It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good is a stupid dog?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Somebody asked me that once at work. Said he never had a dog and could'nt understand why anyone would want one.
I did not quite know what to say to him. I have always had dogs (and various other animals) so I guess, at the time, I could not put it into words.

I've had my dog Gustav since he was a pup. His mom was a stray that somebody dumped off around our house several years ago. We adopted her, and before I could get her fixed she ran off and hooked up with the neighbors dog. Couple months later Gus was born. He was born blind. I did not realize it until he was a few months old, but I decided to keep him. He is now passed away of a brain tumor this morning and I feel like a big chunk of my heart is gone now.

That dog was the epitome of unconditional love and he just did not care.

He did'nt care if I came home late off a twelve hour shift and was tired, grouchy, and smelled like an armpit.

He did'nt care when I got really sick and skinny from horrible cancer treatments. In fact he would actually walk me to the bathroom every time I had to go.

He did'nt care if I walked outside for 20 seconds to check the mail, it was like a party when I walked back inside.

He did'nt care if I drank too much beer and was drunk, or sober, or skinny, fat, sick, healthy, broke, rich. He did not put conditions and expectations on his love like so many of us humans do.

So I wish I could go back in time and tell that fella that dogs teach you loyalty when they are alive and with you. Then when they are gone they teach you what loss is.

Loyalty, and loss. I really can't think of two more important life lessons. God bless you Gustav. I know we all exist in spirit and I will see you one day, but until then I will really miss you. Thank you for all you've taught me my friend.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It is always good to make sure your dog is stupider than you are. Some people should not have dogs because of that reason.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

A stupid dog is better than a cat.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm lucky.
My wife is allergic to most furry animals so we don't have any.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It is always good to make sure your dog is stupider than you are. Some people should not have dogs because of that reason.

You know how blind people are more in tune with their other senses? And you know how dogs have an extra sense that lets them know what master is thinking/feeling? Well that sense was way more heightened in him because he was blind.

I could almost swear that he had a vocabulary as big as most humans. (which probably isn't that hard nowadays).

He was actually smarter than alot of people I know. Which is why I guess I prefer four legged companions instead of people.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There are no stupid dogs.

Just retarded humans that like to pretend to have some grasp on the natural world around them by putting down anything that's not them or in their likeness. Women say men are like dogs, but this is an insult to the dog species at large.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I have two cats.

They are just different is all. Different thought processes and motivations and such.

Love my girl kitties, they are awesome pest control when you live in the country.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I couldn't agree more.
I see many people who can't handle their dog simply because the dog is smarter than them.

I just shake my head.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
There are no stupid dogs.

Just retarded humans that like to pretend to have some grasp on the natural world around them by putting down anything that's not them or in their likeness. Women say men are like dogs, but this is an insult to the dog species at large.

Haha thanks for the laugh. True dat.

edit on 4-5-2018 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Dogs are awesome social and loyal beings! They would take a bullet for you if they knew it was coming, too.

I should not tell that here because it´s verboten in my Country. We always burry our dogs in our little forrest. The digging always makes it easier to handle the pain. The blisters you get from digging a hole in a forest are worth it. You have to dig deep or boars and foxes will devastate the grave. At least 1.5m.

I could never bring my dogs to a waste facility, I´d rather pay the fine (whatever amount I don´t care).

Cheers to all our good buddies resting in peace. Those memories will never fade.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
ALL dogs go to Heaven...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I'm sorry for your loss, cancerwarrior.
my dog is my best friend and my only companion, I don't know what I'd do without her. So loyal and always so, so happy.

perhaps someday soon another 'stupid dog' will find you.... man's best friend, imho

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I should not tell that here because it´s verboten in my Country. We always burry our dogs in our little forrest. The digging always makes it easier to handle the pain. The blisters you get from digging a hole in a forest are worth it. You have to dig deep or boars and foxes will devastate the grave. At least 1.5m.

I buried him in my yard and planted a peach tree on top of him.

He can fertilize the tree and have a grave marker at the same time. Purpose in death just like he had one in life.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Dogs are much smarter that people give them credit for. In fact, the average dog can learn around 160 words. (If that's the case most of my dogs vocabulary consists of profanity!) Dogs teach us what unconditional love is. It's a shame they don't live nearly as long as us.

Sorry for your loss.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I am very sorry for your lost. That was sad and yet up lifting to read. My dog is very dumb and barks at nothing but he is my savior just as my cats and chickens are. As I am typing this my dog is sleeping at the top of my stairs and hanging off them at same time. He is my best friend and I know you will get yours back. Best wishes....allaroundyou

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
a reply to: butcherguy

I have two cats.

They are just different is all. Different thought processes and motivations and such.

Love my girl kitties, they are awesome pest control when you live in the country.

I am just not a cat person.
They like me, but I don't like them.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

perhaps someday soon another 'stupid dog' will find you.... man's best friend, imho

Thank you. I still have Gus' mom (tootie) and my Golden Retriever Sam.

But Sam is thirteen now and wants to just sleep all day and Tootie just wants to be around Sam.

I do hope to find me another pup that maybe has something wrong with him that nobody else wants. I'm convinced those are the best dogs.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have one stupid dog and one smart dog. But they don't even know who's stupid or smart. They just give me so much love and friendship as have all my past special friends. My five cats (all my friends are rescues) give me more affection and attention than any human ever has. One cat even wakes me when my sugar goes too low by patting my face.

They are my real family. I feel their love and I think they feel mine. I prefer their company to any human I have ever known.

I know you are broken hearted- Been there too many times. Thank you for loving this special friend who had special needs.

There's another waiting for you to love them-that makes you special, too.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Dogs are proof that there is a higher power, a greater dimension.

Dogs are awesome.

Sorry for your loss.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
In my experience, dogs like to be around people generally. However, they can survive on their own if need be.

That being said, I think stupid doesn't necessarily apply. Hardheaded, yes. Overly energetic, yes. They don't value things the same as people.

I'm caring for a rescue; a German Shepard mix whose owner fed him methamphetamine. Hes twacked and does weird snip. But he deserves to live, and needs patience and understanding.

Just because we value human life over animals as a priority, doesn't lessen the right to exist of either group.

Stupid animals don't know their stupid. It's people who characterize and label such things out of personal preference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join