It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chula Vista school mural depicts severed, speared Trump head

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
WARNING- THIS POST CONTAINS A POTENTIALLY DISTURBING IMAGE

I'm an artist and do not want my work to be censored or controlled, but if I had been commissioned to design a publicly displayed work at a school, I would consider my audience and weigh my options. It is possible to be creative and make a statement without being vulgar. Shocking art can be a valuable tool, but is it appropriate to place such (potentially) disturbing images at a school?
What do you all think? I'm particularly interested in how fellow artists might feel about this!

SOURCE

Chula Vista school mural that depicts the bloody, severed head of President Donald Trump on a spear sparked a controversy that prompted officials to cover it and issue a response distancing themselves from the work. The statement also said the artist will alter the painting.

“We understand that there was a mural painted at the event this past weekend that does not align with our school’s philosophy of non-violence,” read the statement from MAAC Community Charter School director Tommy Ramirez. “We have been in communication with the artist — who has agreed to modify the artwork — to better align with the school’s philosophy.” The event Ramirez referred to was the annual Battlegroundz, a scholarship fundraiser held during the last weekend of April. During the fundraiser, students and invited artists paint murals that highlight urban art in an alley behind the school.
Here's the mural before being covered up:
Modified mural:

ETA: HERE is a link to the schools website.
The school is open to students aged 14-24.
edit on 552018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

(post by Plotus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

The artist is a dick, but even dicks have a right to free expression.

The vidja games that kids play today are far more graphic. This is censorship, not matter the reason.

+4 more 
posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Since it was a local mural artist it can't be pinned on the school. Regardless of whose head it is an image of decapitation is never a suitable subject for school kids. Appears to be a Jaguar warrior which was the 2nd highest warrior class in Aztec culture. The Eagle warrior was #1.

The amount of hatred seething from Hispanics towards Trump and Republicans in general is undeserved unless you are an illegal alien. That's like burglars hating the police - a personal problem.

The artist wanted to get free publicity.
This is how you do it.
By being outrageous rather than artistic.

+2 more 
posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The vidja games that kids play today are far more graphic. This is censorship, not matter the reason.

How does that work though. Who's property is it, was it a commissioned painting? In general can you freely express yourself on others private property? Public property? Or just your own?

If I paint your house, can I draw a giant penis on it in the guise of free expression?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Please tell me this comes in a wall paper ! ! !

link   

I hear ya, and I agree. But with all the violence taking place at schools, do we want to promote harming others with depictions of our president's decapitated head right on school grounds? When students can be expelled for making a pretend gun using their hand, shouldn't the school be held to a standard that doesn't make them appear to be hypocrites?

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The amount of hatred seething from Hispanics towards Trump and Republicans in general is undeserved unless you are an illegal alien

OR... the child of an illegal or the wife or the husband or even cousin. Heck if you have friends who are Hispanic who have relatives who are illegal.

+9 more 
posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I lived in Chula Vista for 2 years. It is a large area of San Diego. If you don’t speak spanish, it is not an easy place to live.

There is a lot of hate for anyone who is not mexican.
edit on 5-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not by drawing violent imagery in a publicly viewable space they don't.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

I hear ya, and I agree. But with all the violence taking place at schools, do we want to promote harming others with depictions of our president's decapitated head right on school grounds? When students can be expelled for making a pretend gun using their hand, shouldn't the school be held to a standard that doesn't make them appear to be hypocrites?

The problem is the school and not the artist then.

This is an obvious example of their hypocrisy.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not by drawing violent imagery in a publicly viewable space they don't.

I disagree.

It is art.

It is free expression.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

How does that work though. Who's property is it, was it a commissioned painting? In general can you freely express yourself on others private property? Public property? Or just your own?

If I paint your house, can I draw a giant penis on it in the guise of free expression?

If I paid you to be artistic on my house then it had better be an epic penis with dragons and purple clouds.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The school is open to students aged 14-24? I wonder why that is?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
The school is open to students aged 14-24.

Ummm...all artwork aside...are there really 24 year old high school students...?

I mean...

D'oh...WoodCarver beat me by a nose...But that's only cause he has such a protuberant proboscis...

YouSir
edit on 5-5-2018 by YouSir because: I just hadsta man...

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Chula Vista

...that made me laugh

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

There is a lot of hate for anyone who is not mexican.

It's getting like that in a lot of blue states.

edit on 5-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I'm no Trump supporter and I find him despicable but I find this very distasteful. It's really like uttering death threats.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I'm no Trump supporter and I find him despicable but I find this very distasteful. It's really like uttering death threats.

I am a Trump supporter, but I value free expression even higher.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join