It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Wants Colin Kaepernick and Kanye West for Summit on Race

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"Ye shall know them by the fruits of their labor"

Full title at link: President Trump Wants Colin Kaepernick, Quarterback He Vilified, and Kanye West for Summit on Race

President Donald Trump has given the green light to multiple meetings with athletes and musical artists to discuss race, Cleveland-based pastor Darrell Scott, an outside adviser to the White House adviser, tells PEOPLE.

Kanye West [snip] has been invited, says Scott, along with former NFL star Colin Kaepernick and other athletes and musicians of multiple races and ethnicities.

“It’s not going to be a black-only event,” says Scott. “It will be a melting pot.”

This pastor supported Trump during his campaign, and probably has more than a little empathy for Kanye and the very public verbal abuse he's getting for refusing to "not love" Trump... Reverend Scott's been there and done that!

Pastor Darrell Scott Called a Sellout, Uncle Tom for Supporting Trump

And apparently Reverend Scott is giving Kanye's recent activities some of the credit for making this summit happen:

While details of the meetings will be ironed out next week, it’s expected that there be a musicians’ summit followed by a gathering of athletes in the early summer—with both held at the White House, says Scott.

The idea had been on the drawing board “for quite some time now” and got a boost following last week’s Trump-West Twitter exchange, the pastor adds.

I love it. This is how it's done. It's a real good start at least. By opposing sides talking and communicating and sharing concerns and hopes and ideas. By finding common ground; then finding practical and acceptable solutions that serve EVERYONE's best interests. And this is possible now with the summits including both friends and foes of Trump. So, hopefully and prayerfully, all involved can get past "Trump" and their own comfort zones (and egos) to work for the greater good.

Scott says that Trump envisions the summits as a healing mechanism. “The president said that this will go a long way in bringing everybody together,” he says. “He wants to bring this nation together.”

If these summits are conducted with respect and dignity on both sides, with open hearts and minds, then yes, this will go a long way in bringing people together, and finding new answers to tired old problems. That's healing at its best.

I wish everyone involved the best of luck and the brightest blessings. And a big fat THANK YOU!!! to anyone and everyone working to make this a success. It's a win for ALL of us!

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

“It’s not going to be a black-only event,” says Scott. “It will be a melting pot.”

This proves it once and for all.

Such a lack of White Guilt inherently means TrumpCo. are a lot of hardcore evil racist scum.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
A summit on "race"? It's no contest. Kaep wins. He's a trained athlete.

I'm liking this. THIS i why the football players knelt. To gain attention to this issue. Seems like it worked. The 1st Amendment in it's glory.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

We already know there will be folks who will find reasons to be suspicious... and, yeah, one of my first thoughts when I read this was that there would be complaints that White people just cannot and do not understand and therefore have to be omitted from the discussion. Such is the nature of the beast and what we must get past. And I don't know any other way except to do it and prove the naysayers wrong. There will be the diehards who just won't see past the nose on their own faces. But there will be far more that will learn and expand their perspective and broaden their horizons...

At least, that's what I'm going to believe until reality proves me wrong!

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

This only works if people are actually interested in solutions, it doesn't work if they like to keep the victim card.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
A summit on "race"? It's no contest. Kaep wins. He's a trained athlete.

-- Can't argue with that!

I'm liking this. THIS i why the football players knelt. To gain attention to this issue. Seems like it worked. The 1st Amendment in it's glory.

Amen! I happen to support the kneeling athletes in both letter and spirit. And I give them big props for doing so in a respectful and dignified manner -- without violence or screaming insults. I gave Colin much credit for changing to taking a knee rather than simply sitting out the anthem, because it represented a respectful middle ground -- he still made his point without being disrespectful by sitting. Unfortunately, few of his opponents could appreciate that simple but significant gesture.

I hope Kaepernick knows he deserves some credit for making this summit happen.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

This only works if people are actually interested in solutions, it doesn't work if they like to keep the victim card.

Well, sure. But that goes both ways. It also only works if people are offered real solutions, and not the crap slamwiches routinely shoved down our collective throats. Under the circumstances, it's disingenuous and intellectually dishonest to blame those with the least amount of power and resources to fix anything.

