It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthier people from other states are moving into California while those with less money move out.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Ha, ha, yea...........no, actually that has nothing to do with it.

What it is is that even third and fourth generation Hispanics in Texas are ever more speaking Spanish both at home and on the job. In fact in several of our school districts, they've gone full bilingual. English speaking kids from grades 1-4 are taught 75% of the time in Spanish and only 25% of the time in English. By middle school its 50/50 and the goal is that everyone graduates bi-lingual, Spanish/English.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I bet you defended his tax scam that benefits those born with silver spoons you seem to dislike so much.

it's just funny when trump supporters complain about wealthy capitalists, especially those born with a silver spoon.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
That was their plan all along.....
Cali - what a box o' rocks
Without the rocks

edit on 5/8/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's cheaper to live in Los angels than it is New York. You can't compare Texas or other places you have to find cities on the same economic rung. One bedroom apartments in New York rent for $2843 a month on average. Los Angeles,One bedroom apartments in Los Angeles rent for $2252 a month on average. So to live in a city is expensive. For comparison apartments inWashington DC rent for $2037 a month on average. So if you want to live I a big city it's expensive has nothing to do with policies

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: toysforadults

Ha, ha, yea...........no, actually that has nothing to do with it.

What it is is that even third and fourth generation Hispanics in Texas are ever more speaking Spanish both at home and on the job. In fact in several of our school districts, they've gone full bilingual. English speaking kids from grades 1-4 are taught 75% of the time in Spanish and only 25% of the time in English. By middle school its 50/50 and the goal is that everyone graduates bi-lingual, Spanish/English.

I'm of the opinion we should annex Mexico as a state and clear out the cartels but there's nothing wrong with bilingual

there is something wrong with the rest of the world coming here thinking they don't have to respect our laws though

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
It's cheaper to live in Los angels than it is New York. You can't compare Texas or other places you have to find cities on the same economic rung. One bedroom apartments in New York rent for $2843 a month on average. Los Angeles,One bedroom apartments in Los Angeles rent for $2252 a month on average. So to live in a city is expensive. For comparison apartments inWashington DC rent for $2037 a month on average. So if you want to live I a big city it's expensive has nothing to do with policies

You don't need a car in NY....

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I’m driving back to Cali right now. Helping my friend move from the Bay Area to just outside Reno. Sold his 3 bd I story for 1.1m and bought a 5 bd 2 story in fernley for 350k. Don’t worry though, he’s not a liberal and loves guns, 4x4s and freedom. He worked at theranos and they are finished. Lot if meth heads out here.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The night time sky is beautiful out here though. It’s full of stars. Been a while since I’ve seen the Milky Way

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The cost of living in Cali is too high for the average person. Even with the extra money in wages at a job compared to other areas, the people cannot afford to live there. What are all the rich people going to do when all the workers leave because they can't make it there? The type of economy they have created over the years in that state was not thought out well, they tossed the history of economics out the door, thinking they can make it work when every other economy found it did not work. I would say this is one of the big flaws of Liberals, they think they are smarter than the people before them. I think they are going to learn a hard lesson, hopefully they do not drag the rest of the US down with them.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
The middle class and upper middle class are getting crushed by the cost of living and high taxes. A lot of upper middle class people buy homes in AZ,NV or OR and claim them as primary residences to get around the taxes, even though they still live and work here. I wish we could get some super wealthy conservatives to move in to help tip the balance and bring sanity back to this place.

There's the problem. The bleeding-heart liberals declared their cities "sanctuary cities" for the South Americans escaping the war on Communism. Those refugees needed social programs to help them integrate. Then the Californians approved tax rises on the CEO's and executives to pay for all of these programs. Taxes were set at 50% on those earning a million dollars or more and continued to rise. Those executives then buy second homes out of state to avoid paying these taxes and also as a bolthole in case of the next earthquake. So the taxes fall to the next tier of tax-paying workers below.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I'll tell you it's not just the CEO's and execs - I personally know several LAFD and LAPD (best paid and pensioned in the country) who have done the same. Their master plan is to work maximum OT in their last 2 years on the job to inflate their pensions then retire and move out of state, taking their pension money with them. The best part is that they are a hardcore democrat voting bloc - they just don't want to live out their golden years in the mess they created.
edit on 5 8 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I'll tell you it's not just the CEO's and execs - I personally know several LAFD and LAPD (best paid and pensioned in the country) who have done the same. Their master plan is to work maximum OT in their last 2 years on the job to inflate their pensions then retire and move out of state, taking their pension money with them. The best part is that they are a hardcore democrat voting bloc - they just don't want to live out their golden years in the mess they created.

