It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Nixon prolonged the Vietnam War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well well in addition to enacting the War on Drugs to go after black people, Nixon also prolonged the war in Vietnam.

In 1968, the US and South Vietnam planned to end the war by holding peace talks with North Vietnam and the Vietcong. However, it was sabotaged by Nixon.

On the eve of his election in 1968, Richard Nixon secretly conspired with the South Vietnamese government to wreck all-party Vietnam peace talks as part of a deliberate effort to prolong a conflict in which more than 20,000 Americans were still to die, along with tens of thousands of Vietnamese and Cambodians.

Due to this action, Nixon should have been charged with treason.

In reality, however, Nixon used his campaign manager, John Mitchell, later his disgraced attorney general, to use go-betweens to encourage Thieu to believe he would get a better deal under a Nixon administration and to boycott the putative talks. Nixon constantly denied that he was conspiring with Thieu against the US government, but the release of previously classified FBI files used by the authors show this was exactly what he was doing.

sources:

www.smithsonianmag.com...

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 5/5/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
So Nixon's a traitor but Kennedy and Johnson aren't?

They're the ones who created that clusterf#. And lied every which way but loose to do it, shredding the Constitution in the process.

But they're Democrats so they're not culpable for Vietnam at all, right?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Yeah, I remember it was Johnson that stopped the bombing of NV right before the 68 election for political reasons.

That alone may have prolonged the war.

Very complicated things in that war.

🔑

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I agree that both Kennedy and Johnson were also war criminals. Nixon keep the war going a while longer.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

So why the focus on Nixon?

Cuz black people?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I'm only mentioning a fact. I believe Johnson was just as guilty on the destruction of the black community.

Either way, Humphreys would have done the same thing as Nixon had he been elected. It just so happens Nixon was the man who did it. It could have been anyone else.

Perhaps I am wrong on the part lives would have been saved. More people will die Humphreys or Nixon.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Johnson declared the war on poverty and look how long that's been dragging on !!

👀

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Excellent post - thank you.

I've read of this myself and was surprised because I thought that Reagan negotiating the delay of the Iranian hostages to win the election from Jimmy Carter was the first time this 'tactic' had been used.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
For all those "less informed" posting here , a little history lesson
1) The US was asked by the UN to send "advisors" to S. Vietnam. Why ? The British and French , in their respective times , got their butts kicked plumb out of Vietnam
2) Nothing actually happened under President Kennedy other than VP Lyndon Johnson and Diem of S.Vietnam . Throughout Kennedy's administration he was against military action in Vietnam.
3) President Lyndon Johnson was responsible for the buildup of troops the start of true military actions in the region via Tonkin Gulf Incident
4) President Nixon was the one that eventually started drawing down US troops there as he had a plan to carpet bomb the North

Fulfilled my obligation to ATS
Denying ignorance

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I protested in Chicago, Ann Arbor, Mi, Kent State.. Stood in the streets of Detroit during our '67 race riot, had scores of dead high school buds in Nam at only 18-19-20 years old.

The Detroit riot saw my black neighbors burn down their OWN stores, homes, neighborhoods.

I hid from National Guard live rounds at Kent State and watched 4 die.... and all I can say?

We rolled from Kennedy thru Johnson to Tricky Dick... and you've got most right. But to LIVE thru it, watch it around you, suffer because we cared enough to not want our brothers dying in some rice paddy 6-8 thousand miles away... or here by the party store in flames on our own soul?

We just wanted it all to STOP. Our government let us down and Presidents let us die... all while smiling to the cameras.. and big interests.

I woke up in the early to mid 70's.... and haven't closed both eyes on our government yet. I suggest all seek truth and fight the good fight...

Thank you for the post..
Peace.. Everyone..... MS
edit on 5-5-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I protested in Chicago, Ann Arbor, Mi, Kent State.. Stood in the streets of Detroit during our '67 race riot, had scores of dead high school buds in Nam at only 18-19-20 years old.

The Detroit riot saw my black neighbors burn down their OWN stores, homes, neighborhoods.

I hid from National Guard live rounds at Kent State and watched 4 die.... and all I can say?

We rolled from Kennedy thru Johnson to Tricky Dick... and you've got most right. But to LIVE thru it, watch it around you, suffer because we cared enough to not want our brothers dying in some rice paddy 6-8 thousand miles away... or here by the party store in flames on our own soul?

We just wanted it all to STOP. Our government let us down and Presidents let us die... all while smiling to the cameras.. and big interests.

I woke up in the early to mid 70's.... and haven't closed both eyes on our government yet. I suggest all seek truth and fight the good fight...

Thank you for the post..
Peace.. Everyone..... MS

A good reason to bring back the 'citizen army' and the draft. Thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Seems to me the Democrats were in office longer then Nixon,like pot calling kettle black,some liberal response

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Excellent post - thank you.

I've read of this myself and was surprised because I thought that Reagan negotiating the delay of the Iranian hostages to win the election from Jimmy Carter was the first time this 'tactic' had been used.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

I think Reagan meant well, but he had a devil as his Vice President. I think the delaying tactic was the idea of George Bush. I maybe wrong but, I believe him to be a very evil man.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Thank you for the post..
Peace.. Everyone..... MS

A good reason to bring back the 'citizen army' and the draft. Thank you for sharing.

Good day FyreByrd! Can't say I'd agree with a draft... But do think all men and women 18 should do at least 2 years of "service" to their country: Red Cross, Peace Corps, etc... not military.

Now. The "citizen army"? A great idea. Even peace lovers understood our history and need to defend against all odds.

Thanks F/B.. Nice to get your reply!
Peace! (of course!)
MS

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Don't they have state militias in certain states? People don't necessarily have to go to the US military but they can have option to join the militias.

edit on 5/6/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ah - National Service - excellent. No college entrance without serving, as you say, your country.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Don't they have state militias in certain states? People don't necessarily have to go to the US military but they can have option to join the militias.

Yes; they were known as State Defense Forces, now State Guard units. A nationwide group called SGAUS (State Guard Association of the US) is the unofficial clearinghouse for information and coordination.

Each state's group is different.

I volunteered in one state, and the only differences between us and the Army National Guard were that we did training in-state, we could not receive orders out of state (but could volunteer), and we were not paid unless activated. We, as teams, squads, or individuals, were integrated into NG units on weekend drills. There were times I would join formation with a NG platoon at the start of drill weekend, and never see another SG member until drill was over on Sunday. We used the same items as the NG soldiers did...vehicles, weapons, aircraft, mess facilities, etc. Uniforms only differed in a couple small details, such as the state name instead of US Army. Standards of appearance were the same as the NG. In that state, 99.99% of SG members were veterans like myself who wanted to continue to serve.

Anyhow...then I volunteered in another state. No standards of grooming, halfassed training, never did anything with the NG except share facilities, very few veterans involved in any capacity, and it was generally a waste of my time and I didn't feel like I was helping my community at all.
edit on 6-5-2018 by therainmaker because: Grammar and spacing edit.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Can't honestly answer that about the state militia thing friend 'cause I don't really know. But, I'd join.

I've always believed everyone should give a few years for their country. Even volunteering somehow, someway...

Lord knows we need it in so many ways and places.... Thanks a lot!

Best, MS

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Ah - National Service - excellent. No college entrance without serving, as you say, your country.

Hey... Just serve humanity itself wherever you are... however and whenever... One can.

Best to you F/B!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Another liberal post,and I see all these whiners and their"no politics posts!" but all they do is read something from their liberal news outlet and repeat it,never to check out true facts,another failed liberal post

join