It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Judge T.S. Ellis is now in possession of the ultra top-secret "scope of authority" memo that AAG Rosenstein wrote to Bob Mueller in August of last year.

Story: www.foxnews.com...

Now we'll see if judge Ellis feels that putting Manafort on trial for his pre-2016 activities is lawful, or was it just another chapter in Bob Mueller's overall witch hunt.

Here is what gets me.

The redacted scope memo was released and the SC argued that the redacted portions dont pertain to Manafort. If that is so then there is nothing in that memo to justify Mueller going after Manafort. It lists the 2 arguments the SC made to Judge Ellis with regards to Ukraine and at the end it says Mueller can go after crimes that fall under section B for jurisdiction.

The verbal order attempt I dont think is going to work for the SC. There is nothing in the memo that links Manafort to Trump Russia collusion. The other part is the fact this investigation and prosecution was not discovered by the SC while investigating Trump Russia collusion. It was a preexisting investigation that the DOJ already cleared Manafort of several years back.

I want to see people accused of a crime prosecuted however not when we shred the constitution to do it.
edit on 18-5-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Judge Ellis informed both parties today that the hearing scheduled for May 25th has been pushed back to June 8th at the Judges request so he can have some more time to review all motions and supporting documents. This includes the latest motion for an investigation into the Special Counsel for leaks.

The SC moved for immediate dismissal of that motion and the judge denied the request.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Also, it has been learned that several of Mueller's attorneys have are registered with "dual" status, which will make it difficult for Judge Ellis to dismiss the case.

Several of special counsel Robert Mueller’s attorneys obtained a special status that could prevent the judge in the prosecution of former Donald Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort from ousting them, Politico reported.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III mentioned at a hearing earlier in May the possibility of shifting the case to federal prosecutors based in Alexandria, Virginia.

However, when the lawyers appeared in the Alexandria court, several court filings show that they appeared as Mueller representatives and were also designated the status of special assistant U.S. Attorneys (SAUSAs) attached to the U.S. attorney’s office, the report said.
Full Article: www.newsmax.com...

That's a neat trick. Mueller wants to be like a burr stuck in your clothing. Hard to remove without hurting yourself.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yeah the problem with that dual status bs is it violates the appointment clause of the Constitution. US Attorneys are required to be appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. Mueller and his team are trying to use a legal maneuver to push this sham forward.

The ironic part is that violation actually goes with the motion that Mueller and his actions arent lawful.
edit on 24-5-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Thanks for the info.
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Thanks for the info.
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

I see 2 outcomes -
1 - A judge slaps down Mueller and his actions as unlawful and outside his authority along with Rosenstein being found to have exceeded his authority.
2 - The IG report comes out and the info is so damning towards the people from the Obama admin responsible for this Russia Trump bull# that it is ended.

edit on 24-5-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I think it will be a combination of both.
The report has damaging info to the investigation, and those conducting it.
Mueller is too proud to withdraw.
It is sad that manafort will not be held accountable because the cops are dirty.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
It is sad that manafort will not be held accountable because the cops are dirty.

That squarely lies at the feet of Rosenstein. Rosenstein was the USA for Manaforts case and Rosenstein was the one who exonerated him at the time.

Dont get me wrong I want to see people held accountable, regardless of the R or D or I that comes after their names. With that said I have no desire to see the Constitution shredded to get to that outcome.

You investigate properly and do your best to put the best case together to support the charges. If you have to employ illegal means to get there then you are no different than the person you are wanting to prosecute.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That squarely lies at the feet of Rosenstein. Rosenstein was the USA for Manaforts case and Rosenstein was the one who exonerated him at the time. Dont get me wrong I want to see people held accountable, regardless of the R or D or I that comes after their names. With that said I have no desire to see the Constitution shredded to get to that outcome. You investigate properly and do your best to put the best case together to support the charges. If you have to employ illegal means to get there then you are no different than the person you are wanting to prosecute.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Perhaps we will get back to the rule of law and equal application of justice in our country.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Stay classy mueller....I cannot wait until that smug narcissist is fired... 

-Chris

Judge decided Mueller was within bounds after all.
Color me shocked...not

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Stay classy mueller....I cannot wait until that smug narcissist is fired... 

-Chris

Judge decided Mueller was within bounds after all.
Color me shocked...not

He sure did and he also, again, noted his issues in his ruling with unfettered power to an unelected official and still is wary about what the SC is doing in Manafort's case.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I see 2 outcomes - 
1 - A judge slaps down Mueller and his actions as unlawful and outside his authority along with Rosenstein being found to have exceeded his authority. 
2 - The IG report comes out and the info is so damning towards the people from the Obama admin responsible for this Russia Trump bull# that it is ended. 

Didn't see the possibility that neither would happen did you?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I linked your thread in an update to this story, Christosterone.

The judge in your OP and another judge have both reversed course and allowed the case to continue. Here's the link:

Ex-Trump campaign chief Manafort loses bid to dismiss Virginia charges

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Thanks for the link...
But I don’t believe it matters anymore...

If rosenstein is impeached, trump will have cause to fire him(unlike Obama who refused to fire holder)
With him gone, his case can be reviewed and could give trump cause to remand(stop) any orders rosenstein made such as the creation of a special counsel...
Trump could use this as cause to fire mueller with no fear of congressional reprisal (impeachment) as just cause would be cited in trumps firing of both rosenstein and mueller who both have MASSIVE disqualifying factors in their appointments, most importantly conflicts of interest...which may be brought to light thru McCabe, Strzok or Rosensteins [undoubtedly] sel-serving and altogether differing testimonies...

There’s a very smart reason strzoks testimony is not being shown...the justice department can’t see it either which means rosenstein doesn’t know what he’s saying...

-Chris

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The corruption in the FBI and the bias of Muellers team has been so conclusively proven that firing Mueller would no longer have an effect. I expect Trump will do it.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Am I the only one who is hearing one consistant charge against all the people from the Trump campaign. It has always sounded to me as though the main point of every meeting, which did or did not take place, had to do with getting some kind of information about Hillary Clinton. Is this the real point of contention from the F B I and the D N C, that anything which could have been told about Hillary should bring about a criminal case against anyone and everyone involved. I would have never thought I could live in a country in which one person was so special, their past could not be discussed without fear of criminal prosecution.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I see 2 outcomes - 

Didn't see the possibility that neither would happen did you?

Nope and I still believe the prosecution and the manner it came about is illegal.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Judge Ellis is ripping Bob Mueller's prosecution team again today.
edit on 8/1/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Judge Ellis is ripping Bob Mueller's prosecution team again today.

They were told today to either produce Gates as the star witness or the conspiracy charge is out.

He also disallowed photos of manaforts closets.

When Gates gets on the stand the defense is going to make short work of his testimony. They raised the issue in their opening statement than even though Gates is a witness for the prosecution he apparently got caught lying to them after they reached a deal.

They will use that lie to impeach his testimony and destroy his credibility.

So far the SC prosecution has not had anything go in their favor yet. The fact the defense and the judge had to chastise the prosecution and remind the jury that having money is not a crime was telling.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Have you been able to verify that Rod Rosenstein cleared manafort of the charges that he's being tried for, something like 8 years ago?

I could not find any actual articles from that time. Mentioning that trial.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join