It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95,745,000: Record Number Not in Labor Force as Boomers Retire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
www.cnsnews.com...

A couple of disclaimers.

One, I did vote for Trump.

Yes, the job numbers are good, but they don't tell the real tale. Now plenty of boomers are retiring, so that takes into account some of the numbers. But we can always do better. I wish Trump would stop touting the 3.9%. Because it is a lie. Too many still need to work, are still looking for work and we should not rest on an artificial number.

Two, I am a boomer.

I have not retired yet, I have not let some youngster step into my shoes yet. WHY? Because I can't find one worthy enough to do the job!

Kids!

Get serious about work! STEM! Quit with the gender-fluid-trans studies and start getting educations that'll make you some bank! I'm old. My knee hurts! Replace me!

PLEASE!

Final note, I had problems cutting and pasting the bulk of the article. So please take a look at the link.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
your companies hiring practice is probably garbage

+2 more 
posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
your companies hiring practice is probably garbage

We have a very dignified process with listing found on Craig's List, Tinder, Grinder, and Ebay.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I wouldn't be surprised, there's plenty of talent out there

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
But is that not better than the highly touted 8% of the Obama admin ? At least some of the numbers are from folks retiring and not being dropped from the system for lack of employment . Which , by the way , was well-hidden then.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

We still get the Sunday local newspaper and the last one had big section dedicated to skilled trades. The many points of interests were who's hiring, what to expect of the work and the median pay associated with the differing jobs and skills acquired. Also a list of local companies hiring and their rating in the area.

What was rather confusing is how close in number the starting pay and median pay became, I'm talking a few dollars apart. Considering one in my particular trade made more 20 years ago for less knowledge is rather comical. Also to tout these median wages, which fall to around $6 above minimum wage, is rather laughable.

Now on the other side of the case, there is the fact that manufacturing has fallen drastically and that there remains plenty of slots to fill, although I'm doubting they will remain so. There is also local considerations however to that our area has only shown massive and continued growth.

My point is that these weak pay and long apprenticeships amount to the same as the manager of the local burger joint (per the article) and is not enticing to anyone who wants to be financially secure in this locale.

I also understand (I think) what it is you do and it's of much higher skill and knowledge than what I'm talking about. Its not a complete apples to apples nor is it a comparison to oranges. Perhaps peaches to nectarines.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
But is that not better than the highly touted 8% of the Obama admin ? At least some of the numbers are from folks retiring and not being dropped from the system for lack of employment . Which , by the way , was well-hidden then.

Oh sure, it's better. But I have a problem with them touting numbers like they are real.

We can do better as a country.

link   
Db with a post????

Damn, whose gonna pay tax now?

link   

Trump doesn’t lie. It’s just that the facts aren’t true.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well, sadly STEM isn't an option for many people. In the future, STEM will only be for the rich.

www.abovetopsecret.com... (Scroll down until you see ATS member Boohoo's explanation on why STEM will only be for rich people)

And in places like California, even a STEM degree can't help you.

Plus a lot of Universities do a terrible job of teaching STEM. I could have gone to Engineering or other Science related fields if it wasn't for me being timed at exams. I can't do math while timed.
edit on 5/7/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

That is a very uneducated response based solely on assumptions about the OP. I am a millennial and make a decent amount of paper. I am only 30 and own my own house and have a inground pool. I have chickens a dog and a few cats. My car is paid off and my mortgage is about to be. For all you know DB could be in the 1% and to make the assumption otherwise shows a level of ignorance. It is ok to be upset by someone bringing something to the table but try to stay clear minded and not let emotions get in the way of your response.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I have always wondered why they dont publish the real numbers
On anything

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What about the “multi-TRILLION” student loan debt bubble?

The working class is expected to pick up the tax tab, and its bleak, at best

Who’s going to pay the Tax?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

And Social Security goes broke.
Yay.!
Thanks FDR!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

the STEM degrees are over rated

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I work in construction and everyone is getting what they were getting on bids 25 years ago, the unions many of them are going to lose their pensions soon

it's better to subcontract and keep your money

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yay.!
Thanks FDR!

I'm not counting on social security personally. That does not even factor into my retirement accounts.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yay.!
Thanks FDR!

I'm not counting on social security personally. That does not even factor into my retirement accounts.

I was thinking of all the senior citizens that will be forced to eat pet food. ..... Maybe even their pets!

<<   2  3 >>

join