It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95,745,000: Record Number Not in Labor Force as Boomers Retire

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Schools are so expensive because there are not enough of them. They seem to be everywhere but most teach little of any real value. For example: Back in the day, you could see your family doctor for $35. They made house calls. Today it's closer to $800 or $1000 per visit. If there were more of them maybe it would be less expensive. I know the equipment, insurance and nurses cost but there must be a better way. Same goes for skilled trades.

I don't begrudge anyone a good living and to those that charge a fortune, I am happy for your personal success. It's that many things seem overly expensive to me. There must be a way to get more people doing this stuff and bring down the prices. Maybe it is over regulation.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: DBCowboy
But is that not better than the highly touted 8% of the Obama admin ? At least some of the numbers are from folks retiring and not being dropped from the system for lack of employment . Which , by the way , was well-hidden then.

Oh sure, it's better. But I have a problem with them touting numbers like they are real.

We can do better as a country.

That would require Dems and the media to not be bias and say Trump has 30% unemployment and Obama only had 8%. They will make a redaction eventually no one will see and the damage is done.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Who really knows what is true? All most of us has is our own experiences in our own local area. I''ll believe we are making progress when wages go up, when people start coming out of retirement to work again, when we can leave one job and go across the street and get another in less than a week.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

when wages start moving I'll believe something until then everything is crap

oh edit to add: yes the wages have moved in specialized areas in tech otherwise nill
edit on 9-5-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Boomers is a pretty broad group of people. The youngest are in their mid 50's. Some are still able to work and want to. Nothing wrong there. What gets me is the people in their 60's and 70's or even 80's(which would make them a part of the Greatest Generation) that either have to work or just want to. You've seen them. Driving taxis or worse. If you have to that's pretty sad. If you don't have to work, you're just bored, give the job up so that a younger person can. Volunteer if you're bored.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join