It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHCD Spent 85 percent Of Donations On The Dinner Itself

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

We’re not done trying to end the White House Correspondents Dinner. Breitbart’s examination of the non-profit’s filings with the IRS reveals that though the organization claims its annual blowout is vital for funding journalism scholarships, last year just 13.4 percent of the proceeds went to students.
Either the dinner itself is getting more expensive or fewer people are attending, because that percentage has been getting worse over the years to where faculty from one of the schools, whose students benefit from the scholarship, calls the whole thing, “utter worthlessness,” in a series of scathing tweets.

iotwreport.com...

White House Correspondents’ Association Exposed: Regularly Spends About 85% of WHCD Revenue on Annual Party, Not Scholarships

[T]he dinner cost $553,719 to put on, and generated $806,250 in ticket sales and donations. (A detailed accounting of the 2018 event isn’t yet available.) Less than half of the contributions—$108,000—went to 25 scholarships; the rest went to general operating expenses like the organization’s searchable pool report archive or programming like panels with former White House secretaries. And the WHCA as a whole netted just over $29,000 for the fiscal year ending in October 2017.

$452,817 was spent on the venue and food, $24,191 on host Hasan Minhaj and other entertainment, and $76,711 for the percent of the executive director’s salary spent working on the dinner, as well as payments to vendors and event staff for a total of $553,719.
In 2016, it was even worse. The Washington Post reported the annual dinner was “nearly the entire source of [the association’s] annual revenue of around $600,000.” That year, the association awarded “about $77,500 to 18 students,” Money‘s Kaitlin Mulhere reported. “That’s small change compared to the incredible amount of money spent on and around what’s been dubbed D.C.’s Nerd Prom,” she added.
At just 12.9 percent of its estimated revenue, the WHCA’s 2016 scholarship payout was down from the 21.5 percent spent in 2014, which was also down from 26 percent in 2013 and nearly 60 percent in 2009, according to the Washingtonian.

www.breitbart.com... holarships/

Long story short, the WHCD spends most of the money on itself and could care less about scholarships. The scholarship program I am involved in takes care about half of the students the big time WHCD does, and I don't even take a dime, no one does.

It all goes to scholarships.

So basically this is a bunch of leftists jerking each other off at a nice dinner where they get drunk and mock everyone who doesn't think like them.

Losers.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
👍 another phony balony outfit exposed !!

😀

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

So basically this is a bunch of leftists jerking each other off at a nice dinner where they get drunk and mock everyone who doesn't think like them.

Losers.

And here we have another brilliant commentary.

*Donald Trump is ripping this country to shreds. People who are susceptible to manipulation are starting to get creepy with their projection.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

But what about what.about.ism ?

😎🤦

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Losers.

*Donald Trump is ripping this country to shreds. People who are susceptible to manipulation are starting to get creepy with their projection.

So you're good with folks who share your ideology doing this.

Why am I not surprised.

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
👍 another phony balony outfit exposed !!

😀

Like the Wounded Warriors or the American Cancer Society or the Susan B. Komen foundation

link   

I agree. It's a waste of money and time.

Right Wing journalists go as well.

But I have to ask, why is it your business?

The money is generated from ticket sales and donations. You know, the people that go to get drunk and circle jerk pony-up the cash to do so and the donations are made by the free will of others.

Sounds like the Wounded Warrior Project and the BS they were pulling.

While we may think it is a waste, I'm not sure it is any of my business.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I agree. It's a waste of money and time.

YAY!

We agree!

I think the more we expose bullcrap "charities" like this one, the more people can become aware.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

All of these kind of events are leftist circle jerks.

Just look at the Oscars, grammies, mtv awards...

These are dirtbags that make millions of dollars playing make believe, or making terrible music or just pushing marxist agenda then get together dozens of times a year at these egotistical masturbation fests to give themselves awards and tell themselves how great they are.

If there is anything more narcissistic I don't know what it is.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

YAY!

