It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Smoke, Mirrors, and Gulf War Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Over 10% of Gulf War veterans have so-called Gulf War illness. Many so-called experts on the syndrome have vested interests. A commentary in today's Lancet outlines the political manipulation that has impeded knowledge of Gulf War illness, and the resultant scientific confusion. It also questions "the integrity and accountability of the medical and scientific community and the way in which scientific fact is interpreted to governments and public."

www.thelancet.com
The Lancet February 19, 2005

14 years after the first Gulf War, some 6000 British veterans of the conflict (roughly 11% of the deployed force) have reported significant ill health, similar to the proportions found in the USA.

"The scientific facts underlying the ill health of Gulf veterans are embarrassingly few and are, at times, overshadowed by the conjecture, speculation, and prejudices of experts, many with vested interests, who approach the problem from disparate biomedical and psychological backgrounds."

A Comment outlines the scientific confusion and political manipulation that has impeded our knowledge of Gulf War illness.
Author Martin Deal concludes: "Gulf War illness and the manner in which it has been investigated is not a parochial matter. Rather, the syndrome and its aftermath raises fundamental issues that challenge the integrity and accountability of the medical and scientific community and the way in which scientific fact is interpreted to governments and public."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Lancet is the world's premier medical journal on infectious disease. The full article is not available without a subscription, but just reading the abstract might give some veterans hope.

The Bush administration silences US scientists to protect international corporate interests. At the same time, researchers are speaking up and speaking out. One day soon the dam will break and the truth will come out.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US to research "Gulf War Syndrome" Again
NEWS: Cancer Linked to Gulf War

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
To admit GWS would be to admit Saddam used WMD's in gulf war I. It's not PC to do so.............

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

To admit GWS would be to admit Saddam used WMD's in gulf war I.

...or that the US did.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

To admit GWS would be to admit Saddam used WMD's in gulf war I.

...or that the US did.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by soficrow]

We know we did, it's called DU. Depleted Uranium.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
........resultant scientific confusion. It also questions "the integrity and accountability of the medical and scientific community and the way in which scientific fact is interpreted to governments and public."

This is a vary important statement, in my opinion. Scientists are driven by money and the government provides that.........I think that some research is done with one eye towards the goal and one eye shut. The sad part is, the mass media isn't going to latch on to this; Lancer is a professional industry report, you say?

Of course, I'm sure the question of how scientific fact is interpreted to the government will see some mild feedback, but was there any question in how the government interprets their goals to the scientific community?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Of course, I'm sure the question of how scientific fact is interpreted to the government will see some mild feedback, but was there any question in how the government interprets their goals to the scientific community?

The fact that this administration routinely silences scientists is yet another major issue that doesn't receive much media attention. For mor information, see:

U.S. Still Silencing Scientists

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Haven't you guys heard?

US soldiers traumatised by combat fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan will be offered the drug ecstasy! I kid you not.. US food and drug administration has been given the green light to experiment MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Yup, and if injected '___' into our water systems, i'm sure we'd be living in a more "utopia" society.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
Haven't you guys heard?

US soldiers traumatised by combat fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan will be offered the drug ecstasy! I kid you not.. US food and drug administration has been given the green light to experiment MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Yup, and if injected '___' into our water systems, i'm sure we'd be living in a more "utopia" society.

Jeez. These poor guys - and the rest of us - are infected with weird new diseases created by drug and chemical processes - and they just want to dick with our brain function?

Why am I not surprised.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My Medicinal Chemistry professor had mentioned something about the Gulf War Syndrome pertaining to anthrax vaccines tainted with antibodies for squalene, an intermediate component of the cholesterol biosynthesis pathway. Haven't had a chance to research the claim at all, but I think that that is at least one explanation on the table right now.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokingMan
My Medicinal Chemistry professor had mentioned something about the Gulf War Syndrome pertaining to anthrax vaccines tainted with antibodies for squalene, an intermediate component of the cholesterol biosynthesis pathway. Haven't had a chance to research the claim at all, but I think that that is at least one explanation on the table right now.

These jerks are getting away with murder because they have everyone convinced that disease results from a direct one-on-one cause and effect.

Not so. Most things are "multifactorial" - effects result from several factors acting in combination.

Vaccines are a problem because:

1. Cow and sheep products are used in the manufacturing process - and it's practically guaranteed they're contaminated with infectious prions;

2. The manufacturing process itself creates misfolded proteins or prions, which have the innate ability to become infectious when they hit the bloodstream

duh
[angry; spitting]

new topics

top topics

join