It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I post my life story?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I've got one hell of tale to tell about my early life. My stepfather was a major drug trafficker. I went from rags to riches back to rags. I'm 40 years old and the first 20 years of my life were a complete train wreck. I would like to tell my life story but I'm not sure what is acceptable on ATS. I saw more things in the first 20 years of my life then most people have in 10 lifetimes. If I told it I would like to keep it within the sites rules. I'd hate to type it all up only to get it deleted. Could I get a top 5 things to avoid while typing it? My step dad has been dead for 15 years.
edit on 7-5-2018 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I would be very careful about what I share on ATS. These are strangers, you know. And why share. Maybe it would be more cathartic to keep a journal. And safer. The internet is not private.
edit on 7-5-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
I would be very careful about what I share on ATS. These are strangers, you. And why share. Maybe it would be more catartic to keep a journal. And safer. The internet is not private.
Yeah maybe you're right.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

No. You aren't special.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

If you think it will be therapeutic or offer a beacon of hope to others in bad situations then write it , just avoid specifics.
Perhaps run it by a friendly Mod before you publish to ensure it is not deleted.

I hope there was light at the end of your tunnel and your experiences made you a better person than you perhaps could have been given the circumstances.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso
I have to agree with Justo on this one.

If you later still want to publish it, I would run it by a lawyer before presenting it to the public.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Post it under short stories.

Then It is just fiction and comes with plausible deniability.

I would love to read it if you care to post it here.

edit on 2018/5/7 by Metallicus because: Eta

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Best idea ^^^^ It's not who dies with the most toys, it's who dies with the best stories......

link   

link   

Oh, do tell!

To your question...top 5 things to avoid...

1. T&C's are pretty clear, definitely look at them (they govern over any other thing I could say)
2. Drug use and threats of violence are a no-no, unless they are presented in a historically accurate context. (i.e. this happened vs. I'm going to do this, etc.)
3. Personally, I'd recommend leaving out actual names and specific locations (i.e. lived in the city of (x) vs. lived at 12345 Main St., Podunk, Dumperville 98765)
4. If it's illegal, it should be presented as such, and not cast in a favorable light. It's wrong and needs to be presented that way.
5. Graphic details are probably best left out (i.e. she was a sexy woman, versus, chrome and trailer hitches, etc.). (Gawd, I wish I could write that one out, I crack up every time I hear it).

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I’d say post away

That said if your looking for blind acceptance and sympathy you may be disappointed, there’s a few thousand members and probably double that in opinions, not everyone will like what your saying.

Think on your motivators for sharing then either share or don’t..... but I say share

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
ATS is loaded with antagonists who's single goal seems to be ...... well you can guess...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

If you believe you have a truly interesting life story, write it down, but don't share it here. Get it published, shop a movie deal, a TV option.
Write a short novel, a screen play, a stage play, a treatment for television.
Then figure out who you know. Someone will know someone with a connection in the industry.

Sharing it here will bring what? Commentary? Who needs it. Sounds like you need an income. Once you've published it here, publishers won't touch it. At least publish it as a serial on your own blog or look into serializing it on a podcast.

Drugs are "trendy" at this moment, so if you can find a way to contrast and compare and relate with today's drug culture, even better.

One last thing...are you a good writer? Yes? Great, get an editor. No? Who cares, get an even better editor.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

ATS is loaded with antagonists who's single goal seems to be ...... well you can guess...

What, look in your underwear...what?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I've got 9 hours to kill before I can leave work.
Spill your guts.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

How about writing a screenplay or a t.v. series.
With some of the crap on tv today you couldn't do anything but improve the show quality.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I feel like this should be handled with much care. Read the T&C like three times before posting. Also give a draft to a mod and see what they say. Donttreadonme would be wise but all of them know their shiz. I do hope to read this story though so get the kinks worked out.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Nah. It was a response that was going to be said. I just got it out of the way.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
NVM
edit on 7-5-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I've got one hell of tale to tell about my early life. My stepfather was a major drug trafficker. I went from rags to riches back to rags. I'm 40 years old and the first 20 years of my life were a complete train wreck. I would like to tell my life story but I'm not sure what is acceptable on ATS. I saw more things in the first 20 years of my life then most people have in 10 lifetimes. If I told it I would like to keep it within the sites rules. I'd hate to type it all up only to get it deleted. Could I get a top 5 things to avoid while typing it? My step dad has been dead for 15 years.

Write it off-site... Post it on GOOGLE BLOGGER... share a description and a link to the blog. BLOGGER is free and easy.

I have done this... and you really don't know any of our 300,000+ members.

Good luck
edit on 7-5-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join