It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe Third Country Agreement: Ralph Goodale Says Canada Talking With U.S. About Re-Opening Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Link

OTTAWA — Canada is in "exploratory" talks with the United States to re-open the Safe Third Country Agreement, which allows both countries to turn back asylum seekers at border crossings, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Tuesday as he dismissed reports that the Liberals want the agreement to encompass the entire border.

It means Canada can turn back potential refugees at the Canada-U.S. border on the basis they must pursue their claims in the U.S., the country where they first arrived.

Oh the irony. Canada NOW wants a mechanism again to turn back refugees and illegal immigrants.

They are mad that people from Nigeria, who came to the U.S. only for a short time, were going to Canada to ask for asylum.

What next, will the EU have second thoughts on their great immigration policy?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

They want to make "Canada Great Again". Cheaper for them since they don't need a wall.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Trudeau was an idiot for telling people "come to Canada, we're open for everyone", when we don't even have the housing and infrastructure to handle the influx of people calling us "paradise", with our winter temperatures ......we have lots of undeveloped, inhabitable space

**its nice here, for the most part, but not "paradise". Not sure who started that rumour.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Trudeau was an idiot for telling people "come to Canada, we're open for everyone", when we don't even have the housing and infrastructure to handle the influx of people calling us "paradise", with our winter temperatures ......we have lots of undeveloped, inhabitable space

**its nice here, for the most part, but not "paradise". Not sure who started that rumour.

Give them an axe and let them build a home out in the wilderness.

Honestly it's humorous watching Canada deal with a Merkel-like invitation by Trudeau.

I Love Canada but he isn't a good thing for your Country. Hopefully he doesn't do too much damage.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

He's really dropping the ball on our energy sectors. Fighting between the provinces over pipelines, and regulations that are all over the place, are sending our investors south, and anywhere but here.
I'm less worried about immigrants than I am about our resources and exports being mismanaged. Massive economic damage being done here...

I don't think I'd trust an immigrant building homes in the wilderness. It burns down too easily in the summers 🤔 Maybe insulated container houses in the prairies....

Trudeau has issues trying to please everyone for his ego, he ends up pleasing no one.

Most people here just vote to get people out of the top position, then take a big chance on new politicians.
Still only poor choices available

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

it's actually a few things involved in that rumor. first off until rather recent in the scheme of things that not only those who were rich could afford to travel. in the not too distant past the only foreigners they saw were the idle rich, who could afford to travel. even now most people in foreign countries think everyone who is from a country like the US, Canada or western Europe is RICH beyond belief. because of that, because everyone who used to travel not too long ago were in fact the extremely rich. and thus they think that everyone must be that rich. it's actually a bigoted and racial stereotype.

then on top of that, especially with the internet, they see how much people get paid in those "rich countries". things like the arguing over a $15/hour minimum wage for example. especially in countries where just earning $10/day, might be a great wage. so they know everyone is rich. you see, they see such high wages, especially "minimum wages". but they do not see and in all honesty can not easily grasp the concept that, Yes we do make that much. but that almost everything actually costs that much more. and that that huge wage of $15/hour, may not even be enough to live on. i have literally blown minds telling people how much different things cost in the US and Canada. and many of them think you are actually lying to them, that things cost more. that for example we pay TEN TIMES the price for a pack of cigarettes. that a cheap apartment they may pay the equivalent of under $100/month would cost over $1,000/month. or that even that Ford truck they have was cheaper by almost $10,000 to buy, than they would have paid for it in the US or Canada where it was built. that what they pay for their prescription medicine, would not even cover the cost the pharmacy charges to give you the medication, forget about the cost of that medication. that that old North American who lives in that huge house, has a full time cook and housekeeper. could not even afford to live in North America on his pension. which is why he lives there instead. or that that pair of jeans they spent about $2 on, would cost them over $30 in North America.

they literally just can not mentally accept that sure people get paid more, but they also pay more for almost everything. they very seriously think they can work at a job like McDonalds, and live in a huge house, have two or three cars, a swimming pool, raise a family with the wife at home not working, AND send lots of money back home to support their families (extended families, like aunts, cousins, parents, siblings excreta. and it is actually EXPECTED, that they will pretty much support their extended families). it is a very serious problem. and that is for the ones who are a bit realistic. for many, they actually think that as soon as they step off the airplane they will automatically have all those things. that everyone in North America has all those things, just for being there. i have a friend who is a teacher in the US/Canada (yes he has taught in both countries), who married an immigrant. he had a big issue with his new in-law family expecting him to send them all sorts of money and gifts. i mean after all he is a teacher, and so had to be extremely well paid, and should be able to send them over $1,000/month easily to support them. i have seen the same expectations of people who have gone offshore to work, where their families felt they were being greedy and not sending them thousands of dollars to support them while working as housekeepers, or other low paying jobs. another friend who got married overseas just got their spouse to Canada recently. they just about panicked when they went out to a store the first time and saw the prices of everything. talk about "sticker shock". and that was after we had spent a long time warning them about that. they just could not believe it was true. they all "see" what people earn, and apply those wages to what things cost in their home country. it's almost like some sort of weird mental block stopping them from understanding that along with big pay, comes more expensive prices.

they also have no concept of cold temperatures in countries where unless you are up in the mountains, it is warmer all year than people in North America try to keep their house temperatures. below zero Celsius is again hard for them to accept as real. i was talking about winter to a friend and that it could easily get below -20C. i thought their eyes were going to pop out of their head. "but that's colder than a freezer", was their response. they just could not get their minds around temperatures that cold. i knew one person who went to Canada, who wore THREE winter coats at a time their first winter. and i can understand that. after all the last summer i was back in North America, i only took my jacket off and was really warm enough on the days they had "dangerous, high heat warnings" out. or when i was in the desert/badlands area in the US. they are quite simply unprepared. you can again tell them of the temperatures, but they just don't have any concept of that cold a temperature.

seriously pretty boy needs to be told to shut his trap about advertising that "everyone can go to Canada". the honest truth is that no matter how much people might want to help people, especially the poor from poor countries, there quite simply is no possible way they can all go to Canada. i know i could send him a few MILLION people just from one city in a small country. all of who are poor and deserving of a chance. but there is no way Canada could support them. especially since most of them would never be able to work. not through any fault of their own. but because they have no real education or skills that would be usable. which of course means that like many of those the idiot wants to bring to Canada, they would have to be completely supported by the government for their entire lives. not because they are lazy, but because they literally have nothing usable skill wise. in fact many don't even have enough education or skills to be productive in their own poor country. seriously just what could a person who may not have even gone to school, who go through garbage looking for junk to sell, do for a job in Canada to support themselves? all the moron is doing, is raising expectations of people and encouraging them to be greatly disappointed. he needs to be honest (probably even with himself) about the fact that Canada can not help so many people especially at once. and if he really wanted to help people around the world, he could work to help them in their home countries. it would not only help more people, but it would also be far cheaper on top of that.

join