It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty California Cop Pulls Gun on Guy Buying Mentos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:
(post by CB328 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

This looks staged or at least odd.. watch it again.

The behaviour of the ''victim'' and the other two characters looks unatural... like bad actors.

The officer should first show his badge before his firearm.

Weird

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

For those unfamiliar with firearms (which isn't exactly a cardinal sin, or anything), this sort of thing can seem like a good idea.

The problems arise when it comes to actually pulling it off. Shooting at the feet, specifically, can actually introduce some variables that are wildly hard to predict, much less control. That small piece of metal is traveling at a pretty substantial speed and if it hits the ground.. the ricochet is downright dangerous along with any debris that might get kicked up.

Shooting limbs is extraordinarily difficult. Not only are they relatively small targets, they also tend to move a lot.

All this results in the maxim that one should never point a firearm at something, or someone, that one doesn't intend to shoot. There is always the chance to backdown until the round leaves the chamber, but using it for something like intimidation is highly problematic.

Situations like the one in the OP are, in my opinion, the result of a police force that tends to attract a certain crowd and encourage power-tripping tendencies.

The issue becomes even more conflated by everything from media coverage to bias in several directions. Its a really tricky topic in my opinion, and it seems that frequently, the most divisive, unclear incidents gets airtime priority.

In this case, at least taken at face value, it seems abundantly clear that something went awry with this particular officer. That could be anything from a bad day to systemic issues on either the local or national level. None of which make it even remotely acceptable, but it does make it difficult to address.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The off duty cop should have just shot the guy. He probably would have gotten in less trouble if he had just shot him and said he feared for his life cause he thought the Mentos was a gun.
I want to say that was sarcasm, but sadly it isnt.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Meh, that's the #hole London, my constabulary is Devon and Cornwall, the largest geographical police area in England and least resourced. We have two armed response vehicles on duty at any given time on the road, you really have to make an effort to be shot by cops here.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

For those unfamiliar with firearms

Yes, I always stare right down the barrel when I handle them before I use them for hunting. As a german I never saw a gun, never heard of them and I don´t know really what they are doing.

Geez.

Why was your first conclusion I am unfamilar with firearms? What I wrote above is what German Police does and it works. I´m not saying it´s better, I was asking a genuine question.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

It is just not in America, it seems sworn police are being used to evict people from their homes. They are just Corporate
bullies now, time to watch out

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: notsure1

It's not semantics, but it's very telling that you would refer to the reality of the situation as such, and call out another poster like you did. Brandishing a weapon and actually pointing it at someone are two completely different things, and are even covered by completely different laws in every state that I've looked at over the years.

But, hey, way to deflect yet again. It's okay to admit that you were wrong in calling out Bone75 the way that you did, and it's okay to cite that the verbiage used and the claim in the story is hyperbole at best and a falsity at worst.

Is it hubris, or what?

That's a serious question.

Wtf are you talking about? How is me asking him if that was normal to him calling him out?

But way to defend this idiot cop for pulling his gun because he never actually pointed it at him

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Looks pointed at him to me. Its ok to admit you were wrong and being a complete >>>>>>>> And BTW you sound like one of those childish liberals with your its ok to admit BS LMAO.

edit on 8-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Maybe the member is a cop and is just butt hurt because you know, cops are never wrong?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

As a point of interest Police forces were invented just after the New Poor Law act was brought in around 1840 ish, because they thought they were going to get a rebellion in the south. Previous to the Act poor peoples income was topped up during times when the work wasn't their. But this act brought in the 'Workhouses' where the idea was to make things so harsh they wouldn't want to enter. They have always been bastards and always will.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

It is just not in America, it seems sworn police are being used to evict people from their homes. They are just Corporate
bullies now, time to watch out

Of course they are, they are the domestic enforcement arm of corporations, they are cracking down hard here in oz as well, going after revenue any way they can. It's getting ugly in the western world .

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Lol Britain seems to be the place to go then, we've lost over 20,000 cops due to budget cuts over the last few years.
I'd phone a mate first for a faster response in an emergency and after that I'd phone 999.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Most of my family live in the U. K. I'm familiar with what it's like, I can't stand the weather though so I think I will stay here, I can swim in ocean for at least 10 months of the year .

I agree with not calling the cops though, they are no longer here to protect us they are here to enslave and punish us, our highway patrol cups are all on quotas, and the beat cops all want to be highway cops so they get the flash car and hand out tickets all day as opposed to dealing with domestic situations, which as a cop is understandable, for me though I couldn't be a cop I have morals and a conscience.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Don´t pay up stuff you get evicted.

I lost a huge summ of money because someone "rented" my house for two years, never paid a single cent and destroyed most of the utilities and installations that were in there.

It was a two year long struggle that cost me nerves, HUGE summ of money that I earned with hard work. I wished that here you could use the police to evict such leeches. Eventually she fled at 5am in the morning but I followed her to get her new adress.

Still waiting on the money through court.

There are places where you can get help if you can´t pay your bills. You know, maybe the family that rents out the house also has a sick child and they need the money, too?

Just that they had earned their stuff before.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

One minute, Jose Arreola was buying a pack of Mentos at an Orange County service station.

The next minute, he was at the business end of a gun

That is false. The gun was never pointed at him. Why do cop haters always have to exaggerate?

If he points it like that at a range, the range master would warn him.

I would probably leave the range after witnessing it.

Its pointed in an unsafe direction.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

High court enforcement agents do the work here in the UK, they can force entry and seize property.
The cops only back them up if they've been called when people are being violent, they do not assist the agents in gaining entry.
There are some funny vids on YouTube where cops are watching and laughing because the agents are struggling to gain entry when the property has been fortified.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Yeah that's a bit of a grey area, we the people lose no matter which side of the money you are on, I've seen it happen, you rent your house out and it gets trashed there's not a great deal you can do about it and often have to wait years to recoup the money if ever.

Like I've said before were just numbers on a screen and in the big scheme of it we mean nothing to our corporate masters.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

His name alone suggests mints were required ...

Intent is obvious ...

Ariola ...

Hola !

edit on 8-5-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join