I have much more trust and faith in these folks actually wanting real solutions than the political critters who not only create these issues but escalate and perpetuate these issues for their own personal and political gain. Therefore I have much more faith and trust that the folks participating in this summit will actually find and propose real solutions. And if the people are given real solutions to make real improvements in their lives, then yes, I have no doubt the vast majority will not only accept but embrace these solutions.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Well, sure. But that goes both ways. It also only works if people are offered real solutions

I disagree, no one needs to be offered anything. Find the solution and offer it yourself. That's the whole point of the summit right? If they want a solution they can come up with one. If they want to be victims they can refuse to come up with one.

I don't know which way the wind will blow, I would like to think they will choose improving their lives, but we will see.
edit on 6-5-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

We already know there will be folks who will find reasons to be suspicious... and, yeah, one of my first thoughts when I read this was that there would be complaints that White people just cannot and do not understand and therefore have to be omitted from the discussion. Such is the nature of the beast and what we must get past. And I don't know any other way except to do it and prove the naysayers wrong. There will be the diehards who just won't see past the nose on their own faces. But there will be far more that will learn and expand their perspective and broaden their horizons...

At least, that's what I'm going to believe until reality proves me wrong!

That's how you resolve problems in large corporations - by having meetings. Normally you raise a grievance with a line manager and they propagate that upwards. Sometime it is about the new tools being totally useless, deadlines too short, not getting enough promotions or not seeing any future in their part of the company. Think of the country as a large corporation.
edit on 6-5-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I disagree, no one needs to be offered anything.

Excuse me, but no. Just no. When, for example, the city of Chicago knows that 70% of the homes in their city test positive for lead poisoning, and they know the detrimental effects it is having on the people of their city, then the people of the city do have a right to demand a solution, and city officials sure do need to offer them solutions.

Find the solution and offer it yourself.

Regarding my previous example above, plenty of folks have found and offered solutions -- and they've been ignored, or given craptastic faux solutions that benefit the few and harm the many. Which goes back to my point that it's disingenuous and intellectually dishonest to blame the victims who have the least power and fewest resources.

Regarding the participants in this summit, yes, that's exactly what their purpose is: To find and propose solutions. So why throw them under the bus already?

These aren't self-serving political critters we're talking about.

I don't know which way the wind will blow, I would like to think they will choose improving their lives, but we will see.

I honestly don't know why you would see anything else at this point.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

there would be complaints that White people just cannot and do not understand and therefore have to be omitted from the discussion

Those complaints could be somewhat justified although, JMHO, misguided. A better complaint might be that many, if not most, whites just aren't interested. As they see it, race isn't about them; its about POC and the Government and no one has much persuasion over the Government except POC because of their victim status.

Another valid complaint of many, if not most, whites would be they have no interest because this will just be another one of those "whitey bad, POC good", white bashing episodes that may prove to be cathartic for POC, but basically means "whitey shut up and go to the back of the class".

Good theater, but thats about all it provides other than maybe good optics for Trump.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

That's how you resolve problems in large corporations - by having meetings. Normally you raise a grievance with a line manager and they propagate that upwards. Sometime it is about the new tools being totally useless, deadlines too short, not getting enough promotions or not seeing any future in their part of the company. Think of the country as a large corporation.

True -- good analogy. I personally prefer the family analogy, because it also brings in love and loyalty and kindness, as opposed to simple greed and efficiency.

But you're right. This is how problems are resolved. Identify the problems and identify solutions and make it happen.

It's not rocket science. But that's why the divide-and-conquer works so well against the people. When we're so busy thinking the worst of each other, there is no desire -- and therefore no effort -- to find common ground, making real solutions impossible.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Excuse me, but no. Just no. When, for example, the city of Chicago knows that 70% of the homes in their city test positive for lead poisoning, and they know the detrimental effects it is having on the people of their city, then the people of the city do have a right to demand a solution, and city officials sure do need to offer them solutions.

Disingenuous example. I will still retort ... they do not need to wait for anything, they can submit a petition with THEIR solution still.

Regarding my previous example above, plenty of folks have found and offered solutions -- and they've been ignored, or given craptastic faux solutions that benefit the few and harm the many. Which goes back to my point that it's disingenuous and intellectually dishonest to blame the victims who have the least power and fewest resources.

Then you stop being a victim and you say listen these people claim to care and they do not, we are going to replace them with representatives who will actually be for the people.

