It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland moving toward independence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Will Greenland Join The Family Of Independent Nations?

Greenland’s election in late April was largely a vote on independence - a crucial and unifying issue. Whatever the ultimate composition of the ruling coalition, the secession from Denmark seems to be a foregone conclusion. Six out of seven political parties support the idea and they won. A referendum will also offer a thumbs-up. The Greenlandic people have been inspired by Iceland’s example and want to make their home, the largest island in the world, a member of the family of independent nations. Some suggest that independence could be declared by 2021.

I thought this was interesting. I appears that Greenland is moving towards declaring independence from Denmark in the near future. It makes sense, altho population-wise it would be a very small country. According to Wikipedia, Greenland only has about 56,000 people.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
In a hundred years it might be a destination and Quickly Grow to millions.
www.climatehotmap.org...
edit on 7-5-2018 by Plotus because: cool stuff

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

the first line made me LOL, thanks...i needed a laugh, its been a rough day

the first line says, "If we keep burning fossil fuels indefinitely..." now they moved to time frames that no one alive today will be around for. They cult has learned from i.e Gore's Doomday clock

It is also very negative, like mankind won't invent better sources of fuel. like humans are like...duh, we don't want to find better ways, and make boat loads of money while doing this

Go Greenland, Go

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
www.climatehotmap.org...

Greenland once was.....mostly for transients though

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Will Greenland Join The Family Of Independent Nations?

I thought this was interesting. I appears that Greenland is moving towards declaring independence from Denmark in the near future. It makes sense, altho population-wise it would be a very small country. According to Wikipedia, Greenland only has about 56,000 people.

Pretty much everyone in Denmark is "well, they can have it - but we are going to stop giving them money, then".

And it is sort of like what happened with the Faroe Islands - they wanteds complete independence, and we were like "sure, that's fair", but then they realized that we would of course stop supporting then financially, and then they were "uh, nevermind then".

Can't have it both ways

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
a reply to: Plotus

the first line made me LOL, thanks...i needed a laugh, its been a rough day

the first line says, "If we keep burning fossil fuels indefinitely..." now they moved to time frames that no one alive today will be around for. They cult has learned from i.e Gore's Doomday clock

It is also very negative, like mankind won't invent better sources of fuel. like humans are like...duh, we don't want to find better ways, and make boat loads of money while doing this

Go Greenland, Go

Oh there's lots of better kinds...they just don't get subsidised the way the oil industry does.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Yea but Greenlands ice is actually shrinking. Climate change is a thing, and humans are just making it worse, the trends are there. They also are saying that Britain is going to be back to Victorian style summers and winters again within' the next 30 years, and some parts of Canada will have longer winters than usual by then as well.

But, back on topic here. I am not surprised, from what I know Greenland has sort of been abandoned by most of Denmark's politics, they only use Greenland for probably a military base or two, other wise they pretty much are their own population. I am just wondering tho, how will they survive on their own?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

There are a couple problems with Greenland to do something like follow in Iceland's footsteps.

First is economic independence from the IMF. Everybody thought Iceland would crash and burn spectacularly if they threw off the yoke of international bankers. Yeah, their dollar tanked for 5 years or so but then a miracle happened, it began to bounce back! This must have made the IMF crap their pants!

Iceland could do that because of the second independence necessary: energy independence. Iceland turned their geo-thermal access into actual energy. Tourism helped and in the long term their economy turned a corner.

Greenland has none of this going for them. They are financed by Denmark at about 50% of their budget. They do not have energy independence so they are still under the whims and "terror" that oil giants throw at them. Climate change is not going to do anything better for them either. There is a bunch of military waste, from fuel to nuclear materials, buried under the ice sheet. The thought being it would stay frozen forever and never see the light of day. Now they are saying something like 2050 it could start to emerge (I posted it in Military Bases area along with the below). The US and Denmark have a treaty but what happens if Greenland goes it alone? Like all the other places, the US ignores it until they are taken to court... not a very good start to a country, huh?

Then, like Canada and Alaska, there is the "high latitude syndrome" of drugs and alcohol which is another mess. Luckily, it has not turned south like the Canadian First Nation Crisis a couple years ago where native peoples were committing suicide at an alarming rate with one community having 11 attempts in 1 day! But add in the environmental disaster and US apathy and feet dragging it could be as bad.

Then there is big, bad, China lurking. It is a big, bad, old world out there. I don't think there is enough political savvy for Greenland Independence at this time. My opinion.

Gizmodo.com - A Top-Secret US Military Base Will Melt Out of the Greenland Ice Sheet.
edit on 7-5-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This sounds like a good thing.. Maybe they will go proper OG.. Like in the before.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Hmmm, anyone's radar beeping on this one? Which nation is behind it? The U.S.? Russia? China? Perhaps even Canada?

An independent Greenland, no longer subject to Norway, can make agreements, accept cash, investments, etc., from anyone the locals choose.

I just saw a Youtube video that said the U.S. offered 100 million for the 'control' of Greenland in 1946. It was not accepted.

One of the quietest places on earth just burped...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
With a different climate and absence of glacier covering, there would be agricultural activity, huge areas that could support cities and an infrastructure A new world as it were, not yet polluted.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Petition to become a State.

We will treat you all much better than Dens. Ask Puerto Rico lol.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Lol, I dobt think Greenland will do it when they realize they wont get anymore money from us.

Sorry to say, but Greenland is not a nice place.

A "fun" fact, every month when they get their paycheck, the day after 30% of the workers dont come to work because they finally have money for beer. True story btw.

Goooo Greenland!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
www.climatehotmap.org...

Thanks for the excellent resource.

new topics

top topics

join