It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homogeneous: The Political Affiliations of Elite Liberal Arts College Faculty

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
a reply to: DBCowboy
BTW do you know that the battle of 5 de Mayo is the only one Mexico ever won ?

Thus the need for a National holiday.
Underachievement 101.
I don't think any French forces under Napoleon III ever won a battle.
edit on 7-5-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: seeker1963

I know what you mean I saw a video of hunters blowing up there 500 dollar yeti coolers blindly protesting there giving up the nra sponsorship.

I would love a cooler that could keep my deer meat cool for 24 hours in the field. I certainly wouldn't blow it up for politics.

I don't think you have a CLUE as to what I mean!

Oh I do you just think it doesn't happen on "your" side.

And who is "my side"?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have considered becoming a college professor or teacher since I already hold advanced degrees, but the idea of dealing with the politics of an educational institution gives me pause. One of the reasons I coach instead of teach is because I get to work with the students away from the ultra-liberal environment of the education system.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The one against the other one.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have considered becoming a college professor or teacher since I already hold advanced degrees, but the idea of dealing with the politics of an educational institution gives me pause. One of the reasons I coach instead of teach is because I get to work with the students away from the ultra-liberal environment of the education system.

Not all schools are ultra liberal. All schools are political internally which is just as bad when dealing with administration.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I hate everybody, so again, which side am I on?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Not all schools are ultra liberal. All schools are political internally which is just as bad when dealing with administration.

That was the OPs point. Most are ultra-liberal, however, there are some small areas that haven't fully succumbed to the cultural Marxism and liberal group think.

edit on 2018/5/7 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

That was the OPs point. Most are ultra-liberal, however, there are some small areas that haven't fully succumbed to the cultural Marxism and liberal group think.

Most schools are not ultra liberal.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You are against liberals. Look through your posts and the threads you make.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Most universities are in the US, as the evidence shows.

Please provide evidence for your claim though, I would be happy to read it if you have it.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You are against liberals. Look through your posts and the threads you make.

No! I am against Progressives! I agree with many things classical liberals believe in. Are you changing definitions? BTW? I made it a point to not bash Liberals as others have because I know there is a difference in being a liberal and a Progressive. Perhaps when I first joined ATS I bashed liberals but I then realized I had many things I agreed with them on, so I tried to make a point to not alienate them and I used the term Progressives. To be blunt? I despise Progressives! Let's put that on record and get it out of the way. Shall we?

Might want to get out your Chrystal ball and try again.
edit on 7-5-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Please provide evidence for your claim though, I would be happy to read it if you have it.

You provided some shady evidence.

Which schools? Religious schools? The law school? The medical school? Engineering? Business schools?

It UT liberal? University of South carolina?

What is ultra liberal?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

and that truly radical professors make up less than eight percent of the professoriate.[2]:7–9

books.google.com...

edit on 7-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

You provided some shady evidence.

Which schools? Religious schools? The law school? The medical school? Engineering? Business schools?

It UT liberal? University of South carolina?

What is ultra liberal?

Did you read the article, it answers these questions.

The schools were 51 of the top 66 liberal art schools in the country.

It did show that military schools, although still more democrat than republican, were much more reasonable.

Did you watch the video I posted from Peterson and Haidt?

They discuss how studies have been done for decades on this, how it use to be something like 2 to 3 dems to republicans and has gradually been getting worse to the point where it is now.

Humorously, you praise peterson earlier, but are now somehow claiming he apparently has been duped when he is discussing how horrible universities are in that they are almost exclusively left leaning.

Just saying "Your study is wrong" while providing no reason or study of your own is not an argument.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Sure I gave you links.

However it's confirmation bias to go into a study to prove schools are ultra liberal.

And it's not been proven by any means it's true.

Again one of the most comprehensive surveys by an actual sociologist showed about 9 percent of professors are radical.

Liberal arts schools, the top ones are not all universities. Not even close.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So you are against progressives?

