It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn’t the Bible specifically condemn prophecy and such????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I ran across this bible verse the other day and was kinda shocked...

Deuteronomy 18:10b-12a “anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12 for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord.”

Doesn’t that biblical quote pretty much condemn every evangelical preacher in history?!?!

It seems to me the vast majority of christianities Protestant leaders are constantly interpreting omens and such to claim “the end is neigh” !!

Hell, there are countless threads on ATS where Christians are interpreting their dreams, or claiming this, that or the other thing is an omen that the world will soon end.

There is no shortage of Christian leaders claiming “god told me this was gonna happen in the future..”

Also , How many Christians claim to talk to their relatives in heaven???

So I’m really quite flabbergasted that there is a verse that specifically condemns all that..

edit on 8-5-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Might want to browse through this commentary.

www.wake-up.org...

Paragraph 4 and 5 in bold print.. to speed things up...
edit on 8-5-2018 by Plotus because: Truth

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
How else do you make money from religion?
Anyone can read the bible, but it takes a ‘chosen one’ to interpret it correctly.

Doomsday prophets have been around since the dawn of time.
Also - if I’m not mistaken the bible specifically states that no one will know the day when the end comes, other than God.

I’m not religious myself, I believe heaven is here and now, it’s up to us to make it happen.
edit on 8-5-2018 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I guess my remote view abilities make me evil.

What about Intuition. That could be construed as divination, 2000 years ago.
edit on 8-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The intention was to prevent people to understand the reality and the truth of things. Once you comprehend the spiritual realm, you understand that GOD is more than just what the bible says.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No, the point is that they are trying to do these things independently of God.
Elsewhere in the Old Testaments are prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah; that's fine, because God is telling them things, and they're just passing it on. That's the difference.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It is true that verse you quoted from Deuteronomy.
It is also true what says in the verse from Corinthians which Plotus linked to.

God the Father gives and directs without you seeking it. He chooses people and calls them. It is called gifts of the Holy Spirit. Which God the Father and his image his son Yeshua give to people.

Divination is seeking occult practices. Deliberately wanting and looking for meaning in things which according to scripture invokes the power which is given to Satan from God the Father. He is after all given to be the ruler of this world until Yeshua comes again.

Satan, his fellow fallen messengers and the evil nephilim spirits roam this world beyond the veil and corrupt us through occult teachings. Which include what says in the verse you quoted from Deuteronomy

There is a clear distinction. However, we are to test every spirit according to scripture. That's how we know for sure.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

1st Cor 14:5 "I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified." NIV

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Sump3

Sooo, if the person doing this things is not a Christian, then he/her is committing sin?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

If a person is doing these things on his own accord and calls himself a 'christian', he is committing a sin.

If a person receives these things and is instructed they are from God the Father, God the Son or their Holy Spirit. Then they are chosen, called upon by them.

To clear up which is which we are to peer in to scripture and see if these things are from God or not. And test them in the name of the Savior.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sump3

If a person is doing these things on his own accord and calls himself a 'christian', he is committing a sin.

If a person receives these things and is instructed they are from God the Father, God the Son or their Holy Spirit. Then they are chosen, called upon by them.

To clear up which is which we are to peer in to scripture and see if these things are from God or not. And test them in the name of the Savior.

Is kinda confusing, don't you think?
What if I have the gift but I'm no Christian? How do you test them?
Where in the bible says do this or do that to verify is true?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The op has asked a very good question
Your question is valid as well.
Simply if the prophecy given is in line with the scriptures then it's valid
Setting a date on the end of the world is invalid as the scriptures state clearly only God knows that date and it will come like a thief in the night

To verify its validity is as simple as seeing if the prophecy aligns with scripture

A lady friend of mine was told by a minister, "God is preparing a man for you" I nearly laughed out aloud, I thought to myself, she needs to prepare herself to be a woman of God first

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yes, it can be kind of confusing. Until you know scripture by heart.

Yeshua came to save the unrighteous (the sinners), not the righteous (who think they are sinless, but aren't). He calls on and chooses unbelievers and believers alike.

You test them by reading the scripture and knowing them by heart. And if a spirit or a messenger is communicating to you, you ask them if they come from God Yeshua as he is the mediator from God the Father. Every evil or foul thing fears the name of Yeshua. Also, we are to follow the example of Yeshua. He expelled evil spirits from people and even spoke to those unclean spirits.

Jesus casts out demons/unclean spirits

How to test spirits

Hope this helps.
edit on 8/5/18 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/18 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

You have been well instructed, but again, the question is; What if I'm not a Christian? (That left Jesus out of the equation) Under that condition, how do you know?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego

You have been well instructed, but again, the question is; What if I'm not a Christian? (That left Jesus out of the equation) Under that condition, how do you know?

If you don't follow/believe in Jesus why do you care?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I’m pretty sure it says a prophet from god is ALWAYS right in his prophecies..

If they are wrong once. Then it is from the devil.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
No, the point is that they are trying to do these things independently of God.
Elsewhere in the Old Testaments are prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah; that's fine, because God is telling them things, and they're just passing it on. That's the difference.

How do you know it was your god talking to them?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

If you don't follow/believe in Jesus why do you care?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Christian and I believe in Jesus. But I'm also aware that this is not the only religion in the world.
And there is good in this world, not only from christianity.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
The intention was to prevent people to understand the reality and the truth of things. Once you comprehend the spiritual realm, you understand that GOD is more than just what the bible says.
Do you understand the spiritual realm?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: DISRAELI

I’m pretty sure it says a prophet from god is ALWAYS right in his prophecies..

If they are wrong once. Then it is from the devil.
Was jesus wrong about any of his prophecies?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join