, good thing no right-winger here dare bash Russia, that would be soooooooooo anti- Putin, and his butt-boy Trump
edit on 9-5-2018 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You're completely missing my point here, man. No POTUS has the legal authority to solo any commitment or promise by the USA, period. It is Unconstitutional and we are seeing what happens when one does so right now. Trump is taking grief over actually following the law. Obama did not have the authority to overrule the Congressionally applied sanctions on Iran, he did so illegally and all Trump has done here is return to legality. He did the exact same thing with DACA and with Paris. How fascinating to see people portray him as the jackass on topics where he is simply following the letter of the law as he swore to do when he took the oath of office.

I've never said Trump is the greatest POTUS ever. Personally, I don't see how any POTUS will exceed George Washington, Thmas Jefferson, Lincoln, Eisenhower, Truman, or Reagan. That said, I think the man is the best for the job today.

Being honest, I'd struggle to come up with any good Obama policies, but I can name quite a few Trump actions and policies I fully celebrate.

OK, good points. So I just googled "Is the Obama Iran deal legal?" First couple of pages...liberal or conservative, I'm not seeing anything that explicitly says if the deal was legal or not. That would lead one to assume that it was legal?

Thoughts? Was it really Illegal?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Unflushable

It is NOT a treaty!
I mean at least read the op
edit on 9-5-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

What does this have to do with the OP...you got opinions awesome...the new thread button can be found on the startpage for whatever forum you fit in...right up top right side.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Unflushable

if we actually withdraw the european union government at the very least better follow, otherwise they will be siding with an enemy.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unflushable
well alone with your Isreali friends that will stab you in the back the first chance they get.

...and yet they've never done so. www.heritage.org... 96.7% UN vote coincidence between the US and Israel over the past 30 years.

Look at this from 2012 (taking a single year because I don't feel like slogging through 30+ years of this crap)
www.state.gov...

Israel was at a 92.3% consensus overall with the US. Iran was at 15.6%, France 71%, UK 73.8%, Canada 85.7%, Australia 71.0%... Our staunchest ally in the world theater of powers and y'all are waiting for them to stab us in the back? You gotta be a real hoot at keggers, man.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Why not try researching the laws that pertain to such things...I hardly think the MSM or Google are authorities on such things. The OP even provided some of the very constitutional language relating to this as part of his point in the OP

<<   2  3  4 >>

join