It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Russia becomes a part of EU/NATO?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Neither..

Russia kinda can’t become a part of NATO.. well atleast NATO was invented to combat russia..

Without a russia there is no need for NATO.. atleast until another competitor surfaces..

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
i make popcorn
hey! its an serious answer!

link   

edit on 6-5-2018 by humanoidlord because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Instead of being rude or condescending, I'll play along.

NATO was formed to counter the USSR, but the USSR no longer exists. In theory, NATO should've disbanded after the USSR collapsed. But now, it's mainly seen as a counter to Russia. In other words, I don't really see how all of Russia could join NATO. I guess a breakaway province in western Russia could probably try to join NATO after declaring independence, but in all likelihood that would lead to all out war from Russia.

As for Russia joining the EU, that would be interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have a large enough understanding of the EU to answer this intelligently. So I'll move on to the next one.

Lets say Russia was some how was annexed

Annexed by who? The EU and NATO aren't countries and they don't have their own land. To my understanding, the member countries contribute troops and funds to back those organizations. So who would even be able to annex Russia in this situation?

and become apart of NATO or allowed to join EU under EU.

I'd guess that it would be impossible for Russia to join NATO because of what I mentioned earlier. But with my limited knowledge of the EU's workings, I have my suspicions that Russia would be allowed to join the EU under certain extreme circumstances. I'd assume that those circumstances would include a long probationary period, the existing membership requirements/delays/dues, additional energy & security guarantees, and probably a guarantee that Russia would switch over to the Euro as the ultimate proof of their intentions. But like I said, I don't really know enough about the EU to comment intelligently on this one.

What is it going to be like in Asia?

Hmmm... Are you referring to Russia's current regional alliances, like the CSTO & the SCO? If so, this could be an interesting situation. Best case scenario, those countries would keep their current alliances with Russia and the entire world would inch a lot closer to total peace and prosperity.

But the pessimist in me thinks that those countries would break their current agreements with Russia, basically forcing Russia to choose Europe over them. We're talking pipelines, trade deals, cultural and political alliances, immigration deals, etc. Russia right now is like one of the 2 kings of Asia (along with China). But under the pessimistic version of these events, joining the EU would likely reduce them to a pariah in Asia and a whipped & untrusted 2nd class citizen in Europe (that's probably exaggerating but whatever).

What will happen to all the Chinatown, etc?

What do you mean? Are you referring to Chinese-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In China?

We all know all the Jap towns have died under US influence.

What do you mean? Are you referring to Japanese-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In Japan? (And fyi: "Jap town" sounds pretty derogatory)

Pretty sure Indian towns wouldn't exist either.

What do you mean? Are you referring to Indian-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In India?
edit on 6-5-2018 by enlightenedservant because: typos

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Instead of being rude or condescending, I'll play along.

NATO was formed to counter the USSR, but the USSR no longer exists. In theory, NATO should've disbanded after the USSR collapsed. But now, it's mainly seen as a counter to Russia. In other words, I don't really see how all of Russia could join NATO. I guess a breakaway province in western Russia could probably try to join NATO after declaring independence, but in all likelihood that would lead to all out war from Russia.

As for Russia joining the EU, that would be interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have a large enough understanding of the EU to answer this intelligently. So I'll move on to the next one.

Lets say Russia was some how was annexed

Annexed by who? The EU and NATO aren't countries and they don't have their own land. To my understanding, the member countries contribute troops and funds to back those organizations. So who would even be able to annex Russia in this situation?

and become apart of NATO or allowed to join EU under EU.

I'd guess that it would be impossible for Russia to join NATO because of what I mentioned earlier. But with my limited knowledge of the EU's workings, I have my suspicions that Russia would be allowed to join the EU under certain extreme circumstances. I'd assume that those circumstances would include a long probationary period, the existing membership requirements/delays/dues, additional energy & security guarantees, and probably a guarantee that Russia would switch over to the Euro as the ultimate proof of their intentions. But like I said, I don't really know enough about the EU to comment intelligently on this one.

What is it going to be like in Asia?

Hmmm... Are you referring to Russia's current regional alliances, like the CSTO & the SCO? If so, this could be an interesting situation. Best case scenario, those countries would keep their current alliances with Russia and the entire world would inch a lot closer to total peace and prosperity.

But the pessimist in me thinks that those countries would break their current agreements with Russia, basically forcing Russia to choose Europe over them. We're talking pipelines, trade deals, cultural and political alliances, immigration deals, etc. Russia right now is like one of the 2 kings of Asia (along with China). But under the pessimistic version of these events, joining the EU would likely reduce them to a pariah in Asia and a whipped & untrusted 2nd class citizen in Europe (that's probably exaggerating but whatever).

What will happen to all the Chinatown, etc?

What do you mean? Are you referring to Chinese-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In China?

We all know all the Jap towns have died under US influence.

What do you mean? Are you referring to Japanese-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In Japan? (And fyi: "Jap town" sounds pretty derogatory)

Pretty sure Indian towns wouldn't exist either.