Regarding the participants in this summit, yes, that's exactly what their purpose is: To find and propose solutions. So why throw them under the bus already?

I did no such thing, where did I throw them under the bus already?

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Those complaints could be somewhat justified although, JMHO, misguided. A better complaint might be that many, if not most, whites just aren't interested. As they see it, race isn't about them; its about POC and the Government and no one has much persuasion over the Government except POC because of their victim status.

At this point, White folks are so beat over the head with their so-called "white privilege" that they can't help but be "interested." They KNOW this is as much about their race as it is about any race of color. And pretty much everyone I know of any/all colors is just pretty darn tired of the manufactured outrage and just want it to end. Most people really believe in the colorblind society and are fed up with having it shoved in their faces all the time. Most people just want us to be people and to live and let live.

Another valid complaint of many, if not most, whites would be they have no interest because this will just be another one of those "whitey bad, POC good", white bashing episodes that may prove to be cathartic for POC, but basically means "whitey shut up and go to the back of the class".

Then they should check themselves for thinking they know what this "will" be as opposed to what it "might" be or "could" be. This summit has all the promise, appearance and potential of being exactly the opposite, and these people walking the talk should be given credit and respect and support for doing so. Not thrown under the bus before they can even get started.

Good theater, but thats about all it provides other than maybe good optics for Trump.

We'll see... but I'm betting on the summit participants. The ones with the real heart and courage of their convictions to make it happen. The best Trump can do is cooperate and facilitate the discussions. The real heavy lifting is up to the participants. God love 'em and bless 'em.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I can think of a ton more people who would be far more knowledgeable and insightful on matters of race than a bunch of over paid athletes and entertainers...

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A “summit on race” in one of the least racist countries in the world. It is the stupidest idea i’ve hear this week.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Disingenuous example. I will still retort ... they do not need to wait for anything, they can submit a petition with THEIR solution still.

People have been screaming from the rooftops!!! And city bureaucrats have just become more corrupt in covering it up while doing nothing to fix the problem. Blaming the ones with no power and no resources and giving a pass to the ones with all the power and all the resources is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest. And that's being nice about it. In general, victim blaming is just darn pathetic.

Then you stop being a victim and you say listen these people claim to care and they do not, we are going to replace them with representatives who will actually be for the people.

Oh dear. You should well know it's not that easy. You are, first and foremost, presuming that their votes actually mean something and that election fraud and tampering and other crimes aren't happening. You are also presuming that politicians can and will keep their campaign promises. You are also ignorant to the many efforts made and the many bureaucratic and legal obstacles they've encountered across all branches of government. Again and again, you double down on blaming the victims who have and are trying to remedy a wrong, and completely ignore and minimize the responsibilities of the city officials who do have the power to fix the problem and refuse to fix the problem.

I did no such thing, where did I throw them under the bus already?

Every single time I have complained about blaming the victims.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

At this point, White folks are so beat over the head with their so-called "white privilege"

God knows that's true. That narrative has alienated a whole lot of white people. Not only from POC, but from Institutions, like Government and Academia as well.

All we can do is watch and see.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Sorry, I most certainly did not throw the summit participants under the bus, and stop complaining about people not listening when you vote them back into office. It's like a girl complaining about her boyfriend cheating when she keeps picking up the phone to ask him out again after every time he does it .. yah, the boy's a scumbag, and the girl keeps setting herself up.

The people in this country refuse to wake up, R and D both.
edit on 6-5-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I can think of a ton more people who would be far more knowledgeable and insightful on matters of race than a bunch of over paid athletes and entertainers...

I both agree and disagree.

You and I might be more impressed by someone like Thomas Sowell than Kanye or Kaepernick... but it's not an either/or situation, it can be both. Kanye recently tweeted about Thomas Sowell... thus no doubt introducing Mr. Sowell and his wisdom to many who otherwise would have never heard of Thomas Sowell, much less his wisdom.

And that's where it's important for people from all walks to come together and discuss. Not accuse, not talk at each other, not talk about each other, but actually talk and discuss with each other with respect and dignity, with open minds and hearts. There will be many paths to reach many hearts and minds.

These summits with these people are just a beginning. Alone, in and of themselves, they cannot be the ultimate solution for all that ails us.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join