It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 84 people were shot in Chicago over the past week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Black_Fox

Your article doesn't take into account the 7th day, which is today, May 8th. You need to add today's shootings to your weekly total. About 5 hours left.

That being said, the 84 shootings for the first 6 days of May is ahead of last year, which averaged 68 shootings per week.

REF: heyjackass.com...

I'll be there next week.
I think if we all give 100% and really dig deep, we can do better than that. Just have to go out and execute, maintain good technique things will fall into place.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
It's a sad situation. Complex and beyond 24 hour news cycle political fixes.

It's better left a mess, it's easier to use for the parties in there rhetoric like immigration.

That's the issue with all inner cities. Politicians don't actually want to solve the problems. If they did, they'd have nothing to run on in the next election.

However often the kids aren't killed in school, they understand a gun free zone needs a perimeter and a guard to enforce it.

Ultimate irony that gun free zones need armed guards.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's just reality. Not necessarily a negative. You go to court there isn't just a sticker on the door.

It seems a real easy fix to have a perimeter in schools and armed guard to enforce it.

It's probably better than letting teachers have guns though that is still better than a sticker on the door and a 350lb man somewhere on campus.

It's a negative we have shootings. I meant gun free zones need a perimeter enforced by metal detector, or scanners and an armed guard. The sticker isn't going to stop a madman.
edit on 8-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Did anyone violate the gun control laws? Shame on them.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You saw it here first: Chicago is going to set new records this summer. The one weekend number of fatalities, the one week number of fatalities, The one month number of fatalities will all set new highs.

I have been doing some research and the top nine cities in the US with the worst gun violence are all run by democrats and have strong anti-gun agendas. (Jacksonville, Florida, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Denver, Colorado, Louisville, Kentucky, Nashville, Tennessee, Columbus, Ohio, Chicago, Illinois, Las Vegas, Nevada, Charlotte, North Carolina, Baltimore, Maryland) Every single mass shooting has happened in a democrats gun-free zone. Why not just put up a sign that says "DEFENSELESS CHILDREN THIS WAY >>>."

We do need a solution to this problem but we have to stop wasting time on old ideas that fail every time. If your goal is to save lives you need to intervene in the crime process before the act is committed. Legislation does not enter in to the process until after the fact. Making something illegal does not stop the behavior. Stealing is illegal but people still steal. The legislation does not stop them. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward. Speeding is illegal but it does not stop people form speeding. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward. Murder is illegal. It does not stop people from killing. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward.

By default, legislation can not and will not solve this problem. If it could, the problem would have been solved decades ago. People are going to have to accept the fact that legislation does not change the behavior of criminals. Criminals break the law. That is why we call them criminals. It doesn't matter how many laws you pass criminals are going to break them. They will solve nothing.

This problem will only be solved when people are allowed and able to protect themselves. I would rather live in the wild west and at least have a chance to defend myself than live in Chicago today where my only two options are to be a victim or be a criminal for taking steps to protect myself.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
This had crossed my mind....

The ironic thing about that scene is that the building used for the hospital scene is on the westside of Chicago in Austin which is pretty much the worst neighborhood in the city. The blew up an old abandoned candy factory.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I would rather live in the wild west and at least have a chance to defend myself than live in Chicago today where my only two options are to be a victim or be a criminal for taking steps to protect myself.

motion seconded

my neighborhood gets more dangerous every week, more criminals pour in from the big cities, all of the crime problems from NYC, Philly, NJ and Ohio are coming here and have been for the last ten years

the only reason I moved back here from California was to go to school and get a degree in technology so I can move to one of the few nice places left

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
You saw it here first: Chicago is going to set new records this summer. The one weekend number of fatalities, the one week number of fatalities, The one month number of fatalities will all set new highs.

I have been doing some research and the top nine cities in the US with the worst gun violence are all run by democrats and have strong anti-gun agendas. (Jacksonville, Florida, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Denver, Colorado, Louisville, Kentucky, Nashville, Tennessee, Columbus, Ohio, Chicago, Illinois, Las Vegas, Nevada, Charlotte, North Carolina, Baltimore, Maryland) Every single mass shooting has happened in a democrats gun-free zone. Why not just put up a sign that says "DEFENSELESS CHILDREN THIS WAY >>>."

We do need a solution to this problem but we have to stop wasting time on old ideas that fail every time. If your goal is to save lives you need to intervene in the crime process before the act is committed. Legislation does not enter in to the process until after the fact. Making something illegal does not stop the behavior. Stealing is illegal but people still steal. The legislation does not stop them. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward. Speeding is illegal but it does not stop people form speeding. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward. Murder is illegal. It does not stop people from killing. It only provides a way and a reason to prosecute them afterward.

