It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty California Cop Pulls Gun on Guy Buying Mentos

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

What a prick cop, I imagine I would have been shot because I would have called him a #ing prick.
You can call cops pricks in the UK if they are being one, and without fear of being shot.
Land of the free my arse.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

This guy should now be the owner of that police officer's house and his next several months worth of paychecks.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

For real!! but legally what could he do, the cop did a mea culpa , then again I ain't no lawyer.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well thank God it wasn't something else.

"Snickers!!" bambambambambam

Officer : "I feared for my life"

Police Chief : "Officer Dimwit defended himself and the poor store owner from who knows what evil fate from this hungry madman...'cause, you know, you're not yourself when you're hungry"

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

He held that gun like a thug ready to rob the store himself. Sure didn't act normal, how hard would it be to ask the checkout guy first whether it was paid for, what did he think the guy was doing at the counter.

I think there may be something wrong with that guy.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

He just had a bad day maybe?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

This seems like something Barney Fife would have done on the Andy Griffith show. Maybe they should find this lunatic a nice desk job somewhere.

Or maybe he should go into a line of work that makes the public safer, like a tire store. Or he can be a prison guard and still get his anger out on people, except no one cares about inmates.

Isn't this assault with a deadly weapon? Can one even be a cop if you assaulted someone with a deadly weapon?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

What a prick cop, I imagine I would have been shot because I would have called him a #ing prick.
You can call cops pricks in the UK if they are being one, and without fear of being shot.
Land of the free my arse.

What about this thread? www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't know seems to be the way it is everywhere. I am sure I could find many reports everywhere.

innocent Brazilian man killed by London police

The details of the number of rounds emptied into the 27-year-old Brazilian electrician after his pursuit through Stockwell station by an armed plainclothes squad emerged at the opening of an inquest in London on Monday. Simultaneously the Independent Police Complaints Commission launched an inquiry into the shooting. Southwark coroner's court heard that Mr De Menezes, who arrived in Britain three years ago on a student visa, had been on the way to a job in Kilburn, northwest London, when he was challenged and pursued by armed police.

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 7-5-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

It's not semantics, but it's very telling that you would refer to the reality of the situation as such, and call out another poster like you did. Brandishing a weapon and actually pointing it at someone are two completely different things, and are even covered by completely different laws in every state that I've looked at over the years.

But, hey, way to deflect yet again. It's okay to admit that you were wrong in calling out Bone75 the way that you did, and it's okay to cite that the verbiage used and the claim in the story is hyperbole at best and a falsity at worst.

Is it hubris, or what?

That's a serious question.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
The man had given the clerk money. It's paid for, he can put it in his pocket. Just because many wait for a bag or put their money up first doesn't make it wrong or overly odd. It's a pocket size item.

In Ca you are not a shoplifter until you go out the door anyway. You can forget and put something in your pocket or just in your hand especially if your old or ill.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Here, you´re highly suspicious when you put stuff in your pockets before you´ve been at the cashier. Bags or baskets no problem. I also feel uncomfortable when put something away to have both hands free for a second. Maybe it has to do that my parents had a small shop and that´s what shoplifters do.

Because their shop was so small, there would be no excuse to not put it on the table/desk/whatever such a thing is called.
edit on 7-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So what would have happened if an armed citizen shot the guy who pulled the gun thinking his life was in danger and thought the off duty cop was trying to rob the store? Justifiable?

I suppose its how the court decides.
edit on 7-5-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If a person pointed a firearm toward an officer in the way this cop did, I am willing to bet it would be considered pointed at the officer.

Could be the cop was indicating he would just cap the man's knee if he didn't comply.
edit on 5/7/2018 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

If a person pointed a firearm toward an officer in the way this cop did, I am will to bet it would be considered pointed at the officer.

Could be the cop was indicating he would just cap the man's knee if he didn't comply.

There's a good chance that if you just removed it from your holster that you'd be sufficiently ventilated when they were done.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Quick question, is there a similar law that police must aim for the feet first and before that announce that he´s going to shoot? This law is nullified when police get´s return fire, return fire is to be expected or others in immediate danger.

Then they can aim for the lethal spots.

Not judging anything, just asking if there is something similar in the USA.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Quick question, is there a similar law that police must aim for the feet first and before that announce that he´s going to shoot?

No, they are trained to shoot until the threat stops moving so they aim center mass.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

If a person pointed a firearm toward an officer in the way this cop did, I am willing to bet it would be considered pointed at the officer.

Cops have shot unarmed people because they look like they were reaching for something, like their wallet.
Pull a gun, they will shoot you.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ha, he is lucky that was not in Texas.

He would have gotten killed before he could say "i'm an off duty police officer"

i would have dropped him when I saw the pistol come out, dude not only looks like a robber, but dressed like one too!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

a reply to: verschickter

Seem the cop is observing some of time but misses the original part of the sale. He just concludes it is shop lifting.

Wonder it that happens often with him.

Yeah like he keeps saying take your change and go...change for what he should have asked himself. he knew the guy paid for something so where was his purchase..oh yeah the mints!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But this is not just some local problem it is nation wide..

How so? Links?

Ah yes, it must not be true if someone doesn't provide an internet link. Are you just playing semantics with 'nation wide'? I'm assuming you'll get the same results I get searching google for yourself, that police pulling their guns on unarmed people of color is happening all over the country, often with deadly results, more and more often.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join