It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty California Cop Pulls Gun on Guy Buying Mentos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

One minute, Jose Arreola was buying a pack of Mentos at an Orange County service station.

The next minute, he was at the business end of a gun drawn by an off-duty Buena Park police officer who thought Arreola had stolen the $1.19 roll of mints.
www.ocregister.com...

Haven't seen a thread on this so ah donno if it's out there already.
But daaang!! we need some kind of police reform, really!! we can't go on like this, check the vid, how is it possible a weapon was drawn on a civilian like that, he was out of uniform too so no one knew who was this random mfkr with a gun really is, it could have gone south in all kind of ways.
edit on 7-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I saw this yesterday. The police chief said action would be taken if the investigation shows he was in the wrong, and I cannot imagine it would not since drawing your service weapon for a potential shoplifting case is beyond being a hotdog.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But this is not just some local problem it is nation wide..

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

He had no reason to draw the weapon.

From what I saw, if there had been a need to draw the weapon... the cop would have been shot, as the handgun hung up in his jacket pocket. The dude should get a holster for his off duty weapon.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

How so? Links?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The police man could have asked the clerk first if he paid for the gum. He still would have time to go cop on the man.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Spider879

How so? Links?

Actually I can, may do so later.
edit on 7-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Oh now, everyone knows Mentos are a gateway drug.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
That was a pathetic display of ‘policing’. I am sure LEOs everywhere are embarrassed by this moron for giving them a bad name.

Even if he had taken them are you really willing to kill someone for stealing freaking Mentos?

edit on 2018/5/7 by Metallicus because: Space

+4 more 
posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

And with some soda, an explosive device. Why do they even allow sales.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

This seems like something Barney Fife would have done on the Andy Griffith show. Maybe they should find this lunatic a nice desk job somewhere.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

This seems like something Barney Fife would have done on the Andy Griffith show. Maybe they should find this lunatic a nice desk job somewhere.

You with the Mentos, don't move while I put this bullet in my pistol.

I wonder if the clerk had an Oh Crap moment since the man was between him and the cop.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Well he did say "My apologies" so that makes intimidating a law abiding citizen legally purchasing an item with cash, alright.

He was under duress, you know. All the stress of dealing with mentos stealing culprits all day and night. It takes it's toll. He's only human after all.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

To change a national problem you have to start locally.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain
He was under duress, you know. All the stress of dealing with mentos stealing culprits all day and night. It takes it's toll. He's only human after all.

He may very well have been dealing with PTSD from all the jaywalkers that I'm certain he was seeing on his patrols.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This sounds like a spoof of mentos commercial;

Dodododo dodo dowaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Just as the cop draws his gun, the dude turns around and flicks a mentos in his face, the cop laughs as the scene pauses back to the dude with the mentos... 'mentos, the fresh maker'.
edit on 7-5-2018 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: SummerRain

He may very well have been dealing with PTSD from all the jaywalkers that I'm certain he was seeing on his patrols.

Jay walkers and loiterers must be the conundrum police officers like this deal with on a daily basis. "Is he walking, or standing still. Damn it, I just don't know anymore." *draws gun*

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

don't you think it's a realistic possibility, that the cop thought the other guy who was leaning on the counter, with the cigarette, was with the guy who bought the Mentos?

Usually the only time you see two people at the counter is when they know each other. two on one, isn't really the best way to control the situation, two on one but the one has a gun, is a good way to control the situation.

Also, next time you go to the gas station, watch when someone buys something. They usually, don't put things straight into a pocket. Most times that happens, is when someone is stealing something.

I don't think the cop handled the situation correctly, but I can see the steps he took to get where he ended up.

The article made a point of saying how much the mints costs. At what price point is it ok to pull a gun?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Really difficult to defend the actions of this LEO. I simply can't find any reason given what facts we do know for this cop to pull his gun at all.

As a teen, I remember being shadowed by security/employees in local stores because shoplifing by kids was rather rampant in our little town, but never once was I confronted, much less had a weapon pulled on me.

Guy could have asked the clerk, or called in an on-duty officer to handle things properly, instead of going full on bad-cop on an innocent guy. A weak-arsed apology doesn't fly here. The customer could have been shot if things had gone badly. Sorry won't fix that, nor should it absolve the cop of blame. He needs punishment and re-training, period.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
At what price point is it ok to pull a gun?

When the price is your life in danger. Not for candy.

No matter how much candy that may be, in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join