What do you mean? Are you referring to Indian-majority districts or towns in Russia? In the US? In Europe? In India?

They say Chinatown is pretty much dying. When I say annexed, I really mean annexed to be apart of NATO or EU. Regime change, etc. Doesn't matter who as long as it was forced to merged. With this we can see it in China's or India's door step. I can totally see it though because the one near me is practically taken over by other companies like Mcdonalds, Burger King, etc.

Chinatown dying in Australia

edit on 6-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

No , Just no
"Peaceniks" were the "beatnicks" of the hippie generation that wore tie-died Peace T-Shirts and promoted world peace
Go on , either ask me how I know or edit your post.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Are we screwed? or Completely screwed?

Lets say Russia was some how was annexed and become apart of NATO or allowed to join EU under EU.
What is it going to be like in Asia? What will happen to all the Chinatown, etc? We all know all the Jap towns have died under US influence. Pretty sure Indian towns wouldn't exist either.
Then it's April 1st, and you got pranked.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
What? The whole point of Nato was the counter the USSR and the warsaw pact countries. I dont know about Russia joining the EU. That seems pretty unlikely, giving the stance of the EU leaders in Germany and France. But there is a snowballs chance in hell that Russia will EVER join Nato or be allowed to join Nato.

Sometimes i wonder, the things you guys come up with...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
NATO's role post Cold War is still relevant as a political and military organisation.

While Russia has positioned themselves as an adversary to the developed world, they are not the only reason that NATO exists. In deed, at one point back in the early 2000 when the there was hope in Russia, there was talk (by Putin himself) of Russia joining NATO. For many years up until the Crimea annexation and belligerence in Ukraine, Russia was part of a NATO co-op group.

Today, NATO is the wall that ensures if Russia attempted to destabilise or militarily threaten a member nation, such as a Baltic State (which have a history of Russian invasion / occupation), they will have to face NATO. Article 5 acts as a deterrent to Russian bad behaviour.

Anyway, to lift the veil of confusion, this is the current role of NATO. From the horses mouth - NATO

POLITICAL - NATO promotes democratic values and enables members to consult and cooperate on defence and security-related issues to solve problems, build trust and, in the long run, prevent conflict.
MILITARY - NATO is committed to the peaceful resolution of disputes. If diplomatic efforts fail, it has the military power to undertake crisis-management operations. These are carried out under the collective defence clause of NATO's founding treaty - Article 5 of the Washington Treaty or under a United Nations mandate, alone or in cooperation with other countries and international organisations.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Ok, but how is a political change in Russia going to affect the numerous Chinese-majority districts ("Chinatowns") around the world? I see no correlation between the 2 things.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

originally posted by: Cutepants

All the Chinatowns in Asia? Like, Chinese areas in eastern Russian cities? And the EU is going to make them go away?

Everywhere. We do have white people hating on Asians like the past.

No, there's at least one Chinese restaurant in every small town in Canada.
We're not letting that go

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Ok, but how is a political change in Russia going to affect the numerous Chinese-majority districts ("Chinatowns") around the world? I see no correlation between the 2 things.

The antagonization of China since year 2000/Bush Era. Got lots of news article to catch up bro. Makes a huge difference. Should have seen the past where white country men attack Chinese immigrants and destroying the first China towns. You know what US did in WW2. Putting all Asians in camps due to fear of Japanese attack. This can happen in WW3.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

This guy is talking sense, the rest are dis info and didn't catch up to the Political Warfare Game.

Putin even suggested to joining NATO himself.
www.rt.com...

Got these two from wiki.

NATO renamed after Russia joins. Everyone here is talking crap to me. oh, Russia can't join NATO. Its not possible for Russia to join. Start digging history guys because you are behind in times.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The whole POINT OF NATO is to defend AGAINST Russia, so your post is pointless. Yeah, Russia has loved to be friendly, like when they occupied the Baltic states and had walls up to keep people IN. As far as reading history goes, Russia and Germany had plans to conquer and divide and rule Europe between them early on in World War 2, and until Germany betrayed them and attacked them, Russia was allying itself with Germany (a reason I have little sympathy for the Russians during the war, though humans are humans and they didn't make the Pact, but they were more than prepared to conquer and rule). Russia has amazing amounts of resources but there is just something wrong with the people it seems. They should thrive, but fall far short. Dictatorial rule seems to be their preference, and a false bravado to cover their self defeating insecurity has sent them into a tailspin. They worry more about Europe than China, when China drools over the resources of the Far East and has the population to fill it, unlike the Russians. Really kinda sad and pathetic.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

Yes, people (esp. Russians) tend to forget that Russia allied with Nazi Germany for the first two years of WW2, and conspired to calve Europe up, leading to (for example) the joint invasion of Poland and the Russian occupation and repression of the Baltic states.

Over the last 20 years Russia has left the democracy boat behind, so would not be able to join NATO even if they wanted to, although for a good part of that journey they were part of some of the political mechanisms of NATO.
edit on 8/5/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join