That was the biggest problem California had - the state workers pension fund

www.latimes.com...

"More than 200,000 civil servants became eligible to retire at 55 — and in many cases collect more than half their highest salary for life. California Highway Patrol officers could retire at 50 and receive as much as 90% of their peak pay for as long as they lived."

"Today, the difference between what all California government agencies have set aside for pensions and what they will eventually owe amounts to $241 billion, according to the state controller."

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Interestingly, the white liberals in Beverly Hills are very racist. While they call Trump and conservatives racists, they look down on brown people and think all of them are poor.

I am told by my professor to stay on the Western Conservative US states like Utah and Montana and avoid Oklahoma and other Southern states.

My favorite place to travel is the Southern states. They are filled with friendly folks and some of the best food around. I am surprised by your professors remarks. He sounds like a bigoted fool.

I just want to quote that because the message is perfect. Maybe OP, you are listening to the wrong people. You need to get out and travel, try the world on for size for yourself and experience life. Seriously, your professor is flat out wrong.

You're young.....go for it.

I came across this article which has some valid points that maybe you and your friends might want to take note of. I only listed the top 18 in order to not violate T&C.

50 Reasons Why California Sucks

1. California ranked dead last in Chief Executive magazine’s annual Best and Worst States for Business survey in 2016. Oh, and it also was ranked dead last for every other year that the survey has been conducted.

2. In 2015, the state of California ranked 50th out of all 50 states in new business creation.

3. According to a recent study, California is the worst-governed state in the entire country for two years in a row!

4. Even after Proposition 30, California still boasts the highest state income tax rate in the nation.

5. Even though California continually (Prop 55) raises taxes dramatically on the wealthy, state revenues are falling like a rock and debt is still adding up.

6. California has the highest sales tax rate in the United States.

7. California has the 9th highest corporate income tax rate in the country.

8. California has the highest “minimum corporate tax” in the country. It is the only state where a corporation must pay money to the state even if a corporation does not make a single dollar of profit.

9. California has the 5th highest gas tax in the country. And don’t worry – if you drive an electric car they’ll still charge you a $100 annual fee for “offsetting your gas taxes”.

10. California is the only state in America that taxes carbon emissions.

11. The state of California issues some of the most expensive traffic tickets in the nation. It is actually the highest when you count in the insurance premium hit.

12. California has historically had the third highest unemployment rate of any state, and has the highest under-employment rate.

13. California scored 45th on “The Nation’s Report Card” for public school test scores, indicating significantly sub-par scores on Math and Reading and generally poorly educated students.

14. The state of California requires licenses for 198 different occupations (the most in the nation). The national average is only 96.

15. California teachers are the 5th highest paid in the nation, but California students rank 46th in math and 49th in reading.

16. California accounts for 12.15% percent of the U.S. population, but a whopping 30% percent of Americans that receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and MOE live there. This amounts to almost 7 billion dollars per year.

17. California now has the lowest credit/bond rating in the entire country (Yes, it even surpassed Illinois).

18. Including unfunded pension liabilities, the state of California has more than twice as much debt as any other state does. Their total state debt (w/o unfunded pension liabilities) is second only to New York.

www.hiddendominion.com...

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

They do the same in Illinois. Max out right before retirement. Then pack up and leave the state...

The problem with liberals is that the too often don't have to live with the consequences or results of their policies....

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

As far California sourced income is concerned, owning a home outside of the state isn’t going to reduce your state tax all that much.

CA taxes ALL income sourced to California, regardless of the taxpayer’s residence/domicile.

