It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Toughest Love [TL2018]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I was 16 when I realized I was in love for the first time.

It was during the Spring of 2000. I had known this girl my whole life, but never took a big interest until that spring.

I don’t know what it was about her that first caught my eye. Was it the familiarity with her interests, her scrappy nature, or perhaps just because she was the only game in town.

Whatever it was, I was a starry-eyed teenager that was smitten with love. I made several advances; going to see her on sunny days, spending hours with her. It was always outdoors in beautiful scenery; the skyline of the city behind us watching our every move. I took my friends to see her, and I must admit that for a while I suspect a few of them loved her too.

As I continued to show my affection, I started to notice something very disturbing. She wasn’t doing anything to show gratitude towards me. Where I would spend large amounts of money to be with her, she would hardly spend a dime. In fact, my friends and others would criticize her cheapness, but at first it didn’t bother me.

She wasn’t pretty, nor was she successful. Often I found myself having a miserable time when I would go visit her. Yet still every time I was going to see her, I was optimistic and excited.

Years went by and I started to drift further from her. Despite this, I would return every spring to her hopeful that things changed, and she would return my affection to me. And every year, just a bigger disappointment than the last.

But through it all, I still loved her. It was the toughest love I have ever had.

Eventually I met a different girl and fell in love. It was a much healthier, reciprocal relationship. And I was lucky that when I shared the story of my first love with this woman, she understood and still allowed me to visit with that first girl.

Then a funny thing happened. It was the spring of 2013. I went to see my girl, and for once, she started to show signs of caring. At first I was skeptical; I had been let down some many times before, and I had so many other things going on in my life. But still I watched her from afar.

And to my surprise, in the fall of 2013, my girl finally gave me a little something that I could be proud of.

My Pittsburgh Pirates went 94 and 68, breaking a twenty-year losing streak.

END

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

As a lifelong Lions and Tigers fan, I can relate.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Nice plot twist, I was much confused and had to read the last part twice

And a third time. Because when you know it it´s a totally different reading experience

edit on 8-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Nothing messes you up so much as your team and your girl

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Nice and intriguing story.

But I still don't like baseball.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Not a baseball fan here, but I bled Purple & Gold for the Minnesota Vikings for years.

I relate.

Nicely done Grambler!

top topics

join