It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chula Vista school mural depicts severed, speared Trump head

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

It’s ok to just distance yourself from this as a public official in charge of students. Because art ya know. Just so happy they didn’t have to take he extra step of calling it out as hateful and hurtful. Good thing it’s just Trump. I mean can you imagine if it was JFK, Rosa Parks, MLK, Che, Pancho Villa, or Mao? I mean people would lose their chit. Don’t worry though. It’s 2018, and critical thinking and real empathy to other humans takes backseat to narratives and “progress”. Lmfao

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: UnendingVigilance

If the school hired the artist to paint a mural without vetting the artist or seeing what the artist wanted to paint, then they should own it because they got what they paid for.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's not censorship. The parents and kids at the school were the one's complaining.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Since it was a local mural artist it can't be pinned on the school.

The school commissioned it, and it's possible they knew the content and agreed to it.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The amount of hatred seething from Hispanics towards Trump and Republicans in general is undeserved unless you are an illegal alien

OR... the child of an illegal or the wife or the husband or even cousin. Heck if you have friends who are Hispanic who have relatives who are illegal.
So basically if you are somehow involved in breaking the law or support someone who does and don't like someone enforcing the law.

BTW, my wife has several illegal alien family members in he US .. she 100% wold vote Trump for his immigration policies alone .. if she was a US citizen.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Right next to the hilarious one of Obama being hung on a tree, HILARIOUS right?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: seattlerat

I'm no Trump supporter and I find him despicable but I find this very distasteful. It's really like uttering death threats.

I am a Trump supporter, but I value free expression even higher.

I love free expression.

It allows leftist extremists to show the world how deranged they are, just like the painter of this mural has done.

He'd fit well in North Korea making such murals and brainwashing the children.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This s getting bad. The civil war is beginning.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It's not censorship. The parents and kids at the school were the one's complaining.

Let me guess. . . . they were offended.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Yes, that is not censorship. Censorship is saying this lady can't paint that at all. She can. She is free to have bad taste, just like those people and myself are free to no support her bad taste, someone somewhere will I am sure.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You and I have different views on what is and isn't censorship.

If I were to paint a portrait of Trump riding a dragon and waving the flag, and it offended some (as it surely would) and I was forced to alter my painting to remove Trump from my portrait, I would consider that censorship.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So you can paint that on a building even if the residents of that building don't like it? You can paint whatever wherever despite it being private property?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

So you can paint that on a building even if the residents of that building don't like it? You can paint whatever wherever despite it being private property?

The building owners caved to people offended by the sight of the mural.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Yes, because they pay the rent. This lady is free to paint what she wants on her property or the property of those who allow her.

What if I want to paint in your house a mural of all the women in your family being gang raped .. is it censorship when you say no? Of course not. She did this on private land, and the people paying the bills don't support it. That's called good taste, not censorship, since she is free to paint it elsewhere.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The artist was paid to paint a mural.

She painted the mural.

The owners of the property didn't complain until others complained.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is full of racism, yet nobody is really paying attention. Africans wearing tribal clothes like some kind of backwards cave man, Mexicans all decked out wearing dead face and tiger skins while sporting gang tattoos, a white guy being speared up. I think there is enough stuff there to offend any millennial (then again my frootie pebbles has enough in it to do the same)

I personally think it's tasteless, but then I didn't pay to have it made. I think what seattlerat said should be presented though:

But with all the violence taking place at schools, do we want to promote harming others with depictions of our president's decapitated head right on school grounds? When students can be expelled for making a pretend gun using their hand, shouldn't the school be held to a standard that doesn't make them appear to be hypocrites?

If, we want to foster an environment of inclusiveness, then why do we allow divisiveness if the perpetrator is anything but white?

edit on 5-5-2018 by Guyfriday because: Blah Blah Blah

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Yes, because the owners are beholden to those who pay the rent. The fact is she is not being censored, she can still paint this exact mural, she can buy the property to paint it or find someone else who wants it. In fact it's free to stay at it's current location ... and the people are free to put their kids in another school that more matches their values.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

It's not racist if it has a dead trump head.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Guyfriday

It's not racist if it has a dead trump head.

Nope, it's a threat on the President isn't it. One can look at it as such, but given the context of the painting without the painters narrative, we could reasonably assume that this is just an attack on white people (or Euro-Americans for those whinny little millennials out there), just like the other two people depicted can be considered attacks of blacks and browns (or Africans and Mexicans. Anybody else getting tired of this stupid PC crap, I mean it's whatever-American unless you're white then it's ok to just call that person white. That's it I'm drawing a line)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You are certainly carrying freedom of expression to its limits.

This was at a school which has a policy of non-violence.

“We understand that there was a mural painted at the event this past weekend that does not align with our school’s philosophy of non-violence,”

The school can repaint the fence every day if they wish.

If things extend to the level you are promoting, I could come to your house and paint disgusting images on your fence and you would not have the right to remove it or complain.

Or, are you just having fun playing the devils advocate?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join