It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the Fertility Temple in Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I found this story on Ananova about an ancient Incan ruin of a fertility templethat was discovered in Peru and millions of people visited, it turned out that the temple was actually only 12 years old and that villagers had built it to attract tourists to their region. I found a picture of the site - the villagers must have enjoyed an inside joke when people came to see the little penis statues.

"'Ancient Inca ruins' which attracted millions of tourists each year have turned out to be only 12 years old.

Villagers at the Peruvian village of Chucuito built the 'ruins' themselves to attract tourists, reports Las Ultimas Noticias.

The ruins, said to be an ancient site where Inca women would go to cure infertility, attracted millions of tourists.

But experts have discovered they were built by villagers to convince authorities to invest money to attract tourists to the region.

Rolando Paredes, director of the National Culture Institue of Puno, said: "People have literally created a myth."

www.rutahsa.com...
www.ananova.com...
diariodigital.sapo.pt...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Dont blame them, they were just trying to make a buck. Peru is a poor country. I am half Peruvian, and i know how it is there. Everyone knows all the mysteries in Peru Machu Pichu and the Nazca lines. Pretty smart of them.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
PT Barnum was right.

new topics

join