We agree!

Well, stop the presses.

I think the more we expose bullcrap "charities" like this one, the more people can become aware.

People don't care.

Info such as this has been available for many years on most if not all charities.

People simply don't care.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Actually, this was the first year I've seen it that I thought it was awful. That wolf woman was wretched. In years past, it's been funny.

But you see, I don't care what they do. If they have a party and enjoy it, who cares. I just don't think it's interesting enough to be televised, and don't understand why they thought it was. They blundered. Let them have a little private soirée if they want. Who cares.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Sadly, this is the manner in which most of the big name charity organizations operate.

My oldest sister tried working in management for several before she settled in at a big megachurch, taking a hefty cut in pay.

Some quick digging around will show this is par for the course. Probably most often better off donating to lesser known charities or finding more direct ways to help those who may need it.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Losers.

More like an expose.

But you see, I don't care what they do. If they have a party and enjoy it, who cares. I just don't think it's interesting enough to be televised, and don't understand why they thought it was. They blundered. Let them have a little private soirée if they want. Who cares.

Sure. That's fine, but they are misleading donors into believing they are contributing to scholarships. Instead, they are spending it on themselves. That's fraud. Plus these donations are tax deductible. That's fraud as well. Nobody cares if they have a party, but they are being disingenuous about it. And people like you don't care.

edit on 5/7/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/7/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Who cares.

Obviously, you don't.

Which is fine.

If people want to lie and mislead and take money for their own enjoyment under the guise of charity and you don't care, you have that right.

I think it's scummy, low, base, vile. So I offer up this thread to further expose the utter hypocrisy.

By all means, don't participate if this bores you or doesn't interest you in any way.

Last time I checked, this is still a reletively free country.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

Sadly, this is the manner in which most of the big name charity organizations operate.

My oldest sister tried working in management for several before she settled in at a big megachurch, taking a hefty cut in pay.

Some quick digging around will show this is par for the course. Probably most often better off donating to lesser known charities or finding more direct ways to help those who may need it.

People either believe it, or they don't care.

Just like the charities already listed and even the Clinton Foundation. They are all just agencies of lies and legal ways to launder money.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

If they have a party and enjoy it, that's fine. The part that's unconscionable is when they claim "it's for charity" and then it really isn't because pretty much all of it is so they can continue to have their fancy party.

Nah, if they want to pony up and party. I don't care about that, but don't ask me to donate to help poor staving college students from underprivileged areas (or whatever song and dance) and then use almost all my donation to give yourself a big, fancy party.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

This is what they have to say of themselves and the event:

The WHCA supports several scholarships aimed at encouraging a new generation of reporters. It is for this that we host the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, which draws luminaries from politics, business, media, Hollywood and elsewhere to help the White House press corps raise money to give crucial financial assistance to journalism students at several institutions across the country.

They bring in some of the ones who recieve scholarships to be dazzled by the glitz and glamor to help maintain a somewhat thin aura of authenticity but really, they're just a bunch of grifters and con artists bringing the next class along.

More of the same.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

That´s sickening. From 300$ for the ticket, they spent 250$ on food and entertainment to celebrate how generous they are. 50$ for schoolarships.

I mean it´s not my business how much they spend on food and entertainment, what get´s me on the wrong foot is that they act like saints while they basically feast like kings and then spend 50$ for the cause.

I´m glad some publishers see this now.

James Finkelstein, chairman of the Hill, announced in a letter to Thomma Tuesday that his organization will no longer partake in the dinner moving forward because “in short, there’s simply no reason for us to participate in something that casts our profession in a poor light.”

Bill Grueskin, a faculty member at the Columbia Journalism School, one of the schools partnered with the WHCA’s scholarship program, tweeted on Sunday about the “utter worthlessness” of the dinner and the “fiction” that its “vital for the cause of journalism education.”

Although I ask myself, why now? It must have been known for some time. This reeks like damage prevention, too.

top topics

join