Non-resident taxpayers pay their taxes to the State on a prorated basis.
edit on 8-5-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Like locusts!

They will just move somewhere else and vote for people who did the same thing to make them move somewhere else!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

That was the biggest problem California had - the state workers pension fund

www.latimes.com...

"More than 200,000 civil servants became eligible to retire at 55 — and in many cases collect more than half their highest salary for life. California Highway Patrol officers could retire at 50 and receive as much as 90% of their peak pay for as long as they lived."

"Today, the difference between what all California government agencies have set aside for pensions and what they will eventually owe amounts to $241 billion, according to the state controller."

Yep!

It's ancient history as to what Bill Clinton and his admin did to those who worked in what is now known as the rust belt in the steel industry. My father and brother both got shafted because the companies folded thanks to selling our steel industry out to China for inferior steel. Then when the companies went bankrupt the so called Justice System sided with the companies to screw the workers of their pensions!

I have always said the Deep State is those who work as civil servants, so it will be interesting to see how these corrupt politicians handle this one!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

California Highway Patrol officers could retire at 50 and receive as much as 90% of their peak pay for as long as they lived."

I know a married couple both CHP who retired last year and their combined pensions are well over $200k/year for the rest of their lives.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

State employees are eligible for retirement at 55, but, unless they are in safety (firefighters), law enforcement, or correctional officers, state employee pensions start at about 42%, depending on the number of years worked, of their highest wage. The pension amount increases by about 2% for each additional year worked once the employee becomes eligible for retirement.

Yes, LEO and safety/correctional officers are allowed to retire with something like 80% of their highest salary, due to the implied hazardous nature of thier work. Prison guard is not an easy job.

Unfortunately, due to some very bad decisions made by agency administrators, the legislature, and the public/taxpayers, many of these fields have been historically under-staffed. This has resulted in huge amounts of mandatory overtime for officers, and massive expense to the State.

If your boss tells you that you got to work, you might as well try to get paid the best you can for your time, especially when working more puts you at greater risk for injury, or death, right?

The biggest problem with CA pensions is not so much with State employees, but with city and county employees (whose pensions, like those of actual State employees, are managed by CalPERS).

The problem is that for too long, cities and counties have been underfunding their employee pension funds, leaving CalPERS to try to make up the difference. CalPERS is then required, by law, to seek the additional funds it needs from the state government.

Kind of like the way Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) failed to properly maintain its natural gas lines in San Bruno, (which improved its dividend position with its shareholders) but then tried to surcharge its customers for the penalties and fines it incurred when those lines exploded and burned a large portion of the city.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Wealthier people and those from states like New York and Illinois are moving in by the droves to California while young people with less money are bailing out to states such as Texas, Arizona and Nevada, a report from the state’s Legislative Analyst’s Office revealed Wednesday.

As a result, California is increasingly becoming a state only for rich people.

Source Article

For those wondering why, it has a lot to do with the rising costs in California. In order to live in California, you have to have a roommate, live with parents or find a a high paying job. By high paying job, I meant corporate, IT, or Hollyweird. Many of these jobs are very notorious for being hard to get in.

If you don't get any of these, you end up in situations like this:

Me, my friend and many other people are discussing places to move. The places we are considering of moving are the following states: Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas and North Carolina.

A lot of us feel that we have no future in this state. Not even trades can help us. In fact, I know one plumber who have to have another job (apartment management) in order to live in his place.

There are no manufacturing jobs since a lot of them went overseas in the 1980s and 1990s due to neoliberal policies.

However, there are quite a few who refused to move and want to take a stand against the rising costs. Many of them are working class minorities who feared moving to the Mid West and South because they see the place as full of KKK and other white supremacist groups.

Don't come to AZ. Were sick of all the SOCAL losers coming out here and talking about CA like we're missing out. Most of them are too burned out to hold a real job and they drive their obnoxious trucks with their SOCAL stickers while getting their 3rd DUI.

If you are a clean respectable person who is not going to go full SOCAL once here than you are welcome to stay. Buy a gun and enjoy the heat.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join