It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95,745,000: Record Number Not in Labor Force as Boomers Retire

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I work in retail and have been interviewing an awful lot of older folks who are retired and looking for something to do lately. Many of them describe their income as inadequate.

Youre right about this. Unemployment is much worse than the numbers show.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: faint1993

This is why I never buy into the idea the economy is improving. Its all fake news to give people false hope. The economy is really going to collapse in the future.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: DBCowboy
But is that not better than the highly touted 8% of the Obama admin ? At least some of the numbers are from folks retiring and not being dropped from the system for lack of employment . Which , by the way , was well-hidden then.

Ugh. It takes several years for legal changes to affect the national unemployment rate. Do you seriously think the impressively low unemployment rate in March 2017 was a reflection of trumps efforts? Obama created those jobs.

Not saying trump isnt doing well with the job market by the way. We are just now only starting to see the effects of his efforts. Which so far seem so good...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Is it Trumps fault that millions of people reached age 64 by 2011 and the aging trend continues? Trump is also suddenly responsible for the 50 years or so of the type of reports and data bases used to provide information and statistics? People have been complaining about the issues of the labor force reports for some time. I'm sure if you give him time he can fix this issue if he is even aware of or cares about it. His plate is full and the duty to attack the flaws and revamping of this report process might fall on another's plate. Trump's using the 3.9% figure because that's what the formula calls for.

Not all the millions of elderly want to or are looking for work. Many are simply retiring because they want to. It's a normal process. Or they don't work because they are not eligible or haven't applied for SSI/SSD but incapable of working because of health issues.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The unemployment rate was 4.6% November 2016

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This is why I never buy into the idea the economy is improving. Its all fake news to give people false hope. The economy is really going to collapse in the future.

more people are spending money on construction where I live

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Home Depot hired 80,000 people worldwide when Trump won

insider.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I'm not blaming Trump for the numbers, but I will hold him to task when he uses the same false algorithm that Obama used.

Trump has improved the economy and has lowered unemployment.

He should feel great and I am happy that I voted for him.

But he should be honest with the numbers.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Home Depot hired 80,000 people worldwide when Trump won

insider.foxnews.com...

Lots of companies decided to hire lots of people in the months following Trump’s election. That doesn’t necessarily mean they made those decisions because of the election. The article you shared provided no evidence to support that line of thought. It was implied.

It takes time to create jobs. People have to do their jobs to create more jobs. Imagine if a company gave you an unlimited budget to produce as many jobs as you could. That would probably never happen, but even if it did it would take you weeks (at the very least) to create those jobs and then several more weeks (again, at least) to fill all of those positions.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

not with promised tax cuts

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

not with promised tax cuts

That’s a good point. I guess the difference here is that usually most people are skeptical about politicians’ promises, but the big corporations knew during the Trump campaign that he would follow through with his promise to make the rich get richer.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Uh, so in one year there's this sudden departure of us boomers, eh? I think not. Percentage-wise likely no change over the decades whatsoever.

Still plenty of old f....aged flatulaters toiling away, yes? Trump has every right to tout the 3.9 figure. You think the left wouldn't if they were in power? Heck, they say it's due to Obama's work that these numbers are going down.

My family is involved in five different employment/management positions with a fairly wide range of industries. All are having trouble finding, willing, qualified workers. Help wanted signs abound.

That, sir, is empirical evidence this economy is taking off. The links, posts and opinions can be ignored. High end headhunters can't find qualified people to fill the positions.

My bet is big, BIG wage increases are right around the corner. Supply and demand. Look to Trump keeping some of the long term illegals that have remained otherwise clean to be given work visas. We're gonna need 'em.

Just my opinion, though.

P.S. I'm done on the 18th of this month. At least no more full time work, anyways.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Third, the marriage rate is projected to continue declining, especially among men

Eh, I would think that that rate would tend to be fairly equal between the two sexes?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I have always wondered why they dont publish the real numbers
On anything

Shhhh... it is a secret:

www.shadowstats.com...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: terrapincb
a reply to: Gothmog

The unemployment rate was 4.6% November 2016

Not counting the millions of illegal immigrants and folks that the system had dropped as no work could be found....

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

But is that not better than the highly touted 8% of the Obama admin ? At least some of the numbers are from folks retiring and not being dropped from the system for lack of employment . Which , by the way , was well-hidden then.

Huh?

When Obama entered office, the unemployment rate was 7.8% and climbing. It peaked at 10% and it was 4.8% and dropping when he left office. This is all the U3 number — the same one that is 3.9% now.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I don't usually care which number is used as long as the same one is used consistently. But I do appreciate you giving the U3 number the "fake number" treatment because a lot of your fellow Trump supporters seem to have forgotten that it was *always* dismissed as such during the previous administration.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Obama also had a huge part in easing disability claims, unemployment claims, and putting nearly 50,000,000 Americans on welfare/food stamps.

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 08 May 2018 01:49:14 -05005amTuesdayth01am by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Young people want to work. How hard is that to comprehend? Why do you need a fancy piece of paper to prove your worth?

Just give them a chance!
Pretty much all my friends are hard working people and more than half have applied to well over 300 jobs in the last 5 years, here we are in our late 20s - early 30s still looking for a decent paying job all because they didn't take a science, maths or business degree. I went to trade school and it still took me 4 years to land a decent job, and I had to basically lie in my interview for me to just prove my worth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join