By default, legislation can not and will not solve this problem. If it could, the problem would have been solved decades ago. People are going to have to accept the fact that legislation does not change the behavior of criminals. Criminals break the law. That is why we call them criminals. It doesn't matter how many laws you pass criminals are going to break them. They will solve nothing.

This problem will only be solved when people are allowed and able to protect themselves. I would rather live in the wild west and at least have a chance to defend myself than live in Chicago today where my only two options are to be a victim or be a criminal for taking steps to protect myself.

You are conflating two entirely different issues...

The gun violence in the OP really has nothing to do with individual gun rights as it is one gang banger shooting another gang banger. It is thug population control. So unless you are a gangbanger hanging around on the West or Southside of Chicago, your ability to conceal & carry really has nothing to do with said violence.

With that said, I support concealed carry, but let's be factual. The violence in the OP is in no way related to mass shootings or people even being able to defend themselves...

To be frank, this is one thug shooting another thug. It is almost entirely a black lower class issue. It is the result of LBJs war on poverty encouraging single mother hood destroying the black family.

(post by SKEPTEK removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Sorry, but that isn't quite accurate.

Yes, some of it is gang vs. gang violence with a good number of innocents caught in the middle. But there is also a fair amount of armed robberies, car jacking, etc, that might end differently if people could protect themselves. You can't just blame it all on gangland drive-bys and leave it at that.

It is disingenuous to ignore the number of intentional shootings which varies from month to month. With summer approaching that number will increase dramatically, and I fear this year will be one of the worst on record. Time will tell.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
Let me put on my pink pussy hat.

Now then.

All these people need is more money and more programs. And more money for them programs.

That used to be the tactic, sad as that is. But, with unemployment among black males at an all time low its hard to keep making that argument...

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Now imagine what would happen if Trump cleaned up Chicago? I think there would be some mass head explosions.

Talk about a lasting nail in the coffin for the Obama legacy....LOL!

I'm curious as to how Chicago can be cleaned up, moving on the thugs simply increases crime to wherever they are moved to. So other than just killing all the gangbangers what do you propose Trump can do about it exactly?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: Edumakated

Sorry, but that isn't quite accurate.

Yes, some of it is gang vs. gang violence with a good number of innocents caught in the middle. But there is also a fair amount of armed robberies, car jacking, etc, that might end differently if people could protect themselves. You can't just blame it all on gangland drive-bys and leave it at that.

It is disingenuous to ignore the number of intentional shootings which varies from month to month. With summer approaching that number will increase dramatically, and I fear this year will be one of the worst on record. Time will tell.

I live here... it is quite accurate. Yes, there are some robberies, etc but the reality is that the vast majority is gang related or beefs over bullsh*t. I was trying to find a report the Chicago PD put out, but literally 80% of the murders are gang related. Chicago is the gang capital.

Here is a news report from last year talking about how gangs in Chicago are literally beefing over freaking Facebook posts!

Social Media Fueling Gang Violence in Chicago

In the article:

The overwhelming percentage of murders taking place in Chicago can be traced to either gang members or to others who have some sort of gang tie, according to Deputy Chief of Police Kevin Ryan. Celebrating 30 years on the force this year, Ryan, who heads Area Central, says Chicago has 59 gangs, 625 factions totaling 125,000 members. And that an estimated 75% of murders in Chicago are gang related. Using that percentage 571 of Chicago’s 762 killings in 2016 are gang related.

It is literally Lord of the Flies. Feral youths running around with no father figures and hood rat mamas. In fact, you might as well call them child soldiers. Chief of police commented last year the average age of a "shooter" now is like 15...

Chicago Police Chief - Shooters are getting younger

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It seems as if that city is meant to be the way it is. Evil people feed off of negative energy and I can only imagine how much that city must put off for them to feed on. The people up top that is.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

It's better left a mess, it's easier to use for the parties in their rhetoric like immigration.

However often the kids aren't killed in school, they understand a gun free zone needs a perimeter and a guard to enforce it.

That's probably because those "kids" see more money and opportunity on the streets now, than graduating and hoping for a future.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

It's better left a mess, it's easier to use for the parties in their rhetoric like immigration.

That's probably because those "kids" see more money and opportunity on the streets now, than graduating and hoping for a future.

Sure. It's probably that simple.

Or it could be the metal detectors and armed guards at the entrance.

edit on 8-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Honest ugly questions.

What kind of future is in store for the gang bangers in the inner cities?

How many quit their life of crime and become leaders, businessmen, business owners, productive members of society?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Your reply suggests a very simplistic understanding of complex forces spanning generational amounts of time.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well they dont call it shi'tcago for nothing.

Seems to be quite an issue, who would have thunk it. But there it is.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Honest ugly questions.

What kind of future is in store for the gang bangers in the inner cities?

How many quit their life of crime and become leaders, businessmen, business owners, productive members of society?

Very few do because they wind up dead or in jail...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join