It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Stares at Water Crisis Urgent Steps Needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
economictimes.indiatimes.com...

As the proverbial Indian summer sets in and taps dry up across large swathes of the country, India faces an acute shortage of safe and sustainable water, specifically groundwater, a crisis that will exacerbate with factors like indiscriminate use and climate change, warn experts.

The issue of water sustainability for the years to come centres around critical water sources such as reservoirs and groundwater.

most of us know about water shortages in Africa (and the western USA) but didn't realize India having so much trouble

India's huge groundwater-dependent population, uncertain climate-reliant recharge processes and indiscriminate land use changes with urbanization are among the many factors that have "rendered the Indian groundwater scenario to become a global paradigm for water scarcity, for both quantity and quality", Mukherjee told PTI.

and I understand they've had food issues for many many years

problem with groundwater, it takes a long long time to replenish.

really wish we had a cheap desalinization process.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
India should've accepted China's offer on clean tech and follow her example on ban of wastes.

en.wikipedia.org...

I bet there is a huge plastic pile somewhere blocking up the river from coming down. Indian Gov is so stupid, it deserves to get taken over one day.

edit on 6-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Their government needs to contact the UK to find out how to recycle the plastics into roads. California could help explain how the dealt with their water shortage. Air tanks in the toilet tanks. Use birth control. Recycle, reduce, reuse, donate. compost. Make new production of plastics illegal. Desalinate the ocean. Time to grow up and get a plan.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I think this is an important issue. I did a thread on it awhile back, but real issues get buried by the political tomfoolery.

Luckily, Cape Town has averted a monumental crisis....for now.
www.reuters.com...

India is hell bent on being a world economic power and don't give a hoot about the environment, pollution, or the lower classes. Much like the rest of the West in the late 1800's. Its why they haven't given any money to that worthless world pollution forum thingy.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

wow, what a mess!

And it's not even coming from those townfolk either I bet. More than likely some developer in the City wants those living there to move out and they know that all the rubbish ends up in that Town. Or the people in the City don't care that it ends up there, its not affecting them.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Sorry, you think China has water pollution, and pollution in general figured out? They are two of the most polluted countries in the world.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What does it tell you about humans that we will have things like the Manhattan Project to fast forward the development of nuclear weapons but no project on a similar scale to figure out affordable desalination?

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
What does it tell you about humans that we will have things like the Manhattan Project to fast forward the development of nuclear weapons but no project on a similar scale to figure out affordable desalination?

Can't blame humans, blame US for all those weapons, they allowed it first place. Oh BTW, they are still researching on more weapons to destroy millions of people especially ones that do a clean job without destroying cities. Everything would be great is US wasn't antagonizing every race on the planet and forming blockades with the Nazis.
edit on 6-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If only there were something, an event lets say, that happened annually which brought large amounts of fresh water to the areas in which the people could use to collect and store it for the dry seasons.

If they had something like that it would be great.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

people will go to war for natural resources.
water is needed for life. without water we die.
war to take a neighbor's water will make sense to those who are thirsty.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: frugal

California is the last place to give anyone advice on how to use water.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Lest we play ignorant here: graphics.thomsonreuters.com...

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

We need weather modification technology not desalinization plants.

Make it rain.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

We could also use moisture farmers like from Star Wars on Tatooine.

edit on 2018/5/6 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
If only there were something, an event lets say, that happened annually which brought large amounts of fresh water to the areas in which the people could use to collect and store it for the dry seasons.

If they had something like that it would be great.

They did. They had reservoirs constructed in the ancient past:

www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in...

Welcome to the world of Mad Max where armed guards defend depleted reservoirs:

www.theguardian.com...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I wonder what you could call it? Rainy day season? If only they had a monsoon season like the Phillipines.

a reply to: Tempter

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It has always baffled me why the Indians I work with both here and through outsourcing are so intelligent, yet come from and live in a country that’s basically a huge toilet, ran with rampant stupudity.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Smart yes common sense not a drop. They scare even me on a regular basis!!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Two weak monsoons have resulted in severe water shortages and crop losses in as many as 10 states, prompting extreme measures including curfews near water sources and water trains sent to the worst-affected regions.

“There is no guarantee that it will rain this year. Predictions are fine but no one comes to your help when the crops fail,” he said.

www.theguardian.com...

Article is from 2016, seems it got worse.
edit on 7-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I didn't realize their problem was so severe, but I hate... seriously hate when they throw buzz words in at the beginning of an article. (climate change)

They have a laundry list of problems to solve that could go a long way to fixing their water shortage issues, but many people will focus on "climate change" rather than the over use, or pollution problems, contaminated water sources etc.
(Please note I am not saying there is no climate change, but fixing the rest of the list is a lot more doable than adjusting the planetary weather patterns.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join