OK cool!

Personally as a classical liberal I make it a point to treat people as individuals and object to ideas that are authoritarian. Which radical progressives can sometimes have. As can conservatives who favor theocracy.

Sometimes progressives have ccl's and go to the range but just believe in universal Healthcare..

I find its better to try, though hard, to not immediately assume the worst in people.
edit on 7-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Your own study from the people saying that the other studies were done with conservatove bias show a huge bias to left wing professors.

Known as the Politics of the American Professoriate (PAP) survey, Gross and Simmons' survey was unlike other recent studies in that it received a relatively high response rate of 51%, corrected for response bias, and surveyed a large sample of nearly 3.000 scholars from representative institutions.[6]:21–24 Gross and Simmons concluded that 44% of their respondents could be classified as liberals, 46% as moderates, and 9 percent as conservatives.[6]:25–26 In terms of party affiliation, 51% of respondents were Democrats, 36 percent were Independents, and 14 percent were Republicans. Gross and Simmons compared this data to the Gallup poll, which found that 34% of Americans were Democrats, 34% were independents, and 30% were Republicans in 2006, concluding that "Democrats are doing better inside than outside academe by a margin of about 16 percentage points."[6]:29

This was in 2006, and looked at 3000 scholars.

The study from the OP looked at more than 8000 faculty, and looked at their party registration, so there is no room for misinterpeting.

It found that 40 percent of the universities looked at did not have one republican teaching.

Again, Peterson who you praised seems to disagree with you.

Your own study shows a huge bias.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Peterson is pointing out radical examples. The study I linked was from 2013.

Where was your study published?

What does being a Democrat have to do with ultra radical liberals?

Is baylor ultra liberal?

Texas tech?

Your study does not in anyway even suggest most universities are ultra liberal.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Your source material is suspect:

The National Association of Scholars (NAS) is a non-profit organization in the United States that opposes multiculturalism and affirmative action and seeks to counter what it considers a "liberal bias" in academia.

[1] In 2010 and 2011, its president was espousing climate contrarianism under the group's auspices, with no evident expertise in the climate science field.

[2] The Association's officers are not answerable to its membership: according to its 2009 IRS Form 990 (Part VI Section A), the Association doesn't have members (line 6), members don't elect the officers (line 7a), and the decisions of the governing body are not subject to members' approval (line 7b).[3] Mid-2000s IRS filings also indicate that the Association was controlled by 0 or 1 person.

www.sourcewatch.org...

Now I would agree that certain non-liberal (as I assume you define it) do actually have ideological tests for facility.

'Big Business' supported 'science' departments are less overt but don't support departments that research and teach against their corporate agenda.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
The study seems sound to me; it uses publicly available date based on the political party these faculty are registered under.

Perhaps you have a study from what you consider a reputable source?

So far another study posted from 2006 said 9% of faculty are Republican, still very troubling.

Here is a study using the Higher education research institute.

For example, as the graph shows, in the 15 years between 1995 and 2010, the American academy went from leaning left to being almost entirely on the left. Similar trends and problems are occurring in the UK and Canada, and to a lesser extent in Australia.

Data from Higher Education Research Institute, based on a survey of college faculty conducted every other year since 1989. Plotted by HxA member Sam Abrams of Sarah Lawrence College.

heterodoxacademy.org...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So you are against progressives?

OK cool!

Personally as a classical liberal I make it a point to treat people as individuals and object to ideas that are authoritarian. Which radical progressives can sometimes have. As can conservatives who favor theocracy.

Sometimes progressives have ccl's and go to the range but just believe in universal Healthcare..

I find its better to try, though hard, to not immediately assume the worst in people.

When Progressives try to bring hate speech laws to the US and subvert our 1st? Yep, hate em! When they attack the 2nd? Yep, hate em!

I will fight to my death for the rights I have that others are trying to take away!

Good enough